Precisionaires

The book is a "10.0" in every caption: the Visuals (photos), the Book (design AND execution) and the G.E. (impactful insights and anecdotes).

Telling this story in a direct and unbiased way was a skillful endeavor, a metaphor for the corps itself. It resonates personally for me because it gives props to Bobby Hagglund who was my good friend for many years, though we met after his time with Osage.

It's easy to understand the super-hip musical approach of the Precisionnaires when you realize their brass guru was the trombonist in Haze:

On 5/2/2023 at 4:55 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

WOW!!! What a story!

Donors can still close checkbooks. I hear rumblings, unconfirmed, that this was happening before news of the delinquency status came out.

As for replacing with their own people, sure, I suppose, but it is not a fun process. (TBH, my whole relationship with Vanguard these last several years started with my initial interest to apply for the board, specifically to focus on DEI. I rescinded my interest and have kept my rationale confidential to protect Vanguard and current leadership.)

My real reflection on your question is: what power do stakeholders who can't talk with their checkbooks have? In a healthy non profit, their donations of time and experience are valued and integrated as equally as financial donors.

If your org is focused solely on money, finances, and donors as the primary ways of maintaining the institution, it's really easy to let the other types of stakeholders fall to the wayside. Totally fine in a for profit model.

But again, without experienced np pros in leadership, it's too temping to run logistically like a for profit and muck up the np model. I see no single np pro in Vanguard leadership with more than 3 to 5 years' worth of experience.  Rut roh.

No one wants me, a np professional, to come in and run a for profit business.  For obvious reasons.  But it works both ways.

2 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

WOW!!! What a story!

Well, you did ask for the story in your original post. And there are a lot more in the book, about people like Dan Crosser, Doug Denisen, Greg Orwoll, Mike Flack, Mike Nash...etc.

This "small town corps" left a mighty big footprint on the activity and I, for one, am happy to see that fact recognized.

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 8:14 AM, darkman said:

"76" was a fun summer with Osage...

I was a member of the Glassmen and we folded about a third of the way through the 76 season. I loved Osage in 75 and was watching their prelim performance at Toledo Key to the Sea in 76. Happened to be talking to a couple of their staff members and noticed they had a few holes. Next thing I knew, Me, a mellophone player finished out the season with them carrying contra. Apparently they left home with a small corps and just about every stop on tour picked up new members. It would have been really interesting to see where we would have finished in Philly that year if the whole corps had been together for a solid month. It was one of the best "Half Summers" of my entire Drum Corps career.

Edited by Bob Brady
words
  • Like 1