2023 Drum Corps Season – DCP/DCW COVERAGE – Shoremen Brass Classic – Avon Lake, OH (DCI)

Join me and some of the finest drum and bugle corps in the country for the 2023 Shoremen Brass Classic Drum Corps International competition in Avon Lake, Ohio on August 5th!

Good evening and welcome to Avon Lake Memorial Stadium in Avon Lake, Ohio, home of the 2023 Shoremen Brass Classic Drum Corps International Open Class competition! My name is Kevin Gamin, Managing News Editor of Drum Corps Planet, and I am here to give you LIVE! From the Stands coverage of every performing group tonight. The show starts in about half an hour, so be sure to join me at 7 PM for a night of incredible drum corps!

My view for tonight’s show:

Tonight’s view

Tonight’s lineup and schedule, courtesy of the CorpsClash app, available on iOS and Android:

Tonight’s schedule

Tonight’s weather forecast, courtesy of the CARROT Weather app, also available on iOS and Android:

Tonight’s weather forecast

First on the field in SoundSport is Rhythm in BLUE from Canton, Ohio. Their 2023 program is entitled “The House” and consists of:

Skate U
Thanks Mr. Brown

This is a laid back version of Bluecoats in some ways, which is part of the SoundSport experience, but the group has a full complement of sections, including 12 color guard members, currently on flag. The percussion, which playing on marching drums, starts off the show on stands in the back corner of the performing area. 

The opener is clearly Snarky Puppy, even for those who haven’t heard it before. It’s got that funky groove and fits so well with the brass (and sax) arrangements.

There is a horn player doing a full split while playing. Ow.

Sax soloist is up again. He’s set up in front of the mallet percussion section (not a front ensemble since they’re in the back). This would fit well in WGI Winds as well as SoundSport.

Tempo kicks up as we go into Thanks Mr. Brown. Snares and tenors are now standing on top of the bar props and wearing their harnesses and drums.

There isn’t drill and marching so much as staging and moving around the performance area.

Drums and horns now set up behind the bar while two featured guard performers are on top.