2023 Drum Corps Season – DCP/DCW COVERAGE – 2023 DCA Alumni Spectacular – Rochester, NY (DCA)

kevingamin

I wrote this in my review of mini corps for DCW, but Star United is the only mini corps where everybody in the audience stops talking. This year it’s because of both the music and the performance. You can tell that the corps put the work into a very difficult chart.

• Like 1

What’s amazing is how well I can hear the corps perform without any amplification because of how engrossed the audience is in the performance.

We’re even getting a little trombone from Star United, with one of the tubas and one of the baritones switching over for the closer.

Actually, I think the tuba’s playing on a bass trombone, and he is pushing air through that thing.

Star United:

Star United Star United Star United Star United

• Like 1

Next on the field is the Hamburg Kingsmen Alumni from Hamburg, New York. Their 2023 program consists of:

Once Upon a Time/Hallelujah from Hit The Deck
America
Cry Me a River
Ectasy of Gold/Ghost Riders in the Sky

Drum line is on the field and playing the corps on.

11 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

Star United:

Star United Star United Star United Star United

Kim Sommer, 1st bari on the right, in last photo.  He and his brother used to pick me up, drive about 40 miles to corps practice, and then home again, for free!

Edited by Mikah

One last member fo the corps, in full Kingsmen mascot regalia and on a scooter, makes their way onto the field to join the percussion. We can now begin.

Trumpet soloist opens the show with the intro selection.

1 minute ago, Mikah said:

Kim Sommer, 1st bari on the right, in this photo.  He and his brother used to pick me up, drive about 40 miles to corps practice, and then home again.

I’ve gotten to know Kim over the years after my brief stint with Star United back in 2010.

By brief I mean one performance. Some of us just aren’t worthy enough.

• Haha 1