Southwind ceasing operations

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

After last year’s show, I thought we’d see Southwind move closer to Gold and Spartans in 2024. It saddened me to see a Facebook post which I was sure would be an announcement about auditions to have such somber news. For me, what makes this different, and I would add sadder, is the finality. There’s no talk of hiatus or reorganization. I am sure they are being realistic and where they were inactive for a while understand the challenges of returning to the field, but it is too bad.

This group has done this before.  Brought it back from the dead.  Dealt with debt. Dealt with recruiting.

The costs go up every year. Volunteer and fundraising hours need to increase.

Perhaps they made the budget, saw the costs go up, saw who wants to raise money, and without more people wanting to help, it’s either do it yourself (which they’ve already done) or accept reality before you get on the road. 

it is sad,  I still have an SW pin on my jacket when we were under the same umbrella. But it would be worse to get 30 days into tour and there’s no money for food, or fuel, or any other number of things we’ve all watched (or were part of) happen.