1981 DCI Championships (VHS) Review

Hi Folks,

Great comments on this year.   All of the corps were great.   Being on the

field with Santa Clara was one of the most wonderful experiences in my life.

With the Madison Show, we were still trying to "find it" execution-wise.  After

this performance, the corps really started to click in all sections.  I wish

there was a Final's Broadcast to look back at.   We'll, at least we have the

recordings.

Personal Favorite - The Bridgemen Drumline - Those guys could drum their

tales off and yet were some of the coolest/nicest folks on the field.  It was fun

hanging with them and swapping exercises.   :)

Los Jonz

SCV Snare 81

Did you come away (like me) with a better understanding of the evolution of corps design and an appreciation for the performers, or did it just turn you off completely, or did you decide that 70's / early 80's is the acme of corps, or what?

Well, Mike, I haven't seen the video you mentioned (but I definitely will  :) ) I have watched some old Cavies and SCV tapes and I can say that I'm anything but turned off.  The video is not as good quality as the recent DCI stuff, but I actually liked most of those old shows better.  I really appreciate the precision in marching and color guard - something I find lacking today.  I can't say that I've seen enough yet to understand the "evolution of corps design" but I hope to get to that point someday.  I can see things that have changed and I know what I like and what I don't like, but I don't have a good historical perspective on how the changes were introduced, how quickly, etc.  But I'm going to have a lot of fun learning!!!

-- Andrew

Cadets 82-85...the first real changes

Did you come away (like me) with a better understanding of the evolution of corps design and an appreciation for the performers, or did it just turn you off completely, or did you decide that 70's / early 80's is the acme of corps, or what?

Well, Mike, I haven't seen the video you mentioned (but I definitely will  :) ) I have watched some old Cavies and SCV tapes and I can say that I'm anything but turned off.  The video is not as good quality as the recent DCI stuff, but I actually liked most of those old shows better.  I really appreciate the precision in marching and color guard - something I find lacking today.  I can't say that I've seen enough yet to understand the "evolution of corps design" but I hope to get to that point someday.  I can see things that have changed and I know what I like and what I don't like, but I don't have a good historical perspective on how the changes were introduced, how quickly, etc.  But I'm going to have a lot of fun learning!!!

-- Andrew

Cadets 82-85...the first real changes

76-77 bayonne.1st real changesIMO.

J

Bush home page shameless plug

bad beer shameless plug

My Webpage shameless plug

• 4 weeks later...

CNAL, nobody was coming out of the corner that year like we did in SCV, and nobody was rotating the way we did on the field. That was the year Galye let Pete and Fred pick the music, and we got shafted by the judges and Gayle let Pete take the blame.

A couple points regarding tenors...

First, it might be true that the Devils (and Float) were responsible for the first "snare book" parts for tenors, but SCV in 1980 paved the way for the "bongo tenor" sound so popular today when they fielded four sets of high quads and four low. (Which even today was an awesome idea and I remain amazed that nobody has done it since because it adds so much more musical depth to the battery). Also, if you listen to the quad solos in "Stone Ground Seven" you'll hear all sorts of snare stuff being played on the quads.

Secondly, I think one of the saddest aspects in tenor evolution is the complete loss of a gutsy, deep tenor sound as best exemplified by the Ludwig "Power Toms" with sound projectors used by corps in 1978 and 79. The Power Toms actually had a full (not cutaway) shell that really gave resonance and body to the sound. Today's cutaways may help projection, but they destroy the sound in my opinion.

If you listen to Phantom's shows both those years, you'll hear an absolutely beautiful, truly "tenor" tenor sound. (The writing in "Malambo" in '79 was as good as it gets--even by today's standards!)

It kills me to think that so many people today ridicule a lower tenor sound as "flub-a-dubs" and other epithets. For certain types of music, it is far superior to bongo-quints.

And by the way, why are we still calling them "tenors" today? They really should be called "altos" or "soprano drums." Because they sure as heck aren't in the true "tenor" range!

Scott

Guest GeorgeD
Scott:Which even today was an awesome idea and I remain amazed that nobody has done it since because it adds so much more musical depth to the battery

Cadets 1991 opener, Short Ride On A Fast Machine, they used multiple (3?) sets of tenors tuned differing ways to great effect.  This VERY cool idea is very much underutilized.

CNAL, nobody was coming out of the corner that year like we did in SCV, and nobody was rotating the way we did on the field. That was the year Galye let Pete and Fred pick the music, and we got shafted by the judges and Gayle let Pete take the blame.

True...but, there were other corps from other years starting from the corner. I disagree wtih your statement that "nobody was rotating the way we did on the field." That's simply not true....go look at the video again, and you'll see another corps rotating circles while moving them down field. Yes, I can understand why you say your corps got shafted. At that time the field judges didn't know what to make of it or know where they should stand.

True SCV did more asymmetrical drill than any other corps, but they shouldn't get all the credit for that year since they weren't the only corps in finals doing it.

Just my 2¢ worth!

CNAL

I agree with the precision comment earlier. The equipment handled by the guards..especially the Scouts and 2-7 is amazingly precise. I prefer 1980 final but then the vid I have is much better that year than the tape I have for 81 which is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy...

Flugelist

I agree with the precision comment earlier. The equipment handled by the guards..especially the Scouts and 2-7 is amazingly precise. I prefer 1980 final but then the vid I have is much better that year than the tape I have for 81 which is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy...

Flugelist

Yeah, I would prefer 1980 video too if I didn't know that the 1981 recording was taken in Whitewater. That was about a month before finals....and you know how much a corps can change it's performance during that time. I do have a copy of the 1981 prelims and finals performance our corps did. The staff took videos to show everyone. Let me just say, there is a BIG difference between the Whitewater show and  Montreal finals.

CNAL

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to see a video of the 1981 DCI Finals in Montreal.  I feel all the corps members got the shaft for this year because our FINALS performance was never broadcast.

Is this the only DCI finals that was not broadcast on television?