Appleton Review

OK, here is my FIRST EVER review of any drum corps show, period. So be nice to the rookie, eh??? Seriously, I am just learning how to do this stuff (and it's some work!), so I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me. PM me with any critiques, etc. (don't add them to this forum - it would just clutter up the thread, and embarrass me besides ). Oh, and if you wonder about the lack of references to specific instruments, that's b/c I don't know what the different brass instruments look like (eg, I can't tell a mellophone from a baritone from the stands). So, once again, feel free to PM me any tips you have on that.

Without further ado (but with some trepidation), here it is:

Appleton, Wisconsin 06/08/2002

Intro

The first show of the 2002 season was not without its obstacles to overcome. Typically held at Calder Field in Menasha, the show was moved this year to Fox Valley Lutheran High School in Appleton due to a graduation ceremony. The field had suffered from considerable recent rain, and up to an hour and a half before the show, was not even marked off. But the ground crew did a great job getting everything in shape, and all was ready by the beginning of the show. Attendance was high - the smaller stands at FVL weren't quite up to the task. Ehthusiasm was also high. Many of the fans had been to the Flag day parade downtown earlier in the day, and their appetites were whetted for more.

DCM is experimenting this year with a new judging format. In four of its shows, the judging panel will be a completely "high view" panel - there will be no on-field judges. This show was the first of these "high-field judge" shows.

Exhibition

The crowd was first treated to two exhibition performances, one by the Second Marine Aircraft Wing Band and one by the Lutheran Vanguard. The Marine band, though small, pumped out a lot of sound. The audience enjoyed their show, which was far more musical than visual. From the patriotic songs to the Star Wars strains, this band had the audience engaged, sometimes applauding, sometimes laughing, but always enjoying. The high point of the show was a narrated version of Battle Hymn of the Republic, during which five soldiers in fatigues ran on the field at one point and did the "Iwo Jima" pose. The crowd responded with raucous cheers, as patriotic fervor swept the stands.

The Lutheran Vanguard of Wisconsin, a band composed of members from eight high schools in Wisconsin, performed a standstill show to an enthusiastic audience. The music of the show, consisting of "Fantasia", "A Mighty Fortress", "Big Noise", "Navy Hymn", and "Street Hymn", was accompanied by flag work of the color guard, which surrounded the band in a semicircle.

Blue Stars (LaCrosse, WI)

The Blue Stars had the distinction of being the first corps to perform in a DCI event in the 2002 season. As with many corps this year, the Blue Stars are celebrating their history with numbers reminiscent of music from past years in their show entitled "3 Decades". One early-season glitch was immediately obvious: the Guard uniforms have not been completed yet. Undaunted, the guard took the field in white t-shirts and dark shorts. "Jewish Trilogy" begins with pit members facing the field, backs to the audience. The show opens with only horns. The pit remains facing the rear throughout this number, then comes in with a bang in "The Inferno". A couple of great rifle tosses accompany this fast-paced number, which features the percussion section. The guard took a break during "I Dreamed a Dream", which begins with a quiet xylophone passage into a nice horn solo/duet. They rejoined the show with flags and sabres to the closer, "Overture to Candide", which featured some very clean horn play, aside from some noticeable issues in the solo. The battery visual was a particular treat in this closing number.

Kilties (Racine, WI)

The first thing one notices about the Kilties, Sr., is that the corps is much smaller than last year. Based on a conversation with a couple of the Kilties' members, they are down about 30 members from last year at this point. The lower numbers did not, however, seem to impact their traditional "in your face" brass sound or their rapport with the audience. The show opens with "Henry the Fifth", and right away the talent of the horn line is evident. The honor guard, traditionally a stationary element of the show, begins to move in this number, heading toward the back of the field. "America the Beautiful" opens with the corps facing rear, as the honor guard moves from the rear corner of the field to the center along the back sideline. From there, they march up the 50-yard line as the corps turns around and blasts the audience with the high-impact point of the show. Swept again with patriotic fervor, the crowd responded enthusiastically. "Strike up the Band" was highlighed by a Kilties-style solo and trio and a Color Guard kick-line which drew appreciative laughs from the crowd. The number closed with an impressive company front brass passage. The show ends with "Four Scottish Dances" and the Kiltie classic, "Auld Lang Syne", with the Kilties' traditional high-note challenge at the end drawing the crowd to its feet.

Capital Sound (Madison, WI)

As Capital Sound took the field for their show, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", one question seemed to sweep through the audience: "What's that thing on the left side of the pit?" Looking like a giant bingo wheel covered in white canvas, this device was used to produce rustling sounds in the opening and third numbers. Featuring music from Elton John, Pink Floyd, and Kansas, this show is sure to be a crowd favorite this year. The show opens with Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend", which features a nice horn duet and a colorful accent from the guard. If you like Gumby, you'll love the whimsical guard feature in "Curious Carnival", which features six guard members dressed in what can best be described as green Gumby suits. The audience laughed appreciatively at the antics of these six. A couple of nice, clean solos and a silent flag drill with eye-catching silver flags highlight the third number, "On the Turning Away". The show closes with "Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas. This number features a powerful opening into a fast-paced marimba piece that was as much a treat visually as it was musically. An 8-set snare/cymbal line highlights the number both musically and visually, and drew cheers from the audience.

Americanos (Menasha, WI)

Performing in exhibition tonight, the Americanos took the field after intermission for their show entitled, "Polaris". Featuring "La Fiesta Mexicana" and "Symphonic Dance #3", the show opens with a bell solo into a horn trio. Silver flags and curved rifles enhance the show visually. The guard then brings in iridescent white backdrops as props, and highlights these with matching flags. A silent drill in "Symphonic Dance" is followed by a percussion/ guard passage that crescendos powerfully, then decrescendos back into a reprise of the silent drill. The audience responded well to the impact.

Pioneer (Milwaukee, WI)

As Pioneer took the field for its 2002 show entitled "Oliver", two things stood out visually: First, the pit stationed itself in the middle of the field, not on the front sideline; second was the presence of ten low platforms to be used as props. As it turned out, the props were never actually used in the show; this is obviously a part of the drill still under development. Also, the color guard was wearing the same uniform they used last year. The opener, a medley of three songs from "Oliver", featured a couple of solos and a duet, as well as an impressive percussion piece highlighted by a marimba/xylophone feature. The second piece, "As Long as He Needs Me", was again characterized by impressive percussion passages offsetting some issues in the hornline, particularly with the quieter passages. The closer, "Who Will Buy", started off with a greatly increased tempo and another solid percussion feature. The horn entry in this piece contributed to the high-energy feel.

Madison Scouts (Madison, WI)

As Madison entered for the final show of the evening, fireworks from Appleton's Flag Day celebration could be heard in the background. But the real fireworks were on the field, from the powerful entry to the final company-front blast. This was a show that entertained the crowd from start to finish. The opener, "Captain from Castille", began with the corps facing backward (much to the delight of the fans who could not find seats in the main stands). With snappy about-face moves, precise guard work with flags and rifles (especially for a first show), and the well-known Madison brass, the opener caught the audience's attention. The company front closing this first number brought cheers from the crowd, which Drum Major Joel Carter acknowledged by briefly turning around. (This, of course, drew even more cheers.) "Asturias" opened with the cleanest solo of the evening into a percussion feature highlighted by the marimbas and xylophones. A second percussion passage opened with bongos and marimbas. This passage featured a tenor/tympani highlight that drew extended applause from the crowd. The closer, based on "Conquistador" and "Saving El Dorado", was the most "Latin" piece of the show. Opening with various types of Latin drums played by the X-men (a group of guard members who double as percussionists), the piece brought the crowd to its feet as it climaxed in a fast-paced switchback drill into a final company front, complete with the traditional Madison "in-your-face" brass blowout.

"America the Beautiful" opens with the corps facing rear, as the honor guard moves from the rear corner of the field to the center along the back sideline.

Actually, the ballad is "God Save the Queen" which most Americans know better as "My Country 'tis of Thee" and the show will eventually end with the Malcolm Arnold piece (Scottish Dances) into "Syne" but in Appleton we just went right into Auld Lang Syne after Strike up the Band..

:)

Terri, I have seen Cap Sound twice now and as far as show content, they are my early-season favorites. They were a favorite last year, too - they always seem to come up with something imaginative and entertaining. Their color guard is truly striking - I love the way they all smile at the audience when passing for review. It's obvious that the kids love marching for Cap Sound, a great testimony to the corps.

--Andrew

Terri, I have seen Cap Sound twice now and as far as show content, they are my early-season favorites. They were a favorite last year, too - they always seem to come up with something imaginative and entertaining. Their color guard is truly striking - I love the way they all smile at the audience when passing for review. It's obvious that the kids love marching for Cap Sound, a great testimony to the corps.

--Andrew

Thanks Andrew! And in my completely biased opinion, they are best group of kids in the world!

:D

-Terri