G of Bb

sandmanra

72 members have voted

1. 1. G of Bb

• G
    • Bb

Well, believe it or not, it wasn't until last Thursday that I heard I multi key hornline---The Cavaliers. I was against the rule change in a big way as I am pretty much a traditionalist and all that good stuff.

With that said...after listenting to Madison first and then to the Cavies, this is what I now think.

G--projects better and is louder.

Multi Key--much better intonation, musicians seemed like they had better control in most ranges of the instruments.

Now, that could be due to several factors:

1. Cavaliers brass players are better trained than Madison's

2. The Cavaliers brass book is better written and with more balance than Madison's.

3. It really is the horns themselves that lend to the multi key brass overall sounding better than a G hornline.

I tend to think it's a combination of the three. Yes, I did notice the difference in sound that is directly due to the different keys. Yes, the Cavaliers sound was, musically speaking, much better than Madison's.

So...after that night, and hearing the Cavaliers the next night, I would say that, although I still prefer the G's, that the key really doesn't matter as long as the result is good.

One thing I did notice--the Cavies tubas did not project like a G contra. Is any company working on a tuba that will? It is really needed.

As long as drum corps sticks to brass and percussion and guard as it is now it will be drum corps. Adding electronics or woodwinds, no, that will not be drum corps.

Frank

After talking with many different instructors and hearing both horns and playing o both horns, I would have to say that I agree with the fact that the technique and ability of the players matters the most. Certainly Bb horns have their advantages and G horns have theirs as well. Depending on what you are going for as an overall sound should really weigh in the outcome of what horns you are using.

Bb offers much better intonation and much better control then the G horn. The G bugle offers much more power and volume compared to the Bb's. The Bb horn is easier to project on in the lower register I believe. The G horns tend to take much more air to produce a good sound in the lower register, why because simply put they are lower. I am a contrabass player myself and while I can produce really loud dark sounds on a G bugle in my lower register, I don't have to work nearly as hard on a Bb horn to produce that same sound. I was talking with Tom Santino this weekend about the players that are really needed to project on a G horn and players that are needed to play a Bb horn. He and I both agreed that it takes much more experienced and strong players to project on the g horn as opposed to the Bb horns. Same is true of baritone lines. Mello and sop lines I really did not get into.

Anyhow that is my 2 cents on this matter take it with a grain of salt, I am partially biased.

Shawn Carpenter

I would have to say that I agree with the fact that the technique and ability of the players matters the most.  

I totaly agree with that. When I first heard of the rule chance I thought "Why does Blue Devil and Cadets want to do that" They said that the Bb horns were much better to play. and I thought, is Devils hornline that bad ??? I don't think so. They were very good on to G Bugles and they are very good on the Bb.

I do think that you can see them as two different flavors of icecream. I like icecream a lot but I like the G flavor a litlle bit more. It is hard to explain why, try to explain to another person why you like vanilla ice (not the fake rapper :lol: ) better than strawberry , especialy when the other likes strawberry !

For me the G sound is a brighter, more "ringing" sound. You can play in tune , you just have to work harder for it.

Excuse me for the typemistakes, but on the other hand, I type better in Dutch than you do :P

Which sounds better? Bb. I like Bb horns more. The lines sound crisper and more in tune... of course, a lot of that is technique.

Which is drum corps? Obviously G bugles. I like G bugles because they provide more of a challenge and put (mostly) everyone on a level playing field of instrumentation due to the relatively small variety of horns available. There is a plethora of Bb bell front brass that can be used in comparison to G.

In the end, I like how the Bb horns sound, a LOT. They can still knock me over, just not the same way as a G line. I appreciate the advantages and drawbacks of both.

I guess my beef when it comes to G or F mello is my own personal experience. When I grab a G horn, I can play... the air flows freely through the horn, the sound is there. When I pick up an F horn, I just feel like I have to work to make any decent sound. There's just so much more resistance, especially in those Yamahas out there. And just the sound too! When I hear a good F horn line, it sounds buzzy... muffled. Same with a good F horn soloist. But a G mello! That's clear, crisp, and defined to my ears.

--Miker

• 2 months later...

For Drum Corps, "G-Bugles" ALL THE WAY!!! I think the sound of a horn line playing "G-Bugles" is a much more "exciting" sound than a line playing "Bb's". I think the "G's" produce much more of an "edge" to the sound, especially in the sop sections. And let's face it, it is "unique" to our "awesome" activity and gives a "unique" and "powerful" sound. Also, playing "G-Bugles" was also part of the unique challenge for many entering Drum Corps because they had to learn the differences from their regular "Bb" instruments. To me, this is also part of the fun. People are looking to see, "how well we can do it" on exotic "G-Bugles" and to me, this has always been part of the "charm" of Drum Corps!!!