G of Bb

sandmanra

72 members have voted

1. 1. G of Bb

• G
    • Bb

There's a reson why Star of Indiana would NOT sell their G bugles as a set to one buyer..........those horns were amazing. King G Bugles.

The bugles were half the reason why Star sounded so amazing.

The other half......................the technique.

I really don't have a preference. Woob is right, technique is what makes the sound of a hornline. Arranging style plays a part too. The biggest physical difference in a Bb line is the trumpet. Put a sop and a tpt next to each other and you'll see what I mean. But tubas, baris and mellos won't sound much different because their construction is so similar to a bugle.

Back to the point about technique; Think about the lines that have switched to Bb since 2000. BD, Cadets, Cavies, SCV, all sound very much like they did before the switch. (To my ears, intonation might be just a little better.) Some have suggested that corps can't play as loud on Bbs, but I think that is more a function of teaching than instrument change. Most people said SCV didn't lose ANY volume last year at all.

Interesting topic!

I believe that its not a matter of volume, but a matter of projection. I think the G bugles prjected much better than the Bb horns do. But I think that the Bb horns sound very good. Personally i dont really care which was better, it is more important on how they played them.

Bb or G.... what about F? When I look at the Cadets mellophone line when they played on G's and now on F's, I hear a HUGE difference. Back in the mid - late 90's, Cadets mellophone sounded awesome. They cranked out runs like anything, and you could hear those lines tearing through the ensemble like any good mellophone lick. I spent a lot of time watching the Cadets this year at rehearsals, warm ups, and competitions, and their F mellophones are absolutely pathetic now. I could hear something going on with the mellos, but I couldn't hear it at all. Those F horns just have absolutely no ability to project like the old G horns. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still love the Cadets mellophones when I do hear them play what they do, but I feel such a let down because they sound so weak now... :(

--Miker

Guest GeorgeD

Wow, regarding the F mellos, I feel the EXACT opposite.. To my ear, the F's are vastly superior.. and I also like the new Bb trumpets that are being used by Cadets this year.

As far as projection, lower notes project better in Bb, upper in G. My opinion again.

You should tell the f mellos in the band I teach. I can't get them to play soft enough. I think they're the same Yamahas Cadets use, and the're like friggin' megaphones! I know I'm talking about a band vs. drum corps, but still...

Miker,

I thought exactly the opposite the first time I heard the Cadets on Bb/F in 2000. I thought that the mellos were overpowering the trumpets, esp the 2nds and 3rds.

Last year I thought they balanced very well.

Mike