help needed with baritone

bandyliciousgirl

i need help learning baritone desperately  

12 members have voted

1. 1. i need help learning baritone desperately

• i need youre help desperately
    • im new to this site

When I first learned bugle baritone in 71, I found as a trombone player it was useful to simply ignore clef and look at the fingerings.

In other words my lack of music theory helped keep things from getting overly complicated. Mind you I cant sight transpose to save my soul but trombone parts rarely need it.

Oh good it's not just me. Maybe it's one of those 70s things.. :P

To be honest I was in a corps that was rebuilding and needed all the bodies it could get. All the horn instructor cared about was the sound coming out of the bell not if I was reading the notes or following the fingering marks. And yes, as a trombone player I was reading only the fingering marks my first year.

PS - I was a computer science major in college, I knew better than to try music theory. :huh:

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol cant he;p u there bc i am on trumpet but if u have tips on how to played hiyer im lisening lol

also i had a idea they shold make a specail baritone that u can played in trebel clef to just my thout tho lol

There isn't a special baritone that plays in treble clef. Same baritone. If you read in treble (if I remember correctly) then the music will be in Bb. If you read it in bass then it's written in C.

Edited by sburstall

Well I was originally a trombone player. So I learned bass clef first. My younger brother tried trumpet for six weeks so I had his horn and fingering chart to learn Bb Treble clef. Which came in handy when learning tenor clef, which is basically Bb Treble clef with a Bass Clef key signature. I learned treble by visualizing the notes up two lines and adding two flats to the key. Plus accidentals on B and E were relative to the Bb scale. Only two out of twelve possible execptions there. Which weren't exceptions on tenor clef. And as a trombone player you get that C clef thing that can be put on pretty much any line, so the same rules apply, just to a different adjustment. You can of couse do the reverse going from Treble to Bass clef. Transposition ala clef as some music theorists would call it.

Which is moot in most cases since most corps I've been in print the parts in Bass AND Treble clef. Although some back in the day only printed treble clef for all parts. I actually prefer to play in G lines using Treble Clef so I can keep the difference in sound a little more out of mind, since I read bass clef when playing in any/all other groups other than drum corps. Now that I play in a Bb corps, I like everything in Bass Clef since it's what I'm used to reading when playing horns pitched in Bb. To each there own. Although I general end up with a mixed book(treble and bass) since I technically read any clef, and get the left overs after everyone else has taken their pick of parts. It's really only an issue when sight reading. An issue for me anyway, since I don't always bother checking what the clef is before I start reading/playing the parts.

Sad part is the OP was made 3 years ago and was the only post the person ever made. :(