Technically couldn't corps...

L1STEN2311

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - they have to have valves. I believe that trombones and sousaphones are specifically prohibited in the wording of the DCI rule.

Sousaphones are legal in DCA, according to the wording of the rule, although I have a suspicion that any corps trying to use them would get booed off the field.

Don't know about trombones, but sousaphones would have been allowed were they in G.

Sousaphones are legal in DCA, according to the wording of the rule, although I have a suspicion that any corps trying to use them would get booed off the field.

or probabaly more like get pushed off the field.... :huh:

Laughed off?

Eclipse at thier first couple of shows had Sousas this year, they got penaltied for it, they're shipment of contras hadn't come in yet so they borrowed them from the same place they got most of thier equip and uniforms i believe. But the penalty didn't seem to hold them back much at all. They still had a great sound and great corps, too bad they couldn't make a finals trip thier first year out.

I pulled out my DCI rulebook to check and it defines a bugle as a straight, bell front instrument pitched in any key.

Sousaphone is not straight.

DCA has a bit longer definition (no more that 3 valves, except contras which can have 4), but is basically the same. Straightness is not mentioned, so you could use Sousaphones, but as I mentioned before, you'd probably get mugged before you took the field.

The rules have never been widely available for either DCI or DCA - not sure why.