Best walking bass line in a jazz show

ECJ_Tuba

Nother add in here. Anyone else diggin' Blue Q's bassline in the opener in 03? I forget exactly where, but you know it when you hear it. Hella tight. And spottin' a Div. 3 hear, but I was hypin' 01' Teal with the Metallica music. Yeah, biased, but I still remember those basslines in For Whom the Bell Tolls. So onward from the shameless promotion... :lee:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cool thing is back in the day with only 2V horns man.....having a non repeting bass line with no pattern to memorize bye. That must of been hard to learn. I wish I marched back then, the good ol days hehehe

One more to add, 27th Lancers durring niner-two theres this one part were the contras just lay it down. Pertty Sweet.

Edited by ECJ_Tuba

I had the chance to play a two-banger in 01'. Light as a feather! We used to challenge each other to see who could lip the pitches enough to play a chromatic scale. Tough thing when you only have two valves. And for low notes... (Some of the early generation contra players may remember this) Since the main tuning slide was at easy reach with the left hand we would drop it as far out as it would go. Then you could get another 2 or 3 steps down. And be in tune. Yeah yeah, I'm off-topic. I'm done now.

I had the chance to play a two-banger in 01'. Light as a feather! We used to challenge each other to see who could lip the pitches enough to play a chromatic scale. Tough thing when you only have two valves. And for low notes... (Some of the early generation contra players may remember this) Since the main tuning slide was at easy reach with the left hand we would drop it as far out as it would go. Then you could get another 2 or 3 steps down. And be in tune. Yeah yeah, I'm off-topic. I'm done now.

Ahhh man i envy you guys. that must of been awsome. Were they kings just wondering.

BD '86, Crossmen '03 and (even though it's not jazz), Phantom '95 come to mind.

Agree. 86 Dev's was just a great horn line.

95 Regiment had some great contras. They used their talent and hid their non-talent wisely that summer.

And well I'm just biased towards that Crossmen.

Thanks.

83 BD. Everyone Loves the Blues. Not the hardest but you said walking, not running.

Heh...I was thinking of the line in 84, Doug....Latin Implosion. It's the 8 bars right after that LOUD power chord when we turned backfield about halfway through the piece...about where we switched from 5/4 to 4/4...the contras are sliding right along the front sideline behind the pit

I LOVE that line!

83 IS good tho.

And for a fast one I'll throw out 83 Freelancers in the opener...'course you could hardly call it a WALKING bass line, since the contras never really left the front sideline!

QUOTE (Phirefenix @ Dec 9 2003, 11:48 PM)

Ahhh man i envy you guys. that must of been awsome. Were they kings just wondering

We had one King K-90. We actually found out it was used by Star. Forget what years. The rest of us played Dynasty II's. Man those were old. My horn was only 8 years younger than my dad. Still worked well though. Makes me kinda miss the old G's. Bb just doesn't have the history behind it. Though in ten or fifteen years, we'll be considered the "pioneers" of the new Bb hornlines.

QUOTE (Phirefenix @ Dec 9 2003, 11:48 PM)

Ahhh man i envy you guys. that must of been awsome. Were they kings just wondering

We had one King K-90. We actually found out it was used by Star. Forget what years. The rest of us played Dynasty II's. Man those were old. My horn was only 8 years younger than my dad. Still worked well though. Makes me kinda miss the old G's. Bb just doesn't have the history behind it. Though in ten or fifteen years, we'll be considered the "pioneers" of the new Bb hornlines.

Thats awsome....i kinda miss G too..I member back in the winter 02 i had to play on a 1V piston with a rotery 2V were the thumb was....It was awsome. Had a really nice warm tone, kinda miss it.

We had one King K-90. We actually found out it was used by Star. Forget what years.

My guess....it was probably with the corps for all 10 years they played G brass (9 DCI + the first year with Canadien Brass). Since they started out full size and 10 years is WELL within the lifetime of well cared for brass...

'Course, it COULD be from the 86 show (the one where they had 18 contras for the Close Encounters segment), but I don;t know if they bought 6 extra horns just for that one part, although they could've held onto them for spare parts.

The K-90 is a great, GREAT contra!