Need info on drum costs

Jim Alberty

Working on a revised budget estimate for A/G - we've been fortunate that a local school district has agreed to loan us a basic set of Yamaha drums to use for our first, parade year - but I also know it's in our best interest to replace them in the next.

So, as I'm revising budgets for the next three years can someone here give me a little advice...

1 - what company should I buy them from?

2 - at a guess, how much would I pay upfront - brand new, off the shelf - my percussion person's out of town and can't be reached to answer and I want to update my data - assume no discounts or special deals (I like to plan for the worst case scenario.

Best value for the best price - say 4 snares, 3 quads, 5 basses - standard sizes, nothing strange

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

regards - Jim

Atlantic Guardian

If you can take used rather than new, Blue Stars are selling their battery equipment

From the Marketplace Forum...

This season the Blue Stars will be turning over our entire battery.

These beautiful Yamaha instruments were purchased in late July during the 2002 season.  Since they only have 1 1/2 seasons of use under thier belt, they are in great shape!

The following are available.

7 Yamaha Snares: 14" w/ MTS (two of the snares have never been used)

4 Yamaha Tenors: 6-6-10-12-13-14

5 Yamaha Basses: 18", 22", 24", 28" 32"

Each instrument includes one head per drum and one carrier. 

The basses come with aluminum t-bar carriers.  Snares and tenors come with fiberglass vest carriers. Both made by Randall-May.

Cost is $11,250.  Sorry, individual instruments or sections are not available.  We're selling the battery as one single unit. 

Buyer handles all shipping and associated costs.

Please send inquiries to director@bluestars.org

I can vouch that that equipment's in very good shape and is only a year and a half old.

If you can take used rather than new, Blue Stars are selling their battery equipment

Oh, I'd like to but we're still pulling the fundraising end of this together - I suspect they want cash on the barrelhead now - very tempting - I'm trying to spread the costs out over three years - spend the first year raising enough money to buy battery at the end, then, assuming we decide to compete on the field, mallets, then the third year, tympani. Same with horns.

Things like cymbals and other whatnot we can scrounge, I think.

If we plan on buying a complete set new and a good used set presents itself for half the price we'll take it and run - I want the budget I'm writing now to be the "worst case" scenario so I can figure out how much money has to be raised from which sources.

I want to use the loaned equipment to show the product we'll produce - then parlay that into more corporate and foundation support - as I look at the numbers, the old donation pyramid looks more real - a bunch of little private donations at the bottom, rising slowly to a smaller number of larger donations.

**sigh** regards - Jim

Atlantic Guardian

As a good place to start, might I recommend Columbus Percussion?

http://www.columbuspercussion.com/

They have a "school and educational" catalog with the big (Yamaha, Pearl, Premier, Dynasty) drum corps drum makers in there, and they've got pretty representative pricing. 

Hope that helps!

Mike

It helps very much - thank you kindly - it's good to go over the budget estimates every once in a while or you forget how crazy, insane, illogical, useless and obsessive starting a drum corps really is... :sshh:

regards - Jim

Atlantic Guardian