What if......

I wouldn't want to see repeat performances of old Anaheim in a modern jr. corps sense.....having said that, in an Alumni sense, Royal Airs still look good doing it mostly old-school as it was done with such obvious respect for the Original Royal Airs.....audience dug it, and it was one of the most watchable performances at DCA a few years ago, at least for me viewing on DVD.

Could Kingsmen compete today? Honestly, it's a long way from the beginning stages of a modern drum corps to the "...top of the world, Ma!" at DCI Finals.....BUT it HAS been done before in a relatively short time!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naaawwwww....I was really suprised it lasted as long as it did. I put a lot of the credit on some very dedicated parents. I don't know what the problems were, I still realy don't care, all I know is that in 1976 the xylophone I played, most of the keys were cracked and it was made of that composite material, Zylon or some kinda C#@%. '77 wasn't much better.

I love to this day the people I marched with in Kingsmen and feel that they will always be a part of my family. But it's day had passed.

To bring back any "dead" corps they would have to do that "screen saver" style drill and play a lot of notes. I would rather remember Anaheim as they were.

Maybe that is why many former defunct powerhouses are returning as senior corps...Anaheim any other way than before would be an oddity......I will forgive you for not remembering me Mike!

I will forgive you for not remembering me Mike!

Huh??? Who the $#@@ is this????

Hehehehehehehe.....

Edited by Tansea

The real question is if 27th had made finals in 1986 would they have hung on longer?

I believe 2-7 had some very serious financial problems as well. This probably would have prohibited them from taking the field the following season. What is that old adage, "money is the root of all evil?" In this case, how true.

well, actually, it's "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil", but that's another subject.... :P

I think whoever made the point about other '77 finalists who have since fallen by the wayside nailed it. It wouldn't have mattered if Kingsmen or Oakland Crusaders made finals that year in the long run - the DCI corps that have survived and thrived since that period are the ones with stable managements, dedicated volunteer bases, and good money handlingand fundraising skills. Anaheim, for all their success on the field, was always a little weak in the management department when compared to SCV, Madison, BD, Cavaliers, etc.

when you looked at the '78 show, you could tell they were on life support already. Looking at the Bridgemen starting in '84, you could see the same thing. Making finals one more time wouldn't have made any real difference.

what you forget is that we didn't mature at all in '78 from '77....In fact after we returned from first tour and re-wrote the drill, any of us that had half a clue knew that it was the beginning of the end.

When you take a look back, in all reality the powerhouse Kingsmen's life was very short ('69-'74) with an attempt at it in '76-'78. But the impact that "Big Blue" made on drum corps still lives on today...... The original style of the Kingsmen could NEVER win in today's DCI world...so let's just watch the DVD's, listen to the tapes and humm the old tunes ......o" so very hard to go........... :(

well, actually, it's "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil", but that's another subject.... :P

I think whoever made the point about other '77 finalists who have since fallen by the wayside nailed it. It wouldn't have mattered if Kingsmen or Oakland Crusaders made finals that year in the long run - the DCI corps that have survived and thrived since that period are the ones with stable managements, dedicated volunteer bases, and good money handlingand fundraising skills. Anaheim, for all their success on the field, was always a little weak in the management department when compared to SCV, Madison, BD, Cavaliers, etc.

when you looked at the '78 show, you could tell they were on life support already. Looking at the Bridgemen starting in '84, you could see the same thing. Making finals one more time wouldn't have made any real difference.

Your post rings true...we knew in the Kingsmen after 2nd tour 1977 that we were heading for a decline...from what I saw, management of the corps was very fragmented and there were some power struggles that even persist today (see xkingsmen.com). What I hold on to, and I am sure many alumni can agree with, is the opportunity we were given to march and perform with a true legend...the best example of this I experienced at CYO Nationals in 1977. The east coast corps made us feel like stars when we hit the starting line. As a young 16 year old baritone player who was new to drum corps this made for precious memories I still enjoy today and that my kids are probablty tired of hearing about......The Kingsmen gone, but never forgotten!

what you forget is that we didn't mature at all in '78 from '77....In fact after we returned from first tour and re-wrote the drill, any of us that had half a clue knew that it was the beginning of the end.

When you take a look back, in all reality the powerhouse Kingsmen's life was very short ('69-'74) with an attempt at it in '76-'78. But the impact that "Big Blue" made on drum corps still lives  on today...... The original style of the Kingsmen could NEVER win in today's DCI world...so let's just watch the DVD's, listen to the tapes and humm the old tunes ......o" so very hard to go........... :(

Mummert...the chance to rekindle old frienships and memories though is priceles....you are right,......."so very hard to gooooooo" B)

The real difference it would have made was with the members, we worked REALLY HARD,alot of blood sweat and tears! We were also very young, I think the average age was 17 years old. Remember we missed finals by 3 and 1/2 tenths of a point. Dropped equipment!!! We were robbed!! and everyone knows why, but that's another subject!

Dave Devlin

Kingsmen Snare 1977 1978

Edited by 77kingsmensnare