Sound Quality

GreenMelloMan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, definitely diggin' the euphs. However, I have a really hard time hearing the mellos/frenchies in that show. I'm not sure if it's just because the french horns are playing the lead bari line or what, but I'd love to hear some screaming mellos in there.

• 5 months later...

I have never heard "Phantom" play an entire show that I would have considered "bad balance". Granted, there have been several years that I heard them and thought that they were a little "bottom heavy" in certain sections of the show, but for me, it just made the show more exciting, to hear what their wonderful low brass section could do! But, I've always felt that it was part of their "dark" style of playing and they do tend to be "bottom heavy" in a lot of cases. But for them, I think it works well and just adds to their very beautiful, rich and powerful sound!!!

It's all a matter of what you are looking for when it comes to sound quality. For the most part many of the top DCI corps have a really good quality of sound.

Breaking it donw now, PR like to get that bigger low brass sound. It translates to the idiom that they play also. The also have mor elow brass out there then any other corps as well, and this achieves what they are trying to do. They have a tendancy to have edge on their soudn at the extreme upper volume levels, which in a classical idiom is ok. When you listen to a lot fo classical works at the louder moments the low brass has a certain bite to it. Phantoms upper brass does it's job really well and they achieve an impressive blend overall.

Now you compare BD.....can we say apples to oranges. BD plays in an entirely different idiom. I would relate their jazz sound toward more of a Stan Kenton type of sound. Thick lush baritone chords played with a full sound and the edge taken off. (Actually this is more of a Hank Levy thing then Stan Kenton) Their contras pretty much provide the pulse like the bass. Your sop voice (well trumpet now) is there and then your alto voice pretty much follos along what saxes would play. Jazz in general has a certain brightness to it which is why people say that BD is more mid range and top heavy. A lot of it has to do with the scoring too. Wayne writes his parts up there for all voices.

When yo begin comparing other corps you can see more of this sort of thing. Me personally I don't care for the edge in any idiom, however if it fits into the idiom it's ok.

^0^

I'm on that bandwagon too that feels Phantom puts out the best brass sound when they are at their best (1989-1991, 1993, 1996, 1997). 1996 to me, live, was the most incredible brass performance I have ever witnessed. I think Cesario called them "searing" -- and to others' points, when you listen to top classical recordings from top symponies, when you reach the climax points with brass, a "quality" edge comes through -- it's entirely in keeping with the mood intending to be set at those points. Even more challenging is putting out a quality, supported sound at very soft levels, and even the PR of the past few years still excells at that as well.

Harvey Phelps

when i think bass trombone i think loud whoa in your face did you hear that brass holy poo. when i think baritone i think whew, thats so warm and rich. makes me wana cuddle with my girl in a park at night. i don't think any corps marches bass trombones, so i can't think why you would want that sound on a baritone. Or a euphonium. edge? good???? maybe if you were poundin' out the pedal notes... even then, i don't understand why you would ever screw over the quality of sound... i suppose it all depends on your definition of "quality". or maybe just what you like to hear. maybe i'm missing something here, and baritones ARE supposed to sound like trombones... man...have i been lost.

ok ok, so drum corps limits the brass ensemble to certain instruments. and if you are playing some arrangement of a piece where the trombone is wailin the loud notes you gotta do somethin.... but really... scv gets it...bd and cavies get it... something about that edge of the other corps that drives low brass lovers crazy. they love it. maybe if the corps would sustain a solid consistant sound without change in quality....maybe then i could handle the edge. they'd fall under the less quality but very effective catigory. for now i'm diggin' the hornlines with the same GOOD quality of sound in all ranges and volume levels.... but balance comes next!!! i only talk of low brass because that seems to be what everyone's talkin' about....