Star's guard

BennyASU

So whats the deal? Why did Star's guard hardly ever use weapons? In 93 they had those 2 sticks during Medea (which i loved and though worked great for them), but thats about it. Anyone have a guess as to why?

Probably just a choice they made. In the early years, I recall SOI having rifles I remember a few spinning pandas in 1987 !!!

in 1989, they had maces, actually sabres too.

Never really thought about it, I feel their guard was very underated !!

Especially the 93 edition, clarity, and execution galore !!

~G~

• 3 weeks later...

I think (just IMO) Star was more about the overall visual package, not necessairly the hardest work. So, back in the days of less than 39 inch rifles and less than 37 inch sabres, weapons wern't all that visual. Heck, weapons still aren't all that visual (and this from someone who spends most of the show spinning a rifle or sabre).

During the British show, the maces really fit, but I guess it was a visual decision that weapons otherwise didn't fit in with their show.

Could it be an instructor issue? Maybe they don't have anyone that can choreograph and clean rifle and sabre work. Just a thought.

Could it be an instructor issue? Maybe they don't have anyone that can choreograph and clean rifle and sabre work. Just a thought.

that could be it, but i would find that hard to believe. I mean, it was Star...they had $$$. And if they could find someone to clean those mellophone lines, then sure they could have found someone to clean weapons! :P

Dont forget in 1993 they also had sabers too. I heard that in 1993 they were supposed to add rifles mid-season but never got around to it. In 1989 and 1992 they spun large gold poles, whatever you want to call them. I also don't think rifles and sabers became almost mandatory in todays color guard until the mid 90s. 1993 was one of the best drum corps shows ever. I miss them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but outside the top corps, very few used weapons during the late 80's. It was only in the early 90's that they became more widespread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but outside the top corps, very few used weapons during the late 80's. It was only in the early 90's that they became more widespread.

Not true at all.....almost everyone had Rifles in the late eighties

Off the top of my head...1989

12th - Crossmen - yes

11th - VK - yes

10th - Freelancers - no

9th - Suncoast Sound YES!!!!!!!

8th - Bluecoats - yes

7th - Madison Scouts - yes

6th - Star of Indiana - yes

5th - Cadets of B Cty - yes (high guard)

4th - Blue Devils - no

3rd - Cavaliers - yes

2nd - Phantom LOL can't remember but I say no

1st - SCV no

12th SkyRyders yes

11th Bluecoats yes

10th Spirit yes

9th Suncoast yes

8th VK yes

7th Star yes

6th Phantom no(high guard) <interesting>

5th Cavies yes

4th Garfield yes

3rd BD no

2nd SCV yes

1st Madison yes

12th Skyryders yes

11th Bluecoats yes

10th Spirit yes (high Guard)

9th Suncoast yes

8th VK yes

7th Star yes(pandas twirled them)

6th Madison...um, of course !!

5th Phantom no

4th BD yes (yellow ones)

3rd Cavies yes

2nd SCV yes(first toss was a quad)

1st Garfield yes

......Most defiently corps used weapons in the "late" eighties, if Im wronf with some of these, please let me know...Im not too proud !!! : )

~G~