Exersizes to Improve Range, Tone....etc

trumpets

i just bought a book called "Top tones for the trumpeter, 30 modern etudes" by W.M. Smith. Its an awesome book. I've working my range in my daily routine and in my practice times, but that only goes so far. to really make your range useful, you have to have experience with music in the high range. Its a very lyrical book, and the melodies themselves are not that hard, but you combine them with the length of the phrase and the increasing range, its a great book. there are just some "arban" type things in it too, thats re-written for the upper range. And since i've started playing from this in my 3rd or 4th set of the day, man. I can pick my horn up and do 3 octave G scale, with little effort now. Course i've been workin on my range since the begining of this school year, and i just bought this book. i can't wait till the effect of this book starts having on me... i recommend it to everyone that wants a good supplimental cheap book for high real trumpet playing, not just scales and just pointless screaming that we all do for fun anyways... :)

Edited by cheezedogg 23

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS a come back player (20 years away from the horn) I had to sit back and access what it was I wanted to accomplish in my first year back in the saddle.

Realistically being a lead player this year was not a priority or a reality.We have some very gifted sopranos on our hornline that have never put down their horn and are fabulous players.Any one of them could go out and be lead player in any corps.

I realized very early what I needed to accomplish.I wanted to be a very solid 3rd soprano player and give my best effort to the part.

Not having the funds to hire a private instructor I decided on three basic things that I want to accomplish.

1.Improve intonnation

2.Improve endurance

3.Improve reading skills

I started by reading as much information as I could from drum corps web sites and trumpet websites.Then I seaked the advice of the proffessionals and experianced lead horn players.The list of suggestions were very long but there were three things that kept getting repeaded by the experianced lead players over and over again.

A.Lip Slurs

B.20 min G exersise

C.Solid warm ups and cool downs.

Following this great advice I start my day with a 20 min G exersice and then follow that by lip slurs out the wazoo and then on to practice music.I finish each practice much the way it started with more Lip slur's,scales and a final 20 min G cool down.

I have noticed a vast improvment in the last 30 days in Intonnation and Endurance.Also as consolation prize I have even gone from a solid C above the staff to a solid FF and crunching out a weak gg and sometimes straining a AA.

I am still a long way away from where I was but I am starting to feel some real confidence in myself and my horn.

Edited by camel lips