Columbus Show 6/17

DCI is not killing the Scouts. The fans are not killing the Scouts. The Scouts are killing the Scouts.

BRAVISSIMA!

friend of Ipecac, even though he's a supporter of those D### C###ts !!

Goiffrey, Jgefffrei, gjeffreee.... Let's hope BD found some GE over the winter:)

When I was a film critic, my boss implored me to "find good in every film" i reviewed. Most of the time, I could. Then, someone wrote calling me a "left-wing liberal soccer mom" for being light-hearted about awful films (after all.. the actors, directors, editors, etal TRIIIIIIIIIED so hard!). I chuckled at this wake-up call but did not turn into an "I hate everything!" critic. Now that I've realised that film criticism is one of life's biggest wastes of time (tell 'em how horrible Armageddon is, and they'll pay for it twice), I can revert to drum corps and calling thrid down plays from Ohio Stadium's AA deck.

I think one of the natural reactions from folks is to nod solo to criticism but outwardly oppose it. When Paul Tsongas was running for Pres in '88, a deadbeat asked him "what are you going to do to find me a job?" His response: "It's not the President's job to find you a job." Everyone concurred...alas, Tsongas got about 2 votes in the primary. Why? Because although anyone with sense AGREES, they don't want to be seen as "heartless."

Well, when I see shows full of heart, I'll let you know.

Yours from the Phantom Regiment 2002 (band)wagon.... B)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended the Toledo sow last Saturday, so I've seen a few of these shows........I know not a lot of people will give the Glassmen a lot of credit, and I'm one of them, but their show is not as boring as I've seen written on here. I do have a few friends that march with the GMen an I always harass them for being boring.......but honestly I think they were more exciting than Madison, I waited like last year to be absolutely wowed by their sound and it never happened...The Cavaiers show is slow for the first half before it gets real entertaining, so I think people will like Glassmen more than they think.....maybe it's just me, and I like the huge sound jazz corps stuff.....oh yeah, Bluecoats have a sweet show and I think if one of the top 7 from last year has a bad year....they will be next to move up........haven't seen the others yet though, so...theres my two cents worth

Yes.. it was harsh, but I shan't make apologies.. I had surgery last week and couldn't even say hello to all my buds I only see in stadia (24 stitches in my big, fat mouf).

Really? It's June? Oh.. allow me to retract... :lol:

When I saw The Cadets at this show last year, I was harsher... granted ,my first "viewing" of them annually makes my knees weak. I cannot explain what the corps does to me emotionally.. but that repertoire was crap (I'm STILL stymied as to how they soared in GE in Buffalo!). I was thoroughly disappointed in the entire production and let it be known. Granted, I give 'em balls for doing what others don't: rather than watering it down, they added about 60,000 notes. hehe lost 'em a Brass award, but won some respect.

I realize that the kids---even the Scouts---read this stuff. Well? Put yourself in the public eye, and take your licks. Here's what one highly regarded NY Book reviewer had to say about my first published piece:

"It reads like a gigantic sloth, leaving trails of bodily waste up and down the tree."

Ouch!!! I laughed all the way to the deposit slip.. and Madison (etal) should rest assured that even if the color guard stands on the 50 and takes a noisy dump (which I'd prefer over the alleged flag-spinning), the crowds will shriek and want more.

By the way.. i omitted a positive: their show flies by.. seemed like about 7 minutes. WAY TO GO! YAYYYYYYYY! Short and (un)sweet. YAYYYYYYY! (who gets that high-larious reference?)

Seriously, I know it's June... I've seen June shows for decades (remember June 3rd shows?). Take heart in the fact that it only took about 2 minutes for me to become rabid about Phantom again:) B)

I like the honesty Ipecac. It's refreshing.

When we join a corps, we know what we're getting into. No need to sugarcoat it.

-Terri

It's funny when people take offense to honest reviews in June. What they don't realize is that these same people (the ones writing the reviews) will be saying things like, "Man, this corps has come a long way since June" when August rolls around. They'll be writing things like "The re-writes this corps did were perfect" or "this show makes sense now that it's all done...."

June drum corps is bad. Even the Cavies, Cadets, and BD look bad in June. Don't take offense!

What they don't realize is that these same people

(the ones writing the reviews) will be saying things like, "Man, this corps has come a long way since June" when

August rolls around.

i concur. (and i stink at quotes) For instance, I drove to Bayonne in '94 to see Cadets and Boston in their first show. I liked Boston better. Not a fan of YET ANOTHER West Side Saga rehash, I was thoroughly disappointed in Cadets' performance (the crowd was a little bored, too). And the guard was quite stinky, especially after the last few seasons (I saw their opening shows in 92 and 93.. the guard was fantastic for June!!).

My buddies and I traveled to a late July show, and I had warned them how blah Cadets were.. well, we went nuts (as did the crowd). The sponsor "forced" them to remarch the entire thing afterward! (and the next year at the Columbus show, they lost to BD but had already been assigned the post-show concert)

On a different note, the Les Mis production literally made us cry in July... by KC, it was watered down and not worthy of a top-5 placement (save the guard)... In Buffalo, I nearly got up for a smoke during Phantom's finals show (I saw them practically every show last yr).. but I stayed and was AMAZED how much energy they injected into that one last show. That's what makes this fun..

I was thinking.. on the 7 minute drive home... T-shirts:

Marion Glory: "We're conquering Ohio! One city at a time!"

Scenic City: "Tennessee'in' is Believin'! (apologies to Matt Groening)

Americanos: "We were better without the battery!"

Cap Reg: "Holy s###! We're HUGE!"

Blue Knights: "He told me to BURN things!" (ahem.. Denver)

Madison: "Call me! I'm free Saturday, August 10th!"

Phantom: "We may LOOK like a train wreck, but ######, we SOUND great!"

Glassmen: "Euthanizing fans since 1961"

Thanks! That was my biggest laugh of the day!

the problem with the biatching and moaning is that most of it comes from people who marched a top 12 corps themselves. Those people are often times the most opinionated and biased people in the activity (next to the judges).

I truly miss marching in my first corps, the Union Pacific Rivercity Railmen, back when we only marched parades and did standstill performances as our show. Some of my favorites were the 64 count moves and park and blow the stands down for the next 128. The music was the show and it was good and it was fun to play and listen to. I know those shows were way more entertaining than some of the cookie cutter shows that are being produced by several top corps today...

the problem with the biatching and moaning is that most of it comes from people who marched a top 12 corps themselves. Those people are often times the most opinionated and biased people in the activity (next to the judges).

I truly miss marching in my first corps, the Union Pacific Rivercity Railmen, back when we only marched parades and did standstill performances as our show. Some of my favorites were the 64 count moves and park and blow the stands down for the next 128. The music was the show and it was good and it was fun to play and listen to. I know those shows were way more entertaining than some of the cookie cutter shows that are being produced by several top corps today...

I marched both. Smaller corps, finalist. I guess I am missing your point. Not to mention, why is it #####ing and moaning? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and as marching members, we need to be leathery enuf to take it. I had to take a little criticism about my corps from a relative last night. and he was right.

It's June, there's a lot of dirt out there. And there should be. It's not suppose to be clean June 17th. If it was, where would you go?

It's what happens in the next less than two months that counts. Maxing out your rehearsal time and taking the necessary steps to get better. Cleaning up and keeping your eye on the prize.

JMHO,

-Terri