Columbus Show 6/17

I like people who review the way they feel. It's THEIR opinion. You don't have to agree with them, they are simply reporting what they saw. I like some of the tshirt ideas (especially Marion's!). I saw bits and pieces of two shows this weekend (Orrville...I was on the field so couldn't really get much and Columbus....I was kind of all over and only saw PR and Pioneer and heard a little of Gmen). I did get two good looks at PR and my take on them is that they are very good from an ensemble point of view in all sections and that's where they are scoring. However, their field numbers musically are going to hurt in July and August. The G bugles just don't sound good next to the Bb's. PR is loud, incredibly loud and that's the advantage of the G bugles....the little resistence allows them to pump it up to the top....and they do! PR's baritones and contras are aweful at this point though. Raspy, crack, splattered, and just out of control a lot of the time.

Haven't seen Gmen, I heard them coming into the stadium though. Sounded like much of the same from the past several years. They get through the "climax" of their show and the crowd wakes up with a head jerk as if they had just fallen asleep at the wheel. The reviews seem to tell the tale: clean, will be top 6 again, but boring (did anyone see their tshirt that reads "Boring our way into your hearts").

Keep the HONEST reviews coming.

DW

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the review. Drum corps fans are not usually secretive with their opinions (I said I liked Crown last year, and not less than 10 people around me at the Indianapolis show told me why they didn't like Crown. It didn't make me like Crown any less), so I'm not surprised by it in the least. It might be crass, but it's honest. If you love Madison, you'll still love Madison even if everybody in the stands hates them (yeah, like that's likely!!)...drum corps inspires fierce loyalty. So the review ends up being exactly what it is--what one viewer saw at the show.

It's quite a bit harder to find something to love about each and every corps--which is what I try to do. I want maximum enjoyment for my ticket price, and I certainly don't get on planes and drive all over the place to shows to get ticked off because Corps X didn't move fast enough or sounded like mating rhinos their first week out. :lol: I had a brass instructor tell me once, "every corps sucks...they just suck at different levels." In other words, imperfection is par for the course; it's whether you can control that tendency better than other groups.

Drum corps is very human in that it is inherently flawed.

I'd rather read an honest review than a sycophantic one. If anything, reading a bunch of bad reviews makes me really happy when I see a corps and they are loud/good/better than I expected.

As for PR's bugles, if anyone can gain control of the tone and cease the raspiness and splattering, I have faith that they can. Their brass staff can definitely make some serious headway in that regard. Hopefully they can get some of that done before I see them at Show of Shows.

Just because the Scouts refuse to use props and try to keep the tradition call old "Drum and Bugle Corps" alive, they are downgraded, not only by some fans, but by DCI as well. I have been a fan for over 30 years and the Scouts are the closest thing to what DBC should be! Have they changed to aluminum bats in the MLB? NO! ..and they should stick to the basic and fundamental ideas of DBC like the Scouts and a few of the other Division 1 corps do!

Oh, for Christ's sake, I am sick of that argument.

DCI is not killing the Scouts. The fans are not killing the Scouts. The Scouts are killing the Scouts.

They are not clean. Period. And trust me, I used to love the Scouts, but the Scouts of the past few years have just been a big ball of dirt. Exciting dirt, but dirt nonetheless.

They get the scores they deserve. Hey, according to them ,they don't care about scores and placement anyway.

Just  because the Scouts refuse to use props and try to keep the tradition call old "Drum and Bugle Corps" alive, they are downgraded, not only by some  fans, but by DCI as well.  I have been a fan for over 30 years and the Scouts are the closest thing to what DBC should be!  Have they changed to aluminum bats in the MLB?  NO! ..and they should stick to the basic and fundamental ideas of DBC like the Scouts and a few of the other Division 1 corps do!

Part of the basic and fundamental ideas that drum corps used to be about was the emphasis on precise and exciting marching and manuevering. Some corps are returning to that school of thought, although not to the degree as we witnessed in the 70s and early 80s, but Madison has all but abandoned the idea. They do, thank God, still give us an exciting show, but they have to get much better at presenting it to us. That's not DCI's fault.

Look at the recaps from the last couple of years. In several visual subcaptions, they were way below the top 12 mark. If you watched them, you knew that those scores were probably deserved as many other corps topped their visual excellence. How can anyone blame DCI or any of the fans for that?

Don't get me wrong...I love the Scouts. I love what they represent. But they have been great for so long, I know that they know better than to let themselves go visually, especially in this era of visual dominance. They always seemed to know the perect formula for a great entertaining show that would compete with their rivals. Maybe their goals and ideals have changed and that is not as important as it once was?

Excellent, well written, funny, informative review....a few things made me crings, but that's why it was good..it was honest, and unbiased, and very credible....

And Please.....to those of you out there.....STOP nailing the Scouts to the cross....They do NOT walk on water, they are ALLOWED to not be so good....stop trying to throw daggers at everyone that says something that YOU may take as unkind.

I can handle it, so should you !

~G~

friend of Ipecac, even though he's a supporter of those D### C###ts !! :D

Your review sound's like a weak spin off from a "Mad TV" skit ....but at least you're callin' like you see and hear it.

From what I'm reading in it sounds like the Glassmen are keeping their infamous title of being the "most talented boring corps" of the year award..again. Shame, guess I'll judge for myself this friday at the Jennison show. Hope your wrong........

Aldo

Refreshing! Like a frosty mug of beer on a hot summer day B)

Keep 'em coming. I'm sure all the kids out there marching their tails off can handle not being coddled in every review. We are all in agreement that they work hard and are contributing to the activity as a whole. We all appreciate their hard work and commend them for pushing themselves to the very limits of their physical, emotional, and spiritual being.

But, since they can handle being under the scrutinizing eyes of judges, they can handle being under the scrutinizing eyes of the public that funds a large percentage of their activity. Let's face it, without us b****ing and moaning there would be no activity to b**** and moan about! :)

I'm sorry to take negative comments about the Scouts personally--but my kid marches baritone w/ Madison and loves it and has right through the drought of 2000 and 2001.  He ages out this season.

Just make sure he has fun!

The era that I marched in is apparently considered "the day" for drum corps, including the corps of which I am an alumni. The funny thing, people write that the years I marched were incredibly entertaining........

I can vividly recall at that time getting slammed in Drum Corps World for "...not being particularly entertaining" and for being too technical. The same arguments that are applied to *my* corps today. I've participated in shows where the home town crowd would boo as we entered the field, and we left to the sound of crickets (27 home show comes to mind). I can recall drum corps fans coming up to me and telling me that we "sucked" and that so-and-so was going to crush us.........After a while, I learned it had to do with the corps I was in. Some people simply don't like certain corps. Hopefully, todays members don't have to deal with the forwardness of some "fans" as my friends and I had to deal with.

Point being....members can take the negative. They know if they did a good show or not and they know a dead crowd when the hear it (or don't, in this case).

Rob

BDB 80

BDA 81-85