Ever wonder why...

rgortowski

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was playing Iowa in '81, 5 of the 6 basses played the SAME part!! 1,4 and 5 played the beat starting on count #1, 2 and 3 played the same beat, only starting on count #2, and 6 just played quarter notes. It's really not as complicated as seems, unless it's been updated recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow JBlade - I've never seen it broken down like that. And no, there is no written version in existence. It is taught every year by rote and passed down from line to line. Being the only bassque vet in '03, I had to make sure I remebered it right! And actually, there are licks that bassque 1 plays that have "historical" influences. All you have to remember is that as soon as the audience starts clapping, just follow them - its just as good as a met.

Thanks to Paul Milano

Sip

Bassque '02-'04

Wow JBlade - I've never seen it broken down like that. And no, there is no written version in existence. It is taught every year by rote and passed down from line to line. Being the only bassque vet in '03, I had to make sure I remebered it right! And actually, there are licks that bassque 1 plays that have "historical" influences. All you have to remember is that as soon as the audience starts clapping, just follow them - its just as good as a met.

Thanks to Paul Milano

Sip

Bassque '02-'04

Just wondering if you meant that in a bad way, or in a good way... hard to tell sarcasm in writing without faces like... :huh: or.... :bleah: or even :wub:

~Jon :huh:

Well, actually it is the same beat played by all the basses.

Bass 5 comes in on beat 1, bass 4 on beat 10, bass 3 on beat 15, bass 2 on beat 20, and bass 1 on beat 25 (I believe)

It makes it funky, due to the rhythm is offset by a couple of notes, so there are about 3-4 accents that stick out. And then the top bass goes in and out of a solo.

its triplet based, and here is the rhthm:

R l r L r l r l R l r L ... and this rhthym repeats.... so it sort of lines up like this:

5: R l r L r l r l R l r L R l r L r l r l R l r L

4: - - - R l r L r l r l R l r L R l r L r l r l R l r L

3: - - - - - - R l r L r l r l R l r L R l r L r l r l R l r L

2: - - - - - - - - - R l r L r l r l R l r L R l r L r l r l R l r L

1: - - - - - - - - - - - - R l r L r l r l R l r L R l r L r l r l R l r L

Its pretty cool when you hear everything together. Simple... yes... sweet... yes...

You've either nailed it on the head or are very close, as one of the bass drummers later in this thread says that some of the parts were doubled. I remember marching to that cadence for my three years in the corps in the mid-1970s. It truly is its simplicity that makes it work. And the magic of it kicks in when the accents line up in different parts. All in all, it's a classic due to the simplicity and the accents.

Mike

Actually, after closer inspection and actually looking at it the break down is a bit off. The entrances are different then above, and at different counts. Also, you left out the vital 6th line - the aforementioned audience accompaniment.

Sip

During "off season" performances or parades I had to play bass drum several times and never got the same part twice. I have to admit that at that time we were probably doing "Iowa" with three bass drums so it wasn't too bad to jump in. Sort of like Row, Row , Row Your Boat but with bass drums.