Hornline swag...

Pittman

Especially when that free stuff comes when you're in desperate need of a laundry day. It's bad enough the drumline hauled in enough stuff to cloth a small island nation. but to watch them in their clean, new shirts while i'm sitting in my bari-sweat soaked goodness.... now that's just being mean!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spcbrass:

Your avatar is great! Haha! My friends and I take that game pretty seriously, lol....but I totally thought it was just a west coast game! Apparently not, because you're an east-coaster and you got me!

HOw many people have jacked up their fingers trying to break it now! LOL

The game I think is universal. I think I even gave up on hitting people for it, so now it's just a game of respect or something!!

Kurt from then Bluecoats contra line from 2000 can tell you how much he hates this game, I got him every day when I was teaching him. Everything down to painting it on the field for his forms LOL! I even remember tapping on the window of his bus one time as they were pulling out of a housing site just to get him.

The Avatar just takes it one step further. I used to send the full size picture to people in an e-mail as a joke!

yeah but still...Brass should get something...

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Do you realize that all that merchandise costs money to produce? and that the cost of that giving away all that "swag" is passed along to you anyway?

I'd rather support a company that invests their money into producing a quality instrument instead of giving away t-shirts.

And don't forget the free horns! Do you realize that for every horn given away that company must somehow make it up on the back end? that means that there are hundreds of high schools and Div II/III corps out there being over-charged for their instruments so that a few sponsored corps can have free horns! Robin Hood would be appalled.

Drum sticks are made of wood, and are mostly machine-made. Not much in the way of overhead, and the markup is good. It's fairly easy to give away stuff because there's enough profit built in. And sticks are only good for a few weeks and then you have to buy new ones, so it's also a steady source of income for the company. But what about horns? Those are not exactly turned out by machines. A good horn is mostly hand-made and there are labor costs, material costs and more! And a quality horn lasts for years, not much turnover there, nor a lot of room for profit. (remember that the dealers will sell them to you for close to cost, so that another dealer doesn't get the sale...)

Don't think that a company who gives away free stuff really cares about you, and that they want you to have this cool shirt to wear on tour. What they want is to sell you onto their brand, get you to advertise it for them, and then they make you pay for it anyway.

No one gets "free" horns. Horns are purchased at reduced prices because of bulk, but the free horn thing is a myth.

odd, because king gave US free horns, and even t-shirts for the hornline (the really really really heavy kind) that we wore during clinics

I look at it this way. The drummers need those consolations because they weren't able to play in the horn line.....

well....except for Kim.

By the way Kim. Are you the only person to have marched in a top 3 drum line and a top 3 horn line??

Edited by bd5times

odd, because king gave US free horns, and even t-shirts for the hornline (the really really really heavy kind) that we wore during clinics

Interesting.....when we went over to Bb with Yamaha in 2001 the horns were not free....actually purchased at a discount, but Yea still had to pay for them. Then we sold the used horns at the end of the season to various band programs and individuals to supplement the cost of new horns each year.

I believe most horn deals are done this way....I find it hard to believe King just gave y'all over $100,000.00 in free horns....i'm sure your corps paid something for them.

Otherwise, I'm getting on the phone right now and ordering me some kings!!!!!!!

I don't know how much you know about PR, but they aren't exactly a fiscal powerhouse so if we did pay, it was very little. I can see how King would give us the horns, and take care to continue refinning them all summer, in order to get their new line in the lime light.

The way we were told: the horns, the uniforms, and our shoes were all part of free sponsorship deals, because if you think about it the marketing they get (in the marching music community) from decking out one top level corps is quite extraordinary. However, the horns we were playing were little more than prototypes with silver finish on them; so it leads me to further believe that we were more or less guinie pigs, and that based on our feedback they were changing the line before it went into final production. When I went by the King booth at DCI for a moment and looked at the Euphs they already had several of the changes that we had called for during the season.

The shirts were just a bonus on the side, lol.

...but hey, I could be wrong - just what kinda what I got from the sittuation; don't claim to know it all. :)