Anybody Using Remo Suede Heads?

PJS53

I no longer play or teach corps but have recently tried the new Suede series head on my set toms. I've heard that Remo is trying to promote these as an alternative to the Renaissance heads for tenors. I'm curious to know what kind of reaction they are getting and how do they compare to other head combinations. BTW they sounded fine but not spectacular on toms (jazz set). Didn't like them for brush work on my snare.

• 1 year later...

What kind of texture do they have on the surface? Are they like coated, falamms, Pinstripes, Fiberskyns etc.???

Never heard of em but, I haven't been into equipment in a few years now.

The suede heads have just a slight texture (kinda like a coated, but no where near as much). I'd deffinately agree that they probably aren't the best for brush work.

As far as tone and pitch, they're pretty much a middle ground between clear and coated heads. They have a higher pitch than pinstripes and eliminate some of the ping sometimes associated with pinstripes (esp. marching tensions).

I've only played on suedes on a set of tenors, but I like them a lot better than pinstripes for that application. Less ping and a more forgiving head tension to get the same pitches.

As far as drumset, I've never had reason to venture beyond coated pinstripes of evans hydraulic heads (I like low, fat, warm tom sounds).

Ive heard that suede isnt the best for HS band applications, b/c in cold weather the bottom ply cracks easily. Leaving you with a dead layer of suede. For corps applications, i.e. in the heat all the time, theyre fine. As far as sound goes i have no clue

In a drum set setting Suedes have been getting rave reviews. They have the tone of a pinstripe but the feel and attack of a Renaissance. I've been thinking of using these on my vintage Ludwigs for added warmth and round tone. They will warm up any drum you use them on whether it be Emperor or Ambassador weight. They have a nice texture but too smooth for brush work I find. You might want to stick to plain old Coated Ambassadors for brush work. All in all a great head with a great sound and feel.

• 2 weeks later...

I used them for my college line last year. They worked out very well, nice tone, much warmer then the pin stripe. And they held up much better then the pin stripes do. Never had any cracking problems due to cold temperatures (and this is comming from a guy in North Dakota.)

I'ld reccomend them.

Jason