What is the HARDEST brass intrument to play?

BOSMarcher

What is the HARDEST brass instrument to play?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What is the HARDEST brass instrument to play?

• Trumpet
    • Flugel Horn
    • Mellophone
    • French Horn
    • Trombone (any type)
    • Baritone/Euphonium
    • Tuba

I believe the International Horn Society's official position is to call it 'horn'. When an uninitiated person asks what type of horn, it has been suggested for the horn player to state the brand of the horn, such as Paxman or Conn.

About dynamics:

I have been told that I am not loud enough when I play according to the dynamics marked on the music (yes--dynamics are relative to each group and the conductor's whim's...err...interpretations).

When I have a request for fortissimo or fff, I can easily outplay the rest of the ensemble.

I play an M series Conn Connstellation 8D with a Conn 2 mouthpiece, if you'd like to know how I play so loudly. :P

Edited by ravedodger

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Steve. I see you reading this. You probably play louder than me. :P

Maybe we can find out. :P

This sort of goes out to whoever said the horn pierces through the ensemble.......What exactly do you base that on????? I've been playing the horn for the past 11 years. And I like to think that I'm a fairly good horn player. and I have NEVER heard anyone say that the horn sound was piercing through the ensemble. Nope, its mostly just "horns, are you playing?" and "horns play louder"

i meant that it could. i didn't meant that it always does. especially new learners of the horn with absolutly no sound quality.. i suppose i could've phrased it better. my bad.

-chris

This sort of goes out to whoever said the horn pierces through the ensemble.......What exactly do you base that on????? I've been playing the horn for the past 11 years. And I like to think that I'm a fairly good horn player. and I have NEVER heard anyone say that the horn sound was piercing through the ensemble. Nope, its mostly just "horns, are you playing?" and "horns play louder"

i meant that it could. i didn't meant that it always does. especially new learners of the horn with absolutly no sound quality.. i suppose i could've phrased it better. my bad.

-chris

That is the bad part about playing a brass instrument that faces backward and directly into the players behind the horn section. The sound does get muffled. When I attended a trumpet masterclass at Vanderbilt a few years back under William Vacciano, he made mention that in one of Wagner's pieces that is keyed very, very low (bass clef stuff), the horn section was usually required to face backward and lift the horns so they were parallel to the floor in order to be heard. Of course, that is with a full symphony.

Edited by ravedodger

French horn for overall difficulty, trombone for tuning nearly every pitch.

With a little work, that shouldn't be too much of an issue for bone, since the bone has an authentic 'tune any note' feature. B)

In my experience, the horn is the worst for this because of the timbre (pronounced tamber) of the middle brass voices (mellophone, alto, and horn), but intonation can be a problem for players of any instrument who play with a brighter tone. The more 'edge' a player has, the harder it is to tune each note. With a darker tone, intonation becomes less of a hassle.

Edited by ravedodger

I would say Horn, but I'm pretty good at horn and I've conquered all the partials and everything. I don't mean to brag, so don't view it like that.

For me (personally) I would say trumpet, I sound like **** on it, have no upper range and its just an odd embouchure for me.

For most, I would have to say Horn.

I have to agree with you on the embrochure thing.

I STILL find myself sliding back to a horn embrochure when I play trumpet/soprano. It's crazy.

french horn definately. trombone i think just might be the easiest once u get the hang of it unless you somehow get a nutcase 16th note thingy in your music. happens evry now and then. tuning is really not a problem at all. you just have to "know" where to put your slide. sometimes im having a sharp day so all my slide positions get moved out. sometimes the person next to me is a bit flat so i pull in for all positions. also its a matter of hearing what pitch to you want to play. playing bass sometimes isnt so much fun especially since alot of times you are expected to play louder than everybody else in your section. not an easy thing to do in the tbone section i play in at school