THE FRESNO FERNS

(From DRUM CORPS NEWS: dated August 6th, 1969)

"The FRESNO FERNS are proud to announce that they have retained a Los Angeles design firm to produce for the corps all monograms and designs. At this writing, the corps' flag has been competed. It will be an all-white flag, with the center having a green fern-type symbol with the initials of the corps in the center of the fern. Both the flower and the initials are quite modern in appearance, symbolizing the new and modern approach to junior drum and bugle corps by the Ferns.

"It was felt by the backers of the corps that a unified appearance should be made, one that would be as professional as the musical part of the show. The flags, uniforms and all appearance items will be designed by the above mentioned firm to provide the fans with a show whice is not only appealing musically, but visually as well.

"The corps itself is progrssing quite satisfactorily. The bugle section has grown to 24 members. Bugle instructor Jack Zitto is very pleased with the way the line is progressing. All members of the bugle line are new to the instrument, but not to music. All are music students from the local junior high and high schools. The college music departments have been approached, and hopefully next fall we'll see some members from the colleges in the ranks of The Ferns.

Being am all-male corps, the recruiting of a color guard seemed to be the biggest problem the corps would face, but it seems the problem was only a small one. Tem members are in the ranks now, and the number is increasing with each rehearsal.

1970 appears to be a good year for the Ferns. The corps is already displaying a strong competitive drive. They all understand the odds against being on top the first year, but have unanimousley decided to beat the odds!

Only trial by fire will really show if it can be done."

Submitted by

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

It's truly sad how many corps from SoCal have marched off into either complete drum corps obscurity or hardly worth a footnote in the history books: Fontana Lancers, The Senoritas (a corps I'd really like to see reborn), Flashing Lassies, Diplomats and Ambassadors, The Queensmen, Brentwood Imperials (I used to practice with them when they were The Culver City Imperials: wore their uni in my first solo bari comp as I recall), The Pacoima Stompers and Gorman Graveliners (I still have one pic of these guys somewhere)...Los Angeles Chinese, Commodore Peary Japanese American Boy Scouts......that scrappy bunch of inner city kids from Compton, the South LA Warriors.....The Valley Knights, Antlers...The Sand Diego corps: Albacores and Golden Statesmen..the obituary page goes on and on.

SoCal drum corps was a great training ground for drum corps and even as talent drifted, rightly so, over to the two best franchises going, KINGSMEN and VELVET KNIGHTS, some managed to hold on and resurface decades later in the Div. II and III category and a lot of the old seniors found their way to SoCal DREAM.

But SoCal still acknowledges how deep the roots of THE FRESNO FERNS go into that good old California soil. We still rehearse at the barn, when we can get everybody together and the summer Friends And Family Memorial Day Weekend M&M Camp in the Sierras still draws a healthy crowd....so THE FERNS are strong and the new music is as entertaining as it ever was.....some say better!

Thanks for reminding me about THE QUEENSMEN and Santa Barabara.....when I was living there in SB/Montecito I used to drive by the SBCC stadium next to Leadbetter Beach and remember when the brass ruled and the sound over the ocean was...........words fail.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

It's what they smoke that makes them so great, though!

Now now boys, we're all reformed....and re-formed......turned over a new leaf, as it were. Quite respectable, if you must know. Have to set a good example to the youth and all. We're still about a lot of fun but we walk --or march, as it were--the straight and narrow now days....got on the good foot....and we all know that, as the great Oliver Lake recorded:"...one foot.. guides the oth-er, ..when you're go-ing......going with the flow....." (OLIVER LAKE: "Jump Up" - still in print?)

Happens when you grow up and get older, I guess....lung power is so much better now, too....most important in brass playing....and the underwater rock "run-and-carry."

We're looking forward to this competitive season and hanging with our old and new friends, especially in the Post-Championship Western Tour this year...it's gonna be great!!

And props to SOCAL DREAM for what sounds like it's gonna be happenin' for you this year.......I'll come down and visit after winter surf season

(Maverick's is 35 ft. right now and Port San Luis bouy was cracking 25 plus....kinda mushy and Victory-At-Sea looking today, lotsa lookers but no takers......probably due to bacterial runoff after the last bout of angry and wet weather....churned up some new sandbars along with those toilet trout, though, I betcha!)

And remember, it's OK to Just Say No! Let your music do the smokin' for ya!

And long live drum corps!

Oh, and no amps or saxamaphones........oh, I like 'em, just not in drum corps!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3