The DCI Yearlys: 1990

Well I don't totally disagree. But at least we had "Remebrance" in that show.

I just wish that Scott would have kept the original idea for the opener - "Numero Uno".

Sure it would've been a re-hash from 81, but it is a much more powerful piece than "Lemon Squeeze".

(not a bad jazz piece in general, but too laid back for an opener IMO)

Numero Uno would have been sweet!!! I didn't really care for Lemon Squeeze, but still had the istantly identifieble "Madison Sound"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From top to bottom what a great year 1990 was. This was the first year I saw drum corps and what a great one to be weened on. Cadets show that year was one of my all time favorites of theirs. Even though it's not hyped much, SCV's Carmen is also one of my all-time favorites. And then of course, Star's hornline. I was blown away by all of the obvious stuff...the speed, articulations, and sheer volume but the way they played pianissimo took was the icing on the cake. They made all the "stupid" stuff my band director would ramble on about come to life. Suddenly, he wasn't as big of an idiot in my eyes as I had thought before.

CadetsSnare, I was at that show in "Burningham." It was bad enough being in the stands. I was in awe of everyone on the field performing in that weather. I thought it was an exaggeration when someone told me that Star practiced 12 hours the day before (I learned the truth the next summer).

This was the first time I saw the Cadets. My jaw hit the floor.

This is interesting. This is the first thread I've ever seen where there's been an open dialog about the Cadets show that year. Both positive and negative have been represented here. It's interesting to me because, as a member of the Cadets that year, I have always questioned the greatness/appeal/design of the show. I loved it myself. I loved the variety and the technical demand, but it wasn't an in your face show by any means. We only had two spots in the show where we could fully open up our sound (at the end of Mass and the end of the show), but in both cases we were spread end zone to end zone and wasn't fully captured on the recording. There were so many minute details to the show and required a ton of finesse and mature yet overly controlled playing.

When I got home, I had a band camp to teach with a group of my friends that had marched or taught at my first corps (Northern Aurora). Only 2 days after Finals and it only got brought up once. There were some nods of respect and a good job .. but that was it. I talked to one of my old instructors from NA (Butch Marshall) a few years afterward and he put it this way, "You were the best corps with the best show that year, be proud of what you accomplished". Now anyone that knows Butch knows that he fell in love with Garfield in '83 and would never shut up about the shows from '83-'85. So, this still struck me as odd.

The show had some ensemble issues. We definately weren't the cleanest corps on earth, but the demand was there and the execution was on that mark ... but there wasn't much of a WOW factor .... was there? It's hard to say when you never see yourself live.

I loved SCV's Carmen show but didn't really agree with some of the transitions that (I suspect) hurt them in the long run. BD's Tommy was fun and one of the few shows I had a chance to see that summer. Cavies show was very clean but had a couple of major ticks that stuck out. Very powerful and the next logical progression toward the Machine that they are today. I loved Dutchboy's show but was a bit ticked that Rich Armstrong (former Garfield DM and director of Dutchboy) had stolen most of the visual technique of the Cadets (elbow pops and all). Star was definately the cream that summer ... I only got to see them from the side once and my only thought was "they still haven't learned how to march :(". Phantom, I saw in rehearsal at Giants stadium and was quite impressed, but they didn't seem to have much visual demand (and that was before they hosed the horn book :(). Crossmen had an "upper tier" show and were nipping at our heals early season... definately loved that show and even bought the NYV cd. VK was a blast that year and got cheated as far as I'm concerned, especially the drumline. They were beating most of the top 6 lines all season and ended up getting slotted at finals. It was nice to see Spirit back, but they weren't the SPIRIT that we all knew and loved from the 80's.

I guess when I look back 1990 could be interpreted as an off year. By no means was it that far off. I think it was one of the last transitional years toward the end of the "golden age" when all of the corps were catching up to the visual demand levels set in motion in the mid 80's. The staffs were finally figuring out how to make all the movement work and still sound good. I don't think we saw the mastery really form widespread until 92. There weren't any masterpieces like 87 Cadets and SCV ... but there were alot more layers to everyones shows. So many little nuances and details in every show that made it so hard to clean. I guess, to me, it was an experimental year for most corps and was a logical step in pushing the learning curve to the next level.

I loved that year without a doubt ...... but it was the beginning of the modern era of drum corps. It just doesn't hold the same depth of love in heart as 87-89 did. If I'm way off ...... somebody smack me :laugh:

Hey Supersop,

(for everyone reading...he was in the 90 Cadets hornline, and I was in the 90 Cadets snare line).....

The funny thing is, we were getting HAMMERED most of the season in most captions because of the ensemble demand. Not only was the ensemble demand ahead of its time...I believe it would be a challenge for many corps today. You can't see all of the spread on the video. That is deceptive...there were times where we had NO business of ever making it all line up...but we did at the end! There were times when the melody was on the 30, the percussion were on the other side of the field, and the low brass were in another "nightmare" area of the field. We really didn't start nailing the ensemble aspects of our show until early August.

Of the shows I loved that year...

90 SCV...GREAT drumline (who were spanking us a lot that year) :laugh:

90 Cavies...gotta give props to a well-designed show (but that hornline...eesh...) :laugh:

90 Blue devils....if we had lost drums to them, I would have had NO problems with that!! :laugh::blink:

90 Boston....another ridiculously kick-a** drumline that were absolutely robbed! :doh:

1990 was, IMO, the end of the old, and the start of the new...lots of great corps, great new visual design, and new arranging.

Feel free to ignore all the above...just an old man's ramblings! :laugh:

90 was a good year, but I think 89 was a GREAT year.

In 90, with all due respect to the Cadets, there just wasn't what felt to me like a Championship show.

In 89 I think there were 4, even 5 (if Cadets had cleaned up that awesome Les Mis show) that could have been GREAT championshiop shows.

In 90 the whole top 5, Cadets, Cavies, Star, Regiment, and BD (and maybe even SCV) all had different and very good shows, but none that just jumped out at me and said THIS is a Championship show.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked alot of shows that year and as far as entertainment, its hard to find a year with more shows that are fun to watch.

Anyone know what I mean?

In 90 the whole top 5, Cadets, Cavies, Star, Regiment, and BD (and maybe even SCV) all had different and very good shows, but none that just jumped out at me and said THIS is a Championship show.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked alot of shows that year and as far as entertainment, its hard to find a year with more shows that are fun to watch.

Anyone know what I mean?

I would have to agree with you. There were lots of good, not much great. I think The Cadets were the best corps that year. They were cleaner than everyone else, and should have won.

I remember the first impact of The Cavaliers show in quarterfinals.

I remember how boring I thought The Blue Devils were.

I remember how much I liked The Bluecoats by the end of the season.

I remember the greatness of the beginning and the end of Star's show.

I remember sitting near the Southern Knights from England at Finals and nearly passing out because of all the cigarette smoke. (Smoking bans in stadiums are a wonderful thing!)

I would have to agree with you. There were lots of good, not much great. I think The Cadets were the best corps that year. They were cleaner than everyone else, and should have won.

I remember the first impact of The Cavaliers show in quarterfinals.

I remember how boring I thought The Blue Devils were.

I remember how much I liked The Bluecoats by the end of the season.

I remember the greatness of the beginning and the end of Star's show.

I remember sitting near the Southern Knights from England at Finals and nearly passing out because of all the cigarette smoke. (Smoking bans in stadiums are a wonderful thing!)

I'd agree with you guys also. Cadets were the best that year, but for me, it didn't have that "wow" factor. It was clean, but it wasn't that "in your face" good. Maybe I got numb to it since I saw the show nearly every single night as we were always rolling equiment up while they were on?? Cadets 89 was a "wow" show for me much more than 90 was.

Yet, I could watch PR do Bacchanale over and over again happily.

Star was great that year. I loved the Carmen show also, but liked it better early on in the year than later. VK was just fun.

Growing up in MA, I also made it a point to hear Conquest as often as I could. If I wasn't at West Chester for college, I probably would have ended up marching with Boston. I really enjoyed Boston's show that year.

Tommy is one of my least favorite Devils shows ever. I know some people love it, but I think I might actually like the Yowza show better than Tommy. :laugh:

Was that the year that Spirit's guard wore those southern belle dresses? I remember talking to one of the girls and how their staff freaked anytime it was wet or muddy because the dresses were so costly to clean.

Thanks for the props, just to give you an idea why the drum line was so good, see if you can recognize any of these names?

Brian Tinkle

Rudy Gowern

Nick Angelis

Colin McNutt

We had quite the talent pool.

Dave

BAC '87-'90

All 4 of them went to UMass and studied under Hannum...I marched with Nick in 88, and with Colin in the UMass band and Rudy between 89 and 92.

And thanks for the 89 props, y'all! Yeah, 90 was clean, but 89 was an amazing show to perform. We were beating up on SCV's drumline until the last week, which shocked us ALL! If our hornline wasn't so green in 89, it would have resulted in an even stronger corps.

Funny story...we went to DCI Mid-America in 89, and I remember seeing Larry (BD's section leader in 89) watching our warmup...I think it's GOTTA be the first time a BD guy has ever watched a Cadets lot warmup!! We went on, and won the show!!!!....except for the 7 tenths penalty we got from having a 14 and 1/2 minute show!!! We were first, then Cavies, then BD, then Star (or soemthing like that)...but because of the penalty, we ended up 4th!!!

...gotta love writing and performing an intentionally over-length show! :lol:

Edited by Cadetsnare

1990 Cadets didn't seem to have the wow factor probably because we had all most likely heard them play that music before. If you look at the show from a newcomer standpoint, it was really pretty amazing. And any way you wanna look at it, the ending to that show with the reverse Z-pull was one of the best of all-time.

All 4 of them went to UMass and studied under Hannum...I marched with Nick in 88, and with Colin in the UMass band and Rudy between 89 and 92.

And thanks for the 89 props, y'all! Yeah, 90 was clean, but 89 was an amazing show to perform. We were beating up on SCV's drumline until the last week, which shocked us ALL! If our hornline wasn't so green in 89, it would have resulted in an even stronger corps.

Funny story...we went to DCI Mid-America in 89, and I remember seeing Larry (BD's section leader in 89) watching our warmup...I think it's GOTTA be the first time a BD guy has ever watched a Cadets lot warmup!! We went on, and won the show!!!!....except for the 7 tenths penalty we got from having a 14 and 1/2 minute show!!! We were first, then Cavies, then BD, then Star (or soemthing like that)...but because of the penalty, we ended up 4th!!!

...gotta love writing and performing an intentionally over-length show! :lol:

Matt?