Small Town U.S.A.

O.K. here's another one. Martinsburg PA '72 or '73. I think that was the place where we stayed at the new school but you could see the old school on the hill and everyone kept saying it was haunted. It did look pretty old and spooky.

Also it seemed to me that the "town" was just a cross road with a fast food joint on one side and a fancy restaurant on the other. Some of us decided to eat at the fancy food restaurant and boy was I glad. It had great food and was the first time I ever tasted "Kona" Coffee, yum. It was the best meal we had that whole season. And they didn't even mind that we came in wearing shorts and T shirts and had no reservations! Great town.

BTW Ron, seems to me that you could have bought a new rig for the price of two flights and the freight on that rusty ol' motor. Not to mention the cost of labor! ^_^

Edited by MsBusDriver

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coulda-shoulda re: new rig, Maggie. Suckah blew up in Santa Clara the next year. Oh well.....I guess that's the price for all the adventures I had in, on and around that old bug.

Much better luck with the current surf truck: it's actually outlasted the payments.

Back on topic: I enjoyed LaCrosse as a small town, though I actually lived upriver about 15 miles in Trempealeau, pop 700 or so back in the early 80s....I moved from there to my old farm just outside Cataract, WI: NOT a nice small town. It was just down the road from Black River Falls, famous from the book and documentary "Wisconsin Death Trip."

Pismo Beach is another nice small town......when there's no tourist traffic, like this time of year.

RON HOUSLEY