Small Town U.S.A.

Rock Springs, Wy.  It was right off of the I80 and on the way east. The side walks rolled up at 7:30pm. There was this cool A&W drive-in.....do you remember it anyone in SCV?

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

How could I ever forget Rock Springs Mike. The Guard had to sleep in the stairwell of that old school we stayed in during the early 70s. I think it was 4 to 6 of us per landing. :rolleyes:

I remember that A&W was The place where all the " Teen Townies" with their jacked up Hot Rods hung out. When they saw us they would do their "peel out" thing just to try and be impressive.

Oh yeah, and what about Swapmscott MA? Pretty cool little town. Right on the Atlantic. Had to wash and shampoo in the rain because there was only one shower at the Church we were staying in. Fun times had by all...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, and what about Swapmscott MA?  Pretty cool little town. Right on the Atlantic. Had to wash and shampoo in the rain because there was only one shower at the Church we were staying in.  Fun times had by all...

I remember Swampscott, Ma!!!! I love that place. I still mention it to people I tell about tour. Do you remember play slippery slide down that hill in front of the church when we had rehersal called for rain? Or how about the Hoagie shop? Remember Mike Munuz got the two girls, the daughters of the owners, into the show that night? I love Swampscott. I'm a big Red Sox fan.and when I make my pilgrmage, I plan on stopping by there. Anyone from the neighborhood?

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004

In 1972 and 73 we stayed at this small town in Mount Vernon, OH. Played a concert in the town square and everyone was there. I remember the night before we had a show in Bellefontaine (Beverly Cardinals, Buckeyes, Mello Dears and Marion Cadets were there. Not sure who else). It had a little Soda Shop, what a great place that I am sure is much different now 30 years later.

• 3 weeks later...
How could I ever forget Rock Springs Mike.  The Guard had to sleep in the stairwell of that old school we stayed in during the early 70s.  I think it was 4 to 6 of us per landing. :whistle:

I remember that A&W was The place where all the " Teen Townies" with their jacked up Hot Rods hung out. When they saw us they would do their "peel out" thing just to try and be impressive.

Oh yeah, and what about Swapmscott MA?  Pretty cool little town. Right on the Atlantic. Had to wash and shampoo in the rain because there was only one shower at the Church we were staying in.  Fun times had by all...

Swampscott was cool! I remember talking to a guy on the beach and telling him how lucky the Boston Patriots were to have drafted Jim Plunkett.

I thought Rock Springs was a hole, but to each his own.

My favorite… La Crosse, home to the First Federal Blue Stars, God’s Country and all that rot. What I enjoyed was sleeping in the dorms… on a bed! The legal drinking age was 18. Kenny O. blowing chunks all over the bar. Getting high in the cemetery. Dancing down Main Street singing… La Crosse, La Crosse what a wonderful town with Mike L., Tim S. and Kurt P.

Marion, Ohio....home of the US Open

West Chester, PA

Had a show and some free time/laundry time there in '03 and loved the local eateries and ice cream shops and stuff.  Great weather as well.

At the show site, we were warming up and we permitted to take a walk down near this creek where there was a porto-potty.  The sun had gone down about 45 minutes before, so the sky was this beautiful indigo color lined with bright pink clouds.  I could hear the creek about 20 ft away from where I was, saw some thick trees and just beautiful landscape - stuff you don't really get in Southern Cali. unless you seek it out.  Fireflies were whizzing all around me.  A moment of zen for me.

Then we went out and beat Phantom for the first time.  Of course they were to get the (.05) last laugh.

You definitely fall in love with West Chester after a while, with all its quaint shops and amazing restaraunts downtown (just a few blocks from the university), and then a 60 drive outside of town (down South New Street, past South Campus) makes you feel like you're in the country somewhere... I loved West Chester when I started college, then sort of questioned if it was the right kind of place for me halfway through my 4 years, but now the longer I'm there, the more I want to stay forever. Kurt - I was there to see SCV beat Phantom that night, you guys definitely deserved it...

Muskegon, MI had to be my favorite small town stop... we stayed at Reeths-Puffer HS (great marching band program) with Bluecoats in 2000, and did a parade there. Extremely friendly people and similar to West Chester in its quaint downtown atmosphere with "the country" just outside of town... I believe that was the show where the sops lined the stadium field instead of our practice field by mistake, they were announced as the "All-Star Field Lining Crew" as we marched onto the field, lol.

Edited by Maestro767

You definitely fall in love with West Chester after a while, with all its quaint shops and amazing restaraunts downtown (just a few blocks from the university), and then a 60 drive outside of town (down South New Street, past South Campus) makes you feel like you're in the country somewhere... I loved West Chester when I started college, then sort of questioned if it was the right kind of place for me halfway through my 4 years, but now the longer I'm there, the more I want to stay forever.  Kurt - I was there to see SCV beat Phantom that night, you guys definitely deserved it...

Muskegon, MI had to be my favorite small town stop... we stayed at Reeths-Puffer HS (great marching band program) with Bluecoats in 2000, and did a parade there.  Extremely friendly people and similar to West Chester in its quaint downtown atmosphere with "the country" just outside of town... I believe that was the show where the sops lined the stadium field instead of our practice field by mistake, they were announced as the "All-Star Field Lining Crew" as we marched onto the field, lol.

I have to go with "The entire state of Wisconsin" as it seems to have the whole populace built into Drum Corps. I've never seen friendlier folks. And I had never really seen fireflies until the whitewater championships.

Also, Allentown Pennsylvania has a HUGE population of fans, and I'll never forget them.

Marion Ohio

Butler PA

Grand Haven Michigan

Re: Rock Springs, Wyo. My 65 VW Bug sucked a rod just west of there in Green River on the way to 71 Drums Along The Rockies. Stranded me, Stan Knaub and the ever unflappable Lloyd Kaneko, 71 Diplomats baritone stalwart, along the highway at the mercy of whatever Wyoming decided to throw at us.

Missed that show (DATR in Casper) but rented a big old Chevy land yacht to get to the Cheyenne show the next day. Afterwards, Lloyd and Knaub flew back to CA and I drove back to Rock Springs the next day.

Rock Springs in the early 70s was NOT a place to be a longhair from out of town. Cowboys and oil patch workers would come in on Friday night to beat up the hippies and if none were available would beat up each other. Saw a lot of Rock Springs for a few days as the VW was getting patched up for the limp back to California.

Heckuva show in Cheyenne, though. Saw Madison do "Alice," saw Casper do a cowboy and indian movie just before the sunburst.....all in all, it was worth getting a new motor and two flights between California and Rock Springs (had to go home to Lakewood to get funds to pay for a rusty old VW motor freighted in from Salt Lake City), not to mention a nail-biter of a trip back.

Ahhhh, Rock Springs.....a true garden spot of bliss in western Wyoming.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3