Small Town U.S.A.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One small town in southwestern Wisconsin always brings back some of my most fond drum corps memories... Monroe, Wisconsin... home of the semi anual Monroe Cheese Festival. The Festival only occurs every 2 years, probably because it takes 2 years for the local population to recover from the party. The Boys of 76 used to get invited to be in the parade back in the late 70s and early 80s. We were always sponsored by the Augsburger brewing company, brewers of one of my all time favorite beers, Augsburger Dark. After the parade, we were always invited to the brewery for a tour, and then we were treated to free beer in their hospitality bar on the brewery grounds. We always treated the brewery employees to a couple of hours of singing. They would hoot and holler and laugh as we sang Limericks, and all of the other songs in our back-of-the-bus repertoire. They couldn't get enough of it! Saturday night during Cheese-fest was cheese lovers heaven. Monroe has a corner tavern on just about every corner, and every tavern featured HUGE blocks of cheese that you could walk up to and hack off a slab. I've never seen so much cheese in one place in my life, and I've lived in Wisconsin all my life. The people all treated us like we were their best friends. I've got to get me to another cheese festival one of these years...

Edited by J.C.

I always loved the Butler, PA show...if i can recall...the show site was on top of a hill...(mountain?) and the town was nestled in a valley below...there was a store downtown that made the best Milkshakes we got every year.

West Chester, PA

Had a show and some free time/laundry time there in '03 and loved the local eateries and ice cream shops and stuff. Great weather as well.

At the show site, we were warming up and we permitted to take a walk down near this creek where there was a porto-potty. The sun had gone down about 45 minutes before, so the sky was this beautiful indigo color lined with bright pink clouds. I could hear the creek about 20 ft away from where I was, saw some thick trees and just beautiful landscape - stuff you don't really get in Southern Cali. unless you seek it out. Fireflies were whizzing all around me. A moment of zen for me.

Then we went out and beat Phantom for the first time. Of course they were to get the (.05) last laugh.

Edited by alto92

I always loved the Butler, PA show...if i can recall...the show site was on top of a hill...(mountain?) and the town was nestled in a valley below...there was a store downtown that made the best Milkshakes we got every year.

Wow! That brought back memories. I marched the Butler, PA show in 1970 and I remember the awesome view from the stadium! We were housed by the parents of the members of the General Butler Vagabonds while we were there. Sure beat sleeping on the bus or in a gym!

Wow! That brought back memories. I marched the Butler, PA show in 1970 and I remember the awesome view from the stadium! We were housed by the parents of the members of the General Butler Vagabonds while we were there. Sure beat sleeping on the bus or in a gym!

LOL...we had to stay at a church cramped in like sardines...and we had to use the showers at the YMCA downtown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhh....tour!

:silly:

LOL...we had to stay at a church cramped in like sardines...and we had to use the showers at the YMCA downtown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhh....tour!

:silly:

Somewhere around this house uncle z has a meal pass from Slippery Rock State College from his Butler, PA days!!!!!!

JC: Re: Monroe. My farm was in Cararact, Little Falls Township, Monroe County, (79-85)......Sparta was the County Seat.......where was Monroe?

Never mind.....I looked it up, I didn't get down that way..

I almost bought a farm near Rhinelander......what was that all girl corps that used to be from there? I want to say Plaidettes...

Answering own question: BELLES OF ST. MARY'S of Rhinelander, WI, of course.

Where were the Plaidettes from?

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

That Butler show was fantastic. I think I was there four years in a row. The stadium was set up high in the Allegheny's - a spectacular view. The town wasn't what you'd call quaint - I think it was a mining town - but the atmosphere was great.

We stayed outside town in farm country for a couple of days in 1977. We were practicing at a middle school one afternoon and someone comes over to speak with the corps director. It seems we were fairly close to a church and someone was being buried there. They asked if we wouldn't mind playing for an hour until after the service. The next night, a bunch of folks show up with a truckload of freshly picked corn on the cob and treat the entire corps to a huge BBQ. These guys were pros too - no wimpy propane Fiesta's.

A couple of other towns come to mind. Corning, NY used to host a show as part of a town celebration. Very friendly and very picturesque.

I also loved Marion and the US Open. My introduction to Busch.

In '79, we stayed in Carrollton, GA before Birmingham. That place was neat in that it was a pretty sleepy southern town - not something I'd ever seen before.

That was 25 years ago!

I'm old.

:(

• 5 months later...

Rock Springs, Wy. It was right off of the I80 and on the way east. The side walks rolled up at 7:30pm. There was this cool A&W drive-in.....do you remember it anyone in SCV?

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

Anaheim Kingsmen 1976 - 1978

SCV TOR 2004