Screaming or Playing?

leadsoplove

Haha... well, I chose to create this topic just based on a curiousity I have in it, and because I thought it would probably draw some interesting discussion. So! What would you rather have/be: a screamer only adding to certain chords/etc., or a solid, we'll say lead player that plays the whole show solidly? Personally I am very torn on this subject. Screaming is fun, and gets a lot of hype from a lot of people. But there is also a lot of personal accomplishment in getting say the lead part down and just playing the tar out of it. I think that part of me wanted to post this because I know that doing both can be near impossible. Well... post away I guess...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think you should strive to do both....i mean why not? Isnt that what your supposed to do? =P

<- proud to say he plays the heck out of his book and can still pop ot a few "choice" notes if needed to. ;)

If you can't "play" then you probably aren't really that good of a screamer either.

Guest mafields627

If you're the kind of person that can only hit an upper register note when the previous four bars work up to that note and it just happens to be a long tone at the end of the piece, you have no business doing it.

Your solid lead player (and by that, I mean playable high C, D, and E) must be able to actually play in that register. To own those notes, you need to be able to produce notes anywhere from a 3rd to a 4th above those notes. So, your upper lead sops should be able to easily play the High F, if called for. Double G, A, and B are a different story due to the harmonics of the Bb trumpet. On my Strad, the Double A and B do not exist - there is a break between Double G and Double C. Considering this, Double G should be attainable for your upper leads and possibly A-C, depending on the horn.

In the meantime, get a medium bore horn and Schilke 6A4a, and just use lots of pressure.

In the meantime, get a medium bore horn and Schilke 6A4a, and just use lots of pressure.

OH MY GOSH! I cannot believe someone would post something like that. That is the absolute OPPOSITE way to approach this type of playing. Those who have to use the above method to reach high notes or "scream" status should not be playing in that register to begin with.

The key to playing up there successfully is to minimize the pressure as much as possible and try NOT using a mouthpiece that automatically gives you the range cause you will be sacrificing other parts of your range and tone just to do one thing: SCREAM.

I advise you to find a mouthpiece that is comfortable and produces a good tone from 2nd line G up to high C above the staff and then take that MP and develop your range above high C on it.

Good luck!

Although I'm an ex-snare, I suspect that the concept of "developing one's chops"

applies to horn players too- and from what I recall from back in the paleozoic era when I talked to a couple of our lead sops in Kilts - it took them YEARS and CONSTANT practice to

a. develop their chops, and

b. as a result, be able to consistently hit the high notes.

There are no shortcuts (kinda like the idea of bodybuilders and ball players using steroids to achieve the fastest results) beyond practice and musical development.

While there may be a rare Maynard Ferguson protege that comes along and can belt out the screecher notes, the rest of us mortals have to go the old fashioned and unglamorous route - practice til ya puke!

and just use lots of pressure.

I Hope you mean Compression....

If you do not play all the line parts, sit out and wait for your turn your called a Prima Donna.....

If you can't play the whole book and screech you shouldn't be doing it at all!!!

Check this out leadsoplove

http://www.callet.com/1.0/rjjvqh000000vmu2.html