Part III -- Phantom Regiment Spring Training 2004

A Letter to Mom from Camp: Phantom Regiment Spring Training 2004

By Tom Moore

PART III of III

Thursday, June 3, 2004

Mountain Climbing Mirrors Drum Corps

Very early this morning, I had the "pleasure" of bringing another departing member to the bus depot. This time, though, it was a member who himself made the decision to leave. Given some family matters and other things he didn’t share with me, his heart wasn’t in it and he wasn’t able to give all that he needed to give to be a contributing member of the corps. “Some folks are just meant to be fans,” he said. I suppose he was right, but part of me felt a little upset that he was one of a small handful of people to get the opportunity to march and, having gone through 7 camps, decides to leave. On the other hand, honest self-assessment is a valuable skill and he knows himself better than anyone else. It was sad, but at the same time his spot was filled by the end of the day with a talented gentleman who was an alternate.

After breakfast I returned to the corps offices to work on publicity for Huntington up until lunchtime. I didn’t see or hear the corps.

For lunch, I visited the Rockford Rotary Club. I’m a member of the Reading, Pennsylvania club, and one of the neat things about being a Rotarian is that you can “make up” a meeting at any other Rotary club in the world. So I visited my fellow Rotarians in downtown Rockford. The cool thing was that the place was packed with over 100 people, and everyone I talked to knew about Phantom Regiment and was very interested in what I had to say about them this year! Some said they pulled over to the side of the road to listen to the corps rehearsing at night. Others were longtime attendees of Show of Shows and were looking forward to it again this year. It was just so nice to be around non-corps folks who know and appreciate their local corps! :)

At virtually every Rotary club, the weekly meeting includes an outside speaker talking about something relevant to life in the community or that the members would find interesting. Today’s talk was by a gentleman who worked at the local YMCA and had recently climbed the highest peak in South America, and he showed awesome slides. He talked about some of the lessons he learned on the journey. Among them was the importance of guides, because they helped him traverse some difficult terrain, kept him safe and led the way. Another was the importance of setting goals and pushing yourself to attain them. This climb was a full 14,000’ higher than his previous peak. With a guide and a goal, he did it. Inspiring stuff. And you know where this is going, Mom, right? Yes, a drum corps lesson! Perhaps I had chevron on the brain, but I immediately drew a parallel to the corps – with the support of a top-notch administrative, instructional and volunteer staff, the corps achieves great things year after year. And with goals and expectations set out early on, the corps achieves that which it thinks is unachievable. This year in particular, the demand is heavy, and the reward will be huge.

I arrived back to campus in time to make another run to the bus station. Unfortunately, one of the tenor players developed excruciating tendonitis in his knee and couldn’t continue. I was not looking forward to the ride with Joel because I thought he’d be incredibly sad. While he did say he was bummed out by having to leave, and got a tad emotional when we drove past the percussion section working in the middle of the parking lot, he talked instead about how much he’s learned since audition camp and how amazing the experience has been, including becoming a better musician and making great friends. Despite being disappointed, he was enriched for the experience, however truncated. He’ll age-out next year, and I hope it’s with Phantom Regiment. He wants to march here.

I spent the rest of the afternoon working on Huntington and running a few errands. After dinner the corps worked in ensemble on the opener and ballad. Yeah, it was still hot. But I immediately noticed how much more weapon and silk work the guard had learned and how hard it looked, and how well it fit the music which, did I say is hot? Anyway, during the practice I assumed another duty – tuba-carrying hulk. Since I missed the gym all week, this was quite the workout. Two technicians were on campus to repair the corps’ horns. So the contras had to swap out theirs. The technicians were in the gym and the corps was in the stadium. The conductor, Dave, was using the back of the golf cart as his podium, so yours truly carried two contras at a time to and from the gym. Only four times, but it was quite the workout! It was definitely a peril of being the only non-instructional staff member or corps member in the stadium! Hey, whatever has to be done!

After snack, Dave and Kara led the Phantom Regiment Olympics, a series of fun games designed to help the members learn each others’ names. This was member-initiated and run. I think there was even some ice cream afterwards, which I suppose is a treat when you’re in corps! I left early to get some shut-eye in my last night in McGaw Hall. I was starting to feel sad, for tomorrow at this time I’d be home and away from my friends in the corps.

Friday, June 4, 2004

Buns For The Road And A Lonely Tango To Midway

I woke up late today and had a late breakfast, one last time at the Machine Shed. The servers there knew my face and asked how the corps was doing.

I then went, for the last time, to the bread store, and saw the same senior citizen at the counter. I got 325 hot dog rolls and 20 loaves of bread. She had the darndest quizzical look and seemed to remember my face but had no clue why I bought all that bread. The sweatshirt that read, in large letters “Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps” didn’t lend much assistance, either. So I told her that I had spent the last year on the Atkins diet and was fed up and falling off the wagon in a big way. By the time she realized I was being a smartass I had paid the bill and started loading my car with carbohydrates.

After delivering the bread, I returned to the office to finish my work on Huntington. The corps was tracking which, I gotta admit, isn’t something I want to stand around and watch. The guard, however, was on the field and I stopped to watch a little sensuality in the sun. Once in the office, I felt sad because I started saying my goodbyes. First Mindy, who’s been more of a help to me than she’ll ever know (unless she reads this!). Then the guard staff and other volunteers. Then Pat Seidling.

Lunch featured hot dogs. I wonder where they got the buns? There, I said goodbyes to Lindsay, my sponsoree in the guard, and Nanette, my Buccaneer friend now in the Regiment guard. Sad stuff! And as the corps dispersed after lunch to return to practice, I suddenly felt alone. Ever have one of those moments when you’re in a sea of people and all of a sudden you feel alone? Weird! After loading my car, I walked to the field, alone, to look in on the hornline one last time as they worked with Jude Boughton on some movement exercises. Behind me I could hear the fluttering of he silks as the guard rehearsed and I heard the rat-tat-tat of percussion from across the campus. I turned and walked towards my car, but not without stopping by the food truck and giving some big hugs to Bob Mitzel, who’s volunteered for almost thirty years, Amy Huckins, who’s volunteered with her two daughters even though her son hasn’t been with the corps since 1990, and Donna Oakes, whose son is in the corps this year. They became my good friends in such a short time, and I was sad to leave them.

Appropriately, my last task for the week was to drive a snare drummer to the bus stop on my way to the airport. Happily, he had to go home for a day to attend his sister’s wedding. I wonder if his sister marched down the aisle to Elsa’s? Imagine that.

After a lonely trip to Midway airport, complete with rush hour traffic, and an uneventful flight home, I was back in Reading. Appropriately, though, it was still drum corps time, because four of my favorite Buccaneers, Dan, Karen, Vicki and Scott, are staying at my place over corps weekends. I was incredibly tired when I got home, but their interest in my week and my sheer delight at the experience kept me up talking with them for a couple more hours.

----

So, Mom, now that you’ve read all of this stuff, you may wonder what my overall impressions of my camping experience were. Well, it’s hard to boil it down into just a few points, but I’ll try.

--Drum corps is cool! Duh!

--If I could do this full-time, I would. As a volunteer. The folks at Powerball are not cooperating! It’s addictive, energizing, inspiring, entertaining and humbling all at once.

--Phantom Regiment’s a classy organization filled with classy members. They’re polite to me and others. They’re grounded. Confident but in no way arrogant. They’ve got confidence in their abilities and the show that’s been designed for them but don’t display an arrogance or swagger. And that starts at the top, from the leadership of the board of directors to the corps director to the instructional staff. Class. Style. Grace. Elegance.

--Did I say that the show is HOT! Mrs. Robinson, whoever and wherever you are, I want you!!

--The 2004 show will be superior to 2003, both musically and visually. Especially visually. And not by a little. By a ton. Folks will be amazed at the level of achievement of this corps.

--The color guard is hot and will play the tango character very well this summer.

--And most importantly, I’m going to Show of Shows on July 8, and it can’t come fast enough!

Other than that, my trip to camp was okay. Aren't you glad you got me out of the house for a little while?

Miss you and see you soon!

Love,

Tom

THE END

Edited by TomMoore

Hi Tom...It was my distinct pleasure meeting you at camp. It's great to finally be able to put a face along with the name of so many great reviews!

However, you made a typo...I've only been with the Regiment 20 years, not 30 as stated above. I have been a Phan tho since 1978 after I got out of the Navy...didn't get to see drum corps much on a submarine!!

I will look forward to seeing you at SOS!! You are a 1st class guy all the way! :blink:

By the way...when you see the drill for the second half of the show, no woman in the stands will be safe!! Sorry Mrs Robinson! b**bs

Robert

My apologies, Bob! Didn't mean to age you like that.

See you at SoS! Mrs. Robinson and I look forward to seeing you again! :P

Edited by TomMoore

I talked to a lead bari who said the drill is Cadet-esque in velocity.