C.Y.O. Rulez!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Uncle Z, you can't possibly mention the I.C. Reveries without mentioning the M.P.B. Crusaders !!!!!!

CYO ruled in greater Boston. Every single parish had either, and, or: a band, a drill team or a drum corps. My parish - Sacred Heart, Roslindale had 3 bands (beginner, Junior, Senior), 3 color guards (one for each band) and 2 drill teams (Junior and Senior).

Here's few from that area - not all made the national scene, but all helped kids.

St. _____ Cardinals from Beverly

I.C. Dukes from Marlborough

St. _____ Emerald Knights from Dorchester

H.F. Defenders from Rockland

St. _____ Majestic Knights from Charlestown

St. _____ Scarlet Lancers from Chelsea

H.T. Cadets from Boston

S.H. Crusaders from Malden

S.T.M. Cadets from Braintree

St. _____ Olympians from Springfield

St. _____ Missilemen from Winthrop

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LancerLegend, you should have started this thread, not me!!!! :huh:

Holy Cards for all!!!!! :blink:

This is a very cool thread!

Even in Kenosha WI where I was born and raised, there was a HUGE CYO influence, even if it didn't result in a drum corps.

Which is too bad, considering a town of 75,000 which should have been able to!

..like the Holy Rosary Queensmen!

Hehe. It's like inbreeding this drum corps stuff. We ALL know the same people.

:blink:

Does that really surprise you?? After all, think of the # of corps historically within that Milwaukee-Chicago area. Then figure in the fact that a lot of the members marched for umpteen years, and some marched in multiple corps and you're gonna run into the same people quite often, IMHO. F'rinstance, Terri, you had female mallet player in the Guardsmen (can't recall the name now) who helped with Cavie mallet line in 1982. She later on went on staff of the Northmen, and was a friend of my sister's when my niece was marching in 1994!!! Small world, as they say :P

Does anyone remember when the I.C. Reveries staged a sit down at I believe was the World Open finals back in the 60's.

They came in 13th place and something happened (maybe a penalty) caused them to miss finals.

They showed up at finals and wanted to perform. So they all sat down in the end zone. I don't think they were allowed to perform.

I remember they were on the front page of Drum Corps News.

Jim Dugan

Hey James - the show was actually the 1967 VFW Nationals and the Reveries came in 14th in prelims. Lots of controversy - some penalities involved, a few corps juggled for position, and the Reveries got sandbagged. It would be great for a reality TV show.

They ended up sneaking past the corps gate judge, thinking that IC was another corps. When they took the starting line, the chief judge would not let them perform, so they did the "sit in." They were allowed to perform, but their score was not announced.

The corps disbanded at the end of the season, and in October of 1967, a dedicated group of young men and women assembled at George and Patsy Bonfiglio's home in Revere and begged them to start a new corps, and the 27th Lancers were born.

And I am grateful. :blink:

Edited by LancerLegend