menomonie, wi review

It's almost 2am and I have drumline practice to teach in the morning, but here I go anyways. Again, take it for a grain of salt. From a percussionists eyes and ears to you.

First of all, I had the pleasure of bringing my entire high school drumline to this show. The clinic was fantastic and I thank DARC and Phantom Regiment for the opportunity to educate my kids.

Chops: My old tenor tech from Canos is the DM in this corps again this year and always cracks me up. The drumline is the glue in this corps right now as the brass is not very strong yet. Some nice features, though a bit sloppy, in the drumline. They kept playing that tune (forgot name, sorry) in the beginning of each song and I was humming it all the way home. Neat show concept, and as always gets a laugh out of me.

Capital Sound: Are they small? Yes. Has all they have gone through in the past months broke their heart? Not by how they sounded tonight. I was presently surprised at some of the quality this show had. I counted 4 in guard, I don't normally count guard but my friend who I marched in Canos is a guard tech there. Had only 3 bass drums and I swear all I could hear was the bottom bass. They had 2 snares which played quite well together. They had tenors but I don't remember much about them. Overall, it was one of those shows where I didn't have much impact me for me to remember. I am looking forward to seeing what the next month will do for this corps and for a better read from me.

Americanos: First thing that caught my eye was brass played much better tonight. Next thing was drumline seemed not to lock in as well as the Menasha show. Basses just didn't seem in that groove tonight. Pit on the other hand played out a bit more and was enjoyable to hear. They have steel drums in the pit, which hasn't carried far into the stands yet; not like they can bang them harder (hard playing makes them go out of tune for those who just don't know). Looked like guard added 3 people tonight for a total of 5, but the 3 that were new for sure looked new, lots of work to do here. Even with a slight out of the groove performace, their drumline will be one of the best in the division hands down. I'm liking their show much more.

Colt Cadets: I first want to thank this corps for lighting a fire under my drumline after seeing these talented kids play things my 16 to 18 yr olds try to play. First corps to use Amps (still not comfortable with the subject). Mics were only for singers which did an ok job. They switched instruments every song so there was one point where we all had to wait for them to get their drums on. Other than that, snoopy was cool and enjoyable. Love watching this corps, I can't help but be proud of them because of their age.

Blue Stars: Even as a drum guy I noticed right away the power the brass added into the show from Friday's at Menasha. I never thought I would hear some of that type of volume from the Blue Stars, but yeah, its getting there baby! Drumline took it a notch up and really are starting to play well. The show was in general just more enjoyable with the added brass sound. This is the corps not to miss at all this year. See them! Travel to see them and be a part of the beginning of a new era with this corps. Well worth it!

(intermission)

Just need to add the concession stands here are great and offer a large variety of food. Wait is not that long, and you get what you pay for. In my opinion one of the best run shows in the midwest.

Minnesota Brass: A huge drumline, but only 4 basses. After I heard this corps, I was itching to ask if they wanted to add another bass and throw on a drum for them. This corps is great. Brass is just so powerful. Drumline has the stuff and it shows. It must be an honor to be a part of that corps, its really that good. Maybe next year I'll do the tryouts and see what happens. This corps made me want to march again. Thank you! I'll leave it at that.

Blue Knights: I was happy to see this corps here. Their drumline is strong, but has cleaning to do for sure. Pit has a lot of potential and time is going to help them out a bit. Speaking of pit, Amped! Truthfully, I could not tell they were. To me good technique and the right equipment produces the sound they gave out tonight. Not really sold on them needing the Amps. Brass was pretty loud, but not rip your face off. The season is early and will help them quite a bit. Also, keep an eye out for their huge amount of surdos they use throughout the show, espically in the drum feature. The feature has a type of ethnic feel and sound which was music to my ears. Can't wait to see how much improvement this will all be in the end. A great musical moment.

Phantom Regiment: After the clinic and seeing them in the stands tonight, all I have to say is that this drumline has technique and a sound that is beyond massive. What a sound!!! Rim shots are so crisp that it will make your ears bleed. Their bass drum section plays some crazy single note split 32nds that will leave you giggling in amazement. Hornline was a bit more powerful tonight. I love it when the brass goes to the right 20 yardline in a tight block and play, it seems to come out of nowhere. Nice effect! Finally, I can't say enough how I love it when all the players in the pit pick up some hand castinets. Such a great texture and then to finish off this massive drum solo with 4 concert bass drums playing that will loosen any nuts and bolts in the stands. Quick note, take notice of how the last note of the show ends with just 2 concert bass drums and NO CYMBALS. Texture baby, just beautiful.

Madison Scouts: Tonight confirmed my belief that this corps is finally headed in the right direction. Their drum book has so much more musicality than in past years. The beginning of their show starts with such a neat texture that crecendos into the piece, i still have yet to figure out exactly what it all is. Overall, this corps is in the thick of things and is right next to Phantom. Can this corps be a top 6 corps this year? I think so, but time will tell, and I have yet to see what all the other corps are doing. So Scouts have a perfect jump off the starting line with the right tools in hand; now time will only tell. Finally, the last note of the show, how can you not stand up for them after that???

Again, sorry for any mistakes or spelling errors, it's so late and i'm tired.

My next show will be July 2nd in Madison. Until then...

Percussivly yours,

Dave

another great review Dave! Thanks for the information! I'm really excited to see the Blue Stars...I'm going to have to figure something out as far as travel arrangements. By the way, what do you think about the color of Madison's drums? Does the green work or get lost in all the green of the uniform jacket?

regards,

CM

Blue Stars: Even as a drum guy I noticed right away the power the brass added into the show from Friday's at Menasha. I never thought I would hear some of that type of volume from the Blue Stars, but yeah, its getting there baby! Drumline took it a notch up and really are starting to play well. The show was in general just more enjoyable with the added brass sound. This is the corps not to miss at all this year. See them! Travel to see them and be a part of the beginning of a new era with this corps. Well worth it!

Thanks for the positive comments! The corps is as excited about this year as the fans, and probably even moreso. This is a dream come true for those of us who marched in the Div 3 years. We would never take those experiences back, but we've always wanted to see the corps grow.

That being say, I was with the corps for the first three shows. Click Here to check out some photos I took of the corps at Menomonie.

another great review Dave! Thanks for the information! I'm really excited to see the Blue Stars...I'm going to have to figure something out as far as travel arrangements. By the way, what do you think about the color of Madison's drums? Does the green work or get lost in all the green of the uniform jacket?

regards,

CM

Thank you! I did like the color of Madison's drums. From my vantage point they looked something like a dark forest green color. I really dig it! You can't help but get too use to the Black, White, or Silver color drums. Always seeing a new color is very refreshing.

Dave

Thanks so much for your review!

Your description of Phantom made me drool in anticipation.

My son is in the tenor line and ages out this year.

We will not be able to see them until Michigan City, and its killing me to wait that long.

So the review is especially appreciated, and thanks for being so positive.