Wichita Falls TX Review -- June 25, 2004

After a three-hour drive and some massive rainstorms on the way up, the weather in Wichita Falls was excellent for drum corps. The night sky was a little overcast and carried some pretty hefty winds by start time. This is my first review to give to the DCP audience, so please be kind as I give a general impression of what I saw during the progression of the evening. I was a trumpet player and did a small stint of guard when I was in HS – so my review will reflect those areas more. My apologies but frankly, I wouldn’t know how to critique percussion that would be of any benefit to the percussionists out there, so hopefully someone can give a percussion review to add their two cents in on that segment hopefully. My comments on drums will no doubt seem very general.

Division III

Americanos – Menasha, WI

Dimensions of Latin Rhythms

(20 Brass / 13 Front Perc. / 12 Battery / 5 Guard / 1 DM)

Brass: For it’s size. I was pretty impressed with the sound received from the brass unit. Much improvement needed though, a good amount of muddy spots here and there. Intonation and synchronicity were also problem areas. They’ve incorporated some body/horn visuals in the ballad

Percussion: They have a nice sounding percussion unit this year. Using Latin congo drums in the third movement.

Guard: You could tell some of them were having problems with the wind. Lots of drops and miscues. A general note to everyone – it was revealed after the performance that guard and brass slots are still unfilled for the Americanos as I am writing this

Visual: I counted about 5 holes in the lineup. Phasing and form flow was shaky.

Overall: The Latin show was fun and was well received by the audience. The wind was making lots of things fly off (i.e. hats). I remember marching in Memorial Stadium back in 1989 when competing in state regionals; there is definitely a wind tunnel effect out on the field if the gusts are just right. They have a great sound for the amount of people marching – but attention is needed in the horns. It was revealed after the performance that they are still in need of brass and guard spots, so spread the word.

DCI SCORE: 48.10 MY SCORE: 43.50

Division II

Memphis Sound – Collierville, TN

Elements of Blue

(40 Brass / 5 Front Perc. / 21 Battery / 17 Guard / 1 DM)

The opener started off with a good solo feature. Guard shows off some precision with rifle technique, a few drops but otherwise tight. They’re displaying some rather “high-brow” visual sets, which created some “wow” moments for the audience. The second movement got off to a rough start musically, but was recovered quick after about 4-5 measures. A nice visual/musical effect is a ”point n’ play” where starting out with euphonium playing a section, “pointing” to the midhorns while doing some body/horn movement; the midhorns following suit and giving it over to the sops. The percussion feature was short, but effective. The ballad featured more body movement from the horn line and some good sound contribution from the euph/contra/tuba line – this low brass thing is catching on, I like it. The solo parts are still shaky, with the kids still adapting their parts in front of an audience. The fourth movement features the guard again with rifle execution. Again, some drops that really stood out.

Brass: Very entertaining blues brass book. Some cleanup with the sopranos/solo parts. Low brass parts really grew on me as the show progressed.

Guard: Lots of bright silks – pinks, blues, purples. I think the rifle line that they present at the beginning and end can help out the CG scores during their season – just more confidence in the catches are needed.

Visual: Several segments that show body and horn movement. Drill design is quite demanding, I saw a few members in particular really having to make a sprint to get to their sets, which could have hurt visual scores tonight.

Overall: A real crowd pleaser. Memphis is also marching a few holes, from what I saw tonight, not sure if there were some members out ill tonight.

DCI SCORE: 57.80 MY SCORE: 60.00

Division I

Troopers – Casper, WY

The Troopers Are Coming!

(38 Brass / 10 Front Perc. / 21 Battery / 10 Guard / 2 DM)

“Carriage of the Spirits” as their opener was a nice introduction with beautiful horn sounds. A soprano duet standing side by side in the middle of the corps gave the cavalry call – a bit sloppy though with the triple tonguing. Musical balance from one side of the field to the other has some muddy areas. The second movement was a ballad piece, “Sagebrush Symphony,” in which the guard features hand flags in antique gold mosaic. Sopranos are having a rough time with this portion, intonation is a problem. “Rodeo/Houston” picks up the pace as guard dons red silks and rifle. A little more visual complement with some body movements – a hip swerve a la 2003 Phantom was noted. The brass also had a trade off feature handing the solis between low brass to midhorn to soprano. The final portion started off with “Riders in the Sky” where snare players traded off their sets for vintage civil war drum sets strapped to one side of the hip. The tempo is picked up again with the familiar “Magnificent Seven” however, lots of problems keeping the side A horns in sync with side B – making for some dissonance. Hangovers in the sops. Finally able to get it back together for a good ending – but wait, it’s not over!!….a very reverent finale with “Taps” staged the corps in the upper right field playing toward a single guard dancer – a male and female guard pair dancing to the side around the solo soprano, who plays the Taps call making for a very emotional end as the entire corps kneels toward the upper right corner . Troopers were given the first standing ovation of the night for a good show.

Brass: Sopranos are needing some work with intonation and balance. There were several parts that had a feeling that there was lack of support in the high to mid horns and gave that weird “whoa…we’re about to fall apart” feel.

Guard: Nice silk choices, the colors complement the corps better. One single male guard that had a good feature in the final set.

Visual: Looking in hindsight from the other three Division I corps tonight, their visual is lacking in comparison – however, to me the visual book fits the music selection (if that makes any sense).

Overall: This is Troopers 3rd show this year, a lot of spit and polish needed. I hate to be so critical of them because I really liked their show this year, good selections and some really effective moments. I believe they are still working out some bugs in their sets as they are on tour and finding out what is and isn’t working in the show. Regardless, the crowd was receptive for a good effort and familiar repertoire tonight.

DCI SCORE: 54.00 MY SCORE: 63.00

Blue Knights – Denver, CO

A Knight’s Tale

(67 Brass / 12 Front Perc. / 15 Battery / 31 Guard / 2 DM)

BK puts out an original music selection by Mike Nevin. The intro has some tight intro sounds with the percussion adding increase to the tempo. Midhorns have some mean licks flowing into the euphonium/contra. Starting to see some complexity and quick pattern drill for the first time tonight – some fancy block and triangle morphing. The percussion feature was awesome! Some added effect with the pit playing on what looks to be kettle drums (?) guard dons bamboo poles in a kind of sword/joust fight. Backfield horn visuals and crowd pleasing drill. The ballad features the guard framed by the hornline in an arc. Low brass sounding wonderful. Very nice balance at the fermata hold which seems to go on forever. The final section exhibits rifle and some large watercolor blue flags.

Brass: Nice, nice sounds – especially low brass, they seemed to really come out for me. Great sounds from mid-horns executing some really difficult licks as well as the sopranos. Chill bumpy moments as far as their musical statements make it a program that satisfied my expectations that I had early in the season.

Percussion: Very awesome perc feature. Sure to be a favorite for fans come finals time.

Guard: They wore white body suits with a single long sleeve and the BK emblem dots across the front. The only problem I had with guard was color selection. When I think of medieval themed shows I look for more “regal” colors – purple, royal blue, etc. The silks they used were brash neon colors. The guard just didn’t really continue the overall theme of the show as effectively as I would have liked in terms of costuming and props.

Visual: The tempo frames a lot of the visual aspects – making for some speed drill moments, which they carry out quite nicely. The ballad probably could have used some additional movement other than an arc form standstill.

Overall: This is actually a newer approach to a medieval theme than I was getting myself ready for. Don’t get into that mindset that it would be like Cadets ’93 – that was my flaw watching this show. BK's repertoire has more of a modernistic flair with some hints of medieval flavor poking out. As I said, the guard would have rounded out the theme a bit better with some added visual props and staging. Otherwise, if you didn’t know what the name of the show was, you probably wouldn’t have identified it with a medieval “Knight” show. Other than that, they put out a powerful, great performance – adding more fuel to an already fired up audience.

DCI SCORE: 71.00 MY SCORE: 71.85

Glassmen – Toledo, OH

The Voice of One

(69 Brass / 13 Front Perc. / 17 Battery / 34 Guard / 2 DM)

One thing I noticed right off the bat was the way the guard was dressed, many murmurs from the crowd about them also. The guard (all girl, I believe) was in full length white gowns with black capes – a very mystical look. The opener has the entire corps (sans battery) lying flat on the A side of the field. A euphonium solo starts it off with some progressive sounds moving toward the midfield – leading to the first hit section, which the guard reveals from under the black dresses, a red underlining “flag” that they show. The soprano solo was a little sloppy as well as some fracks through a sectional tagline that flowed to a solo tuba. The guard makes several changes from the dress in the intro to blue painters pants and then to a red painter pants. Lots of hidden flags in the wardrobe that come out of nowhere, making a neat effect. Some good sounds in the brassline with the “Medea” theme. The ballad “The Saint” was played toward the backfield – leading to some echo and balance problems as it bounced of the backstands. The closer was from Copland’s “Simple Gifts” started off with a piccolo trumpet. Nice closer drill.

Brass: A very demanding brass book, needing work. I would focus on the midhorns in particular – I heard some great harmonic licks from the mellos but they need to be brought out quite a bit to make the closer much more effective. The sopranos and low brass tend to drown out the midhorns – either midhorns need to be brought out or the remainder parts need to hold back.

Guard: I was mixed on the guard --- they had a good presence in the beginning with a bold look – but the mood gets killed when they start donning painter’s pants for the remainder. Painter’s pants ?!?! That kinda killed my first impression toot sweet. I did enjoy their use of having equipment and flags come out of nowhere.

Visual: Probably not as effective a visual design as BK, but they are executing the program adequately. I’d put them ahead of BK in visual from the fact that the guard had some “magic” behind them with some hidden flags, dresses becoming it’s own flag, etc.

Overall: I’ve enjoyed Glassmen in the past – usually I have to watch their programs several times to get a feel for them and get used to them. Honestly, I think the one thing that is holding back Glassmen is they are putting out some “high-brow” sophisticated programs. They have an excellent stage presence but their execution of such a heavily demanded program is lacking – there’s just something missing – I guess they’d call it the ‘X’ factor ??. I’d hate to reference past programs, but I am reminded of Star ’93 – Star seemed to muster more musical attitude to Medea – and I think that’s what G-men are gonna need to do to make this program work for them.

DCI SCORE: 70.70 MY SCORE: 70.00

Phantom Regiment -- Rockford, IL

Apasionada 874

(70 Brass / 11 Front Perc. / 18 Battery / 35 Guard / 2 DM)

I’ll try to contain my bias, being a Phantom Phan. Staging from the start has the tubas at midfield with the battery surrounding them – the horns are lined up on the B-side 20, the guard on the A-side 20 creating an overall frame. Tubas start off with a tango beat followed by some fancy footwork (two steps forward, two steps sideway, two steps forward, two steps sideway….). The two advancing lines from the 20’s converge and meet together with the hornline complimenting the tuba backbeat. Lots of dance steps with some flub-ups here and there. Making way to the hit section – emphasis on hit – a straight smack in the head with the sopranos and “Buicks.” Some elements from last year some out – the Phantom Kickoff, the brass wedge, the crabstep… Some neat features include castanets on the bass drums and even a feature where the entire pit plays castanets. The closer also has some reminiscent moments from last year with a similar reprise hit with midhorn lick, the crabstep powers on through with a toilet bowl spiral morphing into the end wedge, though it wasn’t present tonight – we might see the frontline kneel and kickstand like last year – it’d fit.

Brass: The brass practically took the night – huge, knock-ya-ten rows-back sounds. High energy. Truly amazing with the licks these guys were playing. Their brass book did not disappoint – I’d figure them heavy contenders for high brass come finals.

Percussion: Lots of Latin elements, huge bass sounds with four front line bass stands. The percussion seemed pretty tight, from a brassman’s POV, I’ve always enjoyed their front line percussion and this year seems no different.

Guard: One problem I had with last year’s guard with their lack of synchronicity. This year makes me wonder if the same will occur – they chose huge bulky flags in a couple of segments which I think will hinder their guardwork even further. The costuming does have that ’91 PR flavor that many people have commented on earlier. The colors are light yellow and tend to blend adequately with the corps unis.

Visual: Regiment is putting a very difficult visual book out there – it’s exciting and has potential. What may hurt Regiment this year is all the intricate footwork that the visual staff has put together. Gives a ton of effect for a Latin show, but I wonder if those members that have the “two left feet” syndrome are going to have some problems getting these steps down pat in time for Denver.

Overall: Hearing Regiment the second time through during the victory concert, I was able to audibly hear elements from last year. Many people are going to try to compare this year’s show with ’03 because a lot of those elements have bled into this show also. I can imagine some new things being added on as the season progresses as they have in years past. The show has that blended feel of 1991 with 2003. Frankly, this will be a program that has a great brass book – the staff now needs to get out the Mop N’ Glow and get that visual program to polish. If taken in the right direction, this could truly be a show that could earn 3rd or better in Finals – however, I haven’t seen the other corps, so take that with a grain of salt, friends.

DCI SCORE: 77.15 MY SCORE: 80.00

RETREAT – America / O Canada played the way it should be – no embellishment or members trying to take it up an octave, no one trying to be a hero and overplay, the cutoff was right on with no overplay. It started to try to sprinkle again – but by the time Phantom was getting ready for their encore, it passed. They replayed the show and ended off with Elsa’s Procession.

PICTURES --- Now available --- scroll down to a post I placed that has the link.

That’s my review – hopefully it passes worth snuff for everyone. :)

EDIT -- must.....find....spell....check

Edited by CorpsFanDentist

Thanks, hopefully this year will be BK's chance to get back into the hunt this year. We shall see.....

Speaking of BK, my understanding is that "A Knight's Tale" is supposed to be more of a reference to their own namesake than to a medieval tale. Could that explain the "dots" on the guard uni and the trittico theme we heard from the winter recording?

Thanks for the fine review, Shawn! You kept your "bias" for Regiment in abeyance long enough to write your honest comments. ^OO^

Now that you have seen Phantom Regiment, do you feel -- as I do -- that the staff paid close attention to last year's overall effectiveness and wrote the show for '04 in a way that may very well place Regiment in contention for a higher placement this year? J. D. Shaw, himself highly-accomplished on the mellphone during his marching days, has given his instrument a prominent position in his brass book again this year. A far cry from the more traditional after beat notes formerly written in mid voice parts, Shaw's mello parts are to die for! Those runs, especially in the reprise near the end of the 2003 show, were thrilling to hear, weren't they? I believe that is why we are hearing something simliar in 2004, especially given the quality of musicians in this year's mello line. You wrote that you noticed the similarities. That's good, right?

You also noted the higher degree of difficulty in the drill, something the staff may have felt was needed for the corps to have a chance to place higher this year. Given the quality of this year's corps and staff, perhaps they have the vehicle, the driver and the road map for success! Agree?

Hey Doris

Yes, I believe that Regiment does have a good chance of making waves in Denver. You could tell Shaw's part in the brass book last year and this year. To me the mellophone part gives a motoric quality. In that regard, that since of motion can be seen better visually this year.

The similarities of '03 and '04 are evident if you look carefully. However, I've seen the '03 video to the point where it's worn out, so it came easier for me to see that. I believe the similarity is a good thing -- why not use it? It received rave reviews last year -- just build upon that foundation and it could take off.

You can also see Sanchez's influence with the drill this year -- a lot tighter and more complex than last year IMHO. There are quite a few formations that really fly. The road map is there. The driver (who I'd consider the staff) seems to be making nice strides with it and keeping the corps on course with the program. All we have to hope for is that the vehicle (being the corps) can withstand the path given and endure the efforts given by its driver. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, by Denver-time, our "vehicle" happens to be a McLearen F-1 (click here to see what I mean).

Thanks so much for your review.

Given that we are in Ohio, and have yet to see PR, the reviews are much appreciated.

We toyed with driving to Memphis for Sunday night, but work on Monday with no sleep....oh well :(

Can't wait for July 3rd when we will go to Michigan City, Indiana.

Our son, Geoff is marching his third year with PR, and ages out this year.

GO REGIMENT!!!!

Shawn...from one reviewer to another....KUDOS GRANDE!!!

Very very very nice review...A+++++++!!

:rolleyes:

I have not seen nor heard ANY of PR's stuff YET this year! Been so busy at work, traveling etc, I'm not sure I even have a home (kidding of course) anymore!

Anyway SUPER REVIEW! Glad PR is getting the visual under wraps to some degree but they better tighten the ship up soon. Perhaps cutting out ** some ** of the dancewaork from spots that may not really need it? Not haveing sen the show yet, it seems that the footwork, and perhaps, according to dome * too much* dancing (??).

2003 was the best thing for "me" since 1996....

Having said that, I'm glad PR is coming 'out of it's proverbial shell', and trying some new composers/music. Speaking of brass, the new king horns have a lot to do with it I think. The tone, pitch and power they have over some other brands is exceptional, and they fit PR and their musical style to a "T". JD Shaw is *awesome* and as a mellophone player all my life, LIVE FOR some of those sweet arrangements and those awesome articulate runs, like 2003.

Can't wait to see/hear them in Pittsburgh and Allentown. Should be a good two nights comparison, so until then...........

GO PHOR IT PHANTOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!