Louisville KY, 6/26/04

great review Matt.

I gotta disagree on the heart issue. It's virtually saying that the is no other corps out there that has the heart to compete and that's 100% bull. And to say that a corps placement is derived from heart with the analogy of the Miracle on Ice is WAY offbase. One Corps desire can't effect another Corps unlike another hockey team. It's subjective competition vs head-to-head competition. TRUST ME, as someone who has done both activities there is NO LEGITIMATE WAY to make that comparison work.

I'm not attacking anyone, but I do take offense when someone goes and insults someone who's put in some solid years in this activity over something as simple as a review.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a new Magic Mom reading all the reviews. Many talk about visuals, time changes, finances, etc. However, the Magic have all the components in place for a show that place them. What Matt and others fail to recognize is an unknown AND unmeasurable wildcard factor called HEART. HEART is what got the US Hockey team to beat Russia back in the 80's when no one thought they had a shot. This whole organization has heart. Everyone is committed, Jim Russo, the Board, the staff, and even the volunteers have done whatever it takes to make Magic a reality this year. As a new member of the Magic family, I am honored to know these young people and have a healthy respect for what they are working toward accomplishing as part of each and everyone of their own personal goals. They deserve the right to have people not disrespect them (or any other corps for that matter). At this level, there is room for everyone without having to step on anyone to get there. I wish all the corps a great season and times to remember for the rest of your lives.

MagicMom

I think that you, as a parent of a corps member, need not read reviews if you can't handle the perspectives and criticisms of others.

After every show, there will be a review. Reviews basically critique the performance from the writer's perspective. Most of the authors of these reviews have ample experience from which to draw their conclusions. Some present their viewpoints in a completely positive manner...almost sugar coating things. Others will be honest and straightforward, while yet others will be brutally honest. You have to take the good with the bad. If you disagree with a person's assessment, you still have to remember, they have offered their opinions...and they are entitled to them.

When your favored corps begins to show signs that they might be slipping in competition, it is tough. No one knows this any better than I do. When I marched, my corps was a top 6 contender. Not too long after I aged out and while I was on staff, I witnessed our corps fall not only out of that bracket, but out of the top 12 entirely...eventually out of semifinals. It's tough. But, we knew that we were falling and we expected criticism. Nothing you can do about that.

Heart cannot be judged. Heart can only help improve the performance. Judges have to deal with enough intangibles as it is...let's not make their job any more difficult by having to define which corps has the most desire and heart.

Every drum corps that I've encountered has heart. Lots of it. At times it is very evident on the field, ala Phantom 1996 in finals, Spirit 1980 finals, or SCV 1988 finals. Some corps performances almost seem robotic, as they make it look so effortlessly and flawless, like most any Blue Devils show or Star of Indiana, but to think that they lacked heart is incredibly wrong.

What is "heart"?

Determination.

A desire to be your best...not necessarily THE best.

Riding across the nation, sleeping on gym floors, and eating on sidewalks.

Paying hundreds, even thousands of dollars for 2+ months of tour.

Driving great distances for rehearsals.

Giving up summer jobs to follow your passion.

Returning year after year to repeat the same experiences and create new ones.

Now...does not every corps have heart? Certainly. Magic 2004 doesn't have a corner on the heart market. Crown members and staff must have heart...they are putting everything they've got into their corps and it shows...they are improving leaps and bounds. Cavies, BD, or Cadets must have heart as they couldn't continually ride the top without it.

Unfortunately Magic is not up to their usual standard of excellence at this time of the year. The only thing that can be judged is their proficiency and prowess on the field. It is not being disrespectful for a person to review the show and call it like they see it. When reading reviews in the future...expect everything from praise to unrelenting negativity.

Welcome to our world of drum corps, newbie parent! thanks for allowing your child to be a part of this activity. Without their participation and others like them, there would be no Magic, Spirit, Cavies, or Cadets.