Louisville KY, 6/26/04

Results:

Marion Glory Cadets: 51.9

12: Kiwanis Kavaliers 52.85

11: Southwind: 56.8

10: Magic: 61.3

9: Capital (I resisted the temptation to make an excessively visual display of celebration): 63.15

8: Spirit: 69.05

7: Crossmen: 71.0

5: Bluecoats/Crossmen (tie): 72.9

4: Madison: 73.25

3: Boston (I had them 5th): 75.2

2: Cavaliers: 80.65

1: Cadets: 80.7

Actually YOU were right on the Bluecoats/Crossmen tie for 5th.... it was the JUDGES who were wrong! :P

Excellent review though!

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good review Matt. My complements to the chef!

I can't wait to see the Cadets again. Taking my son to 3 shows this year, Oldbridge,Giants Stadium and Allentown. We saw them at Fan Appreciation Day but they hadn't completed there whole show by that date.

And finally the Cadets get the monkey off there backs by beating the Cavies, YES!!! There is more to come!

Executive Director, Cirque Du Soleil Cadets

Edited by cadets54

THE Cavaliers: They close their unfinished show with a really nice arrangement of "For Your Eyes Only". The ending's a bit abrupt, but it's not all done yet. Perhaps getting beat tonight will accelerate the drill-adding a bit.

I was told yesterday morning, that last night was the last night with that ending. They have already learned the new ending, but wanted to see how long the old one could hold up.

Later

Troy

I am a new Magic Mom reading all the reviews. Many talk about visuals, time changes, finances, etc. However, the Magic have all the components in place for a show that place them. What Matt and others fail to recognize is an unknown AND unmeasurable wildcard factor called HEART. HEART is what got the US Hockey team to beat Russia back in the 80's when no one thought they had a shot. This whole organization has heart. Everyone is committed, Jim Russo, the Board, the staff, and even the volunteers have done whatever it takes to make Magic a reality this year. As a new member of the Magic family, I am honored to know these young people and have a healthy respect for what they are working toward accomplishing as part of each and everyone of their own personal goals. They deserve the right to have people not disrespect them (or any other corps for that matter). At this level, there is room for everyone without having to step on anyone to get there. I wish all the corps a great season and times to remember for the rest of your lives.

MagicMom

What Matt and others fail to recognize is an unknown AND unmeasurable wildcard factor called HEART.

Realize that as observers of the activity, we are giving a review of what we see...good or bad.

Constructive criticism is never a bad thing for anyone. No one has it out for any group of kids that has a head on their shoulder in this activity.

In regards to the Kiwanis Kavaliers uniform. The DM uniform is the uniform that the corps used to wear in the late 80's. So going to this for the corps would actually be going back to a uniform they previously used, and I would be all for that too.

I am a new Magic Mom reading all the reviews. Many talk about visuals, time changes, finances, etc. However, the Magic have all the components in place for a show that place them. What Matt and others fail to recognize is an unknown AND unmeasurable wildcard factor called HEART. HEART is what got the US Hockey team to beat Russia back in the 80's when no one thought they had a shot. This whole organization has heart. Everyone is committed, Jim Russo, the Board, the staff, and even the volunteers have done whatever it takes to make Magic a reality this year. As a new member of the Magic family, I am honored to know these young people and have a healthy respect for what they are working toward accomplishing as part of each and everyone of their own personal goals. They deserve the right to have people not disrespect them (or any other corps for that matter). At this level, there is room for everyone without having to step on anyone to get there. I wish all the corps a great season and times to remember for the rest of your lives.

MagicMom

I'm confused. What did Matt say wrong? I was there and pretty much agree with his assessment. Also, their staff knows it's an uphill battle from what I heard from them on Saturday ( They were sitting one row behind me talking about how things went). I don't think anyone has said anything horrible wrong about Magic in this thread. So why so defensive? Just curious...

BTW, I pretty much agree with Matt's review. I'd like to add that I really enjoyed Crown's use of amplification ( despite being uneasy at the idea of EVERYONE doing that ). I really didn't enjoy Boston's use of narration, however. It just didn't work for me. Oh well, they're executing... Good job Boston.... Oh, and about the Kiwanis DM uni.... The whole corps used to look like that, Matt.

No need for my combined Louisville/Memphis review now. Your review ROCKED!

In regards to the Kiwanis Kavaliers uniform.  The DM uniform is the uniform that the corps used to wear in the late 80's.  So going to this for the corps would actually be going back to a uniform they previously used, and I would be all for that too.

Actually. Kiwans Kavaliers' Drum Major is wearing the corps proper from the late 80's - 96 (the last time the corps played WWS). I always liked the red top myself, as it seems so 'unique' and aggresive. The black uni's made their first showing in '97, after the corps placed 14th in 96. The staff wanted something that would look nice under the stadium lights (which I thought they did).

Oddly enough, the original poster mentioned they'd like to see the corps in the red jackets and the DM in a black jacket: that's exactly what the corps looked like for almost ten years!

I wouldn't mind seeing the corps go back to the red jackets, or at least some sort of

variation of red jacket; it would add a lot of color to the corps.

--

doug

'We are ONE'

Edited by perc2100