What are the best brand of horns?

DCIFanOfAllDivisions

What are the best brand of horns based on sound, durability, and price?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What are the best brand of horns based on sound, durability, and price?

• Dynasty
    • King
    • Yamaha
    • Kanstul
    • Jupiter

I've heard good things about king, but they're still in the r&d phases. On the other hand they're probably offering pretty good prices and will likely work with staffs to get the horns they want. They're also physically pretty solid.

Degs are #### and jupiters are #### that came from farther away (sorry, best way to describe them). If you want to waste 60 grand every year, get one of those brands.

A lot can be said for Yamaha. I personally haven't liked a lot of their models, but I must admit they're put together pretty well and a lot of other people do like them. There's also the possibility of a drum deal along with the horns if you play it right. (same for degs but they're ####, remember?) Another good side: you get to pick whatever trumpet you want as long as they already make it. Cabs are using large bore xenos for example. They have a full sized contrabass now and rumor has it a euph is coming. Now let's talk about this closed-wrap mello...

Kanstul: Ziggy's always made good horns. Think back and make a list of some of your favorite bugle makers and he was probably working there. Low brass is absolutely beautiful, the mellos have almost been raised to the status of a real musical instrument (that's good), and the trumpets are practically Bb sopranos. Nice, fat, wide-open sound from top to bottom. Pitch is really good on these too from what i've heard. Downside: more expensive than the rest and you need to plan ahead as they're handmade and take a while.

Oh yeah, a decision... 1. kanstul 2. yamaha 3. king is a close third.

Edited by John Schmitt

When I marched, we started on Kanstul...awesome horns! Before the season was over, we had bought some new Dynastys...not too bad to play...very soft though...didnt take much abuse. The valves were pretty lame too...never real responsive or smooth action.

In '94 we tested some prototype Yamaha bugles...they were pretty crappy, but they make a great Bb horn, so that might be the way to go now.

No experience with the others...I do love my King 3B 'bone though!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was still with Spirit in 2001, we purchased a set of Kanstuls with which we were pretty pleased. Some problems with the Alto's but after some long distance chatting, we figured out the problems and they shipped us the replacement slides to make them work. As far as I know, they are still playing those horns.

After starting with Court of Honor, after MUCH deliberation and playing lots of different horns, we purchased a brand new set of King Bb's this year. Not only have I been impressed with the horns themselves, but the SERVICE we have gotten from the company has been OUTSTANDING.

Based on the combination of quality of workmanship, durability, playing characterstics and "customer service", I would recommend King to anyone at this juncture. Knowing how the "corporate world" operates and "buy outs" occur and engineers leave for other company's, that might change in the future, but we are truly thrilled with the horns and the service right now.

Hats off to everyone associated with the King manufacturing process and service organization and thanks for the great instruments and your support!!.

Take care, AA

You are the second person to confirm to me that Yamaha made a bugle in the key of g.What happened to these bugels??ARe there any for sale out there.I would love to get ahold of one.

In '94 we tested some prototype Yamaha bugles...they were pretty crappy, but they make a great Bb horn, so that might be the way to go now.

!