Who is REALLY responsible for PR's mello book/runs

PRPhan4ever

Ok, been readin' all about PR's brass book from 03' to this year and I'm now wondering WHO actually wrote/scored the mello runs in PR (03 & 04) ?? If JD Shaw wrote the brass "book" both years, then would he not, as the chief writter, write those runs also?

I know caption heads and other staff make adjustments to the book and pages as the season progresses, but those mello runs were in the 03' PR book very, very early in the season, and I imagine the same is true for this year.

As a mellophone player as long as I can remember, they are "to die for". Last year, I video taped, photographed and audio recorded two (2) days of rehearsal in Allentown, PA. In sectionals, I recorded (audio & vdeo) all separately for approx 15 mins a piece, and the meloo and baritone parts were so interwoven, it's unbelieveable !!

Anyone have the scoop? My musical intuition is this: JD Shaw wrote them, the staf (Rabon and other's) perfected them and got them to be as awesome as they were! All I can say, standing in front of the baritones practiceing the 'Canon Reprise' last year is that thosee King horns are F****ing LOUD!!!!

Trisha

There were some tasty mello licks in the horn book in early June, before tour.

WHO actually wrote/scored the mello runs in PR (03 & 04) ??  If JD Shaw wrote the brass "book" both years, then would he not, as the chief writter, write those runs also?

I believe it is either J.D. Shaw or Kevin Rabon that wrote those euphoric mello runs. Both were mellophone players in their marching years.

My vote would be Shaw.

Edited by CorpsFanDentist

JD Shaw quite the horn player ??? YOU BET!!

I have every one of the BOSTON BRASS CD's and they are awesome. JD Shaw & group (Boston Brass) did a CD a few trs back with an orgainst friend of min! The CD was called, not to mention the great sound: "Out of This World!"

He was quite the soloist too I recall. 91 being his best year, but I'm biased to Pagliacchi! :P

In any event, I talked with him briefly in Allentown in 03' and he is such a consumate lover of mid brass, guess it comes from "being" in that aura and the gorgeous writtings of Jim Wren that gave him the fire he has, but he is, undoubtedly, ONE OF the BEST there is are far as mello players go, and making quite the name for himself as far as brass charts go!

Best wishes PR....see you in Pittsburgh and Allentown!

Can't wait!!

the aura of jim wren? from what i've heard, the two have very different opinions of the "mellophone's place" in the ensemble... these disagreements came to a head in 94(maybe?) when J.D. was a brass tech. Then again, drum corps develops some interesting tails... maybe someone closer to the organization would know

i love J.D.'s writing

i love Jim Wren's writing

but i find that they differ quite a bit.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Be that as it may - JD truly respects Mr. Wren's opinnion.

I believe it is either J.D. Shaw or Kevin Rabon that wrote those euphoric mello runs. Both were mellophone players in their marching years.

Kevin Rabon played soprano - not mellophone. He aged out PR '95.

Edited by hammondbrass

I marched in 94 and distinctly remember JD and Mr. Wren having a disagreement about a mello lick JD added. I also remember not seeing JD too much after that. You can't argue with the incredible talent of Mr. Wren, but I do love a good n tasty mello lick.

Rumor has it, that the "Mello Lick" was in the show come finals night.

I've heard many stories on this topic, all were before J.D.'s hiring in 2002.

Dave Gilday