MODESTO, CA Review

Place: MODESTO, CA

Show: Kaleidoscope Klassic

Stadium: Johannson High School Stadium

Date/Time: July 1, 7:30 - 10:30

Weather: high 80s to low 70s

View: From the 40 near the top

Hello again. Well, yet another perfect evening for a corps show. I'm writing this review at work today (also my birthday today), so if things become a little disjointed, it's probably because the boss has stopped by. Here we go:

VENUE: Real quick. Typical high school stadium: Bleachers on both sides, track separating you from the field. Corps enter and exit from the lower right of the field, which meant most corps simply marched off instead of marching in front of the stands, but that's ok.

In order of appearance:

(Note that there will be many references to the Stockton show, so if you weren't there, go read my review on that show first.)

RIVER CITY REGIMENT: 47.15

Very much improved and a little bigger than they were at the Stockton show (see, told ya). It was good to see them get bigger, even if by a couple of members. Good musical selections as I said before. Nice to see the full show with the Tower of Power ending tacked on, which is a great way to end. I think the new members both help and hurt the corps as where they do get bigger there are inherent cleanliness issues. The drumline is small but well written, but don't march very well. The screamer, Brian Hodgkins, really has his opportunity to carry the corps during his solos and never disappoints. The guard is bigger and much improved over past years, and I really liked the flags with gold on one side and red (velvet?) on the other, very unique. Good show for a small program.

VANGUARD CADETS: 68.80

The strong sections of these guys and gals is the drum line and colorguard which are both very clean throughout the show. The brass look good as far as numbers go, but they seem to have the same power level of BDB who looks 15 or so members smaller, especially at the opening hit. I also think their balance is a little on the high end. Marching was clean with few spacing problems but the drill as always is on an A corps level. The second piece is really the shining point with a cheery and bright feeling. Not bad, certaintly helped not having the Academy go ahead of you. Not bad at all.

BLUE DEVILS "B": 67.55

Like SCVC the strong sections are the drums and guard, especially the guard. I liked how the flags were consistantly complimentary to the uniforms of the whole corps. The drum line "pods" feature is well done and well played. A little dirt to clean up during the rest of the show, but nothing glaringly huge. Nice recovery on the bottom basses part after he missed a step or rolled an ankle or something like that. I know the feeling as when I played bottom bass I rolled my ankle two times in a row crab stepping. Not fun. As for the brass, they have a good balance when standing still or moving slowly, but when really flying they loss quite a bit of sound. However the condensing block near the finish was very nice. A quality program that shows off the drums and guard. Well played for the evening.

FEVER: 69.05

Don't let the home town score fool you. They were VERY good. The first hit was breathtaking which recieved a few standing O's. The brass is very well balanced with strong attacks while marching to a tough meter (remember, they're playing Tool) which is very intruiguing from an audience point of view. Are the guard getting uniforms or are the black leotards it for the year? No big wup, just would add some more color out there, although the orange flags during the ballad were extremely effective. The drum line was dirty, but they have some tremndous chops, so look for them to only get better. The show has a lot going for it, especially for this 2nd year corps who looks to make big waves if and when they go to finals. Did I mention they were the first Div.2 corps I've seen to use amps? They were a tad loud at the start, but someone turned them down and were less intrusive. Great show, deserved the victory.

MANDARINS: 66.70

Here's the bad: Drum line needs a meatier warmup and there's too much singing. There, the rest is all good. Nice helmet for the drum major, it's like a cross between a viking, a samuri, and a dragon, very interesting. They should retitle this show Taiko Samuri because that's what you get: Lots and lots of kick-arse taiko druming with the guard, and sometimes the entire corps, acting as samuri. A superbly designed show with great drill. The guard and flags are excellently used and the drum line feature with the taiko drums couldn't last long enough. The brass is small, like always, but packs a great punch and really has some tough drill to tame especially near the end. As I said, too much singing for the opener. Change it and you will get big ups from me (like you care). An unintended effect was the near full moon rising in the distance as the corps hit their first big hits and the moon's color matched the guards outfits. Very nice show. Get another 30 members and they'll be contesting with the "big" boys. Excellent show.

SEATTLE CASCADES: 66.60

First time I've seen them this year. I read a few reviews, so I wasn't expecting a "knock-me-over" type show. And that's pretty much what we got. Just kinda a ho-hum type show. It's not bad, it just doesn't grab the audience (well, at least me anyway). The brass has a very nice balance leading to a great overall sound quality. Whoever designed this show really utilized the entire field throughout, with compliments to the corps for maintaining the quality of sound while marching so far appart. The beginning was very very nice with the rainsticks in the guard and then the corps hitting their big block while three separate guard members with three differently colored flags run towards the middle to meet at the end of the chord. Very effective. The drum line was ok with good marching. Nice crab steps. I really just think this show lacks a little attitude or pizazz. There's a lot of movement but nothing to just say "oh my" at. Nonetheless a quality show. I hope they make semi's.

BLUE DEVEILS: 81.00

I love the drum line "mosh pit" style warmup. If it's possible, they seem to have kicked it up a notch since Stockton. Since I had seen it once I was able to understand the train effect even better this time. The solos were perfect, the blasts were loud but in tune. Musically the brass were very precise, but marching they still have some cleanup work to do (missed steps and forms). The guard was near perfection as were the drums. The whole finger chimes section is really awesome. Are those things amped because they really project? The typical jam session near the end makes you shiver. Balanced all the way and a really fun show, keeps you interested from start to finish. The drill doesn't look as difficult as even the Mandarins' at some points, with a lot of follow the leader and collapsing arches. But I guess that's what your going to have with a train. The ending is cool, still haven't determined if I like it yet. Great show! GE to the max.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD: 80.75

The best musically perfect show in years for these guys. I loved it in Stockton and I still love it, if nothing for that first hit that knocks you back on your heels. I think at this point the only thing I can hear is the brass overpowering the drum line, but when they're playing so well with such great balance and sound quality, I want to hear more. The show design isn't as fun as BD, but it is very effective. The driving brass wedge is a very cool drill move. At one point the guard is using oversized flags during the ballad - very nice/chilling moment. The drum line shows some huge chops with a very clean solo, but like I said in Stockton they just kind of fade into the background for the rest of the show. The conpany front is huge near the end. I love it. I want them to win so it's the first track on the cd's. Clean up some of the drill and it will be perfect. Should be champs.

There it is. My review. Now it's lunch time. I will see you all at finals.

That's correct on the FEVER guard uniforms...from what I understand they will add quite a bit of color and even more impact to their show.

Great review! I was very impressed with the show that FEVER has put on the field this year, especially Thursday night. I always try to keep an open mind and each time I see SCV Cadets I think....oh my, it's going to be close....but so far FEVER has come right out and changed that right from the very start. Good job kids....keep it up.

I think that Johansen is a nice stadium, but I prefer Modesto Junior College for viewing drum corps. The only issue is parking....Johansen is much better.

I to agree with your review of the Division I corps. I'm not sure I really like that singing or chanting that Mandarins are doing. It could be a cool effect but seems to really go on too long and just isn't....well, just isn't drum corps....but seems that the entire vocal thing has been slowly building through the years. Can be done effectively...but just don't think Mandarins are doing that.

I like the train concept that BlueDevils has for their show...also not sure about the ending. Just seems to soft and not to BD level to end like that. Their show just doesn't have the "pop" that last years show seemed to have, although I didn't agree with them winning championships it was a very good show. Their always predictable "blow your face off" brass is a crowd favorite but the drill doesn't seem difficult enough for a corps of their caliber and the GE just isn't there for me.

SCV....what can I say! I've said it before....I really like this show. There hasn't been an SCV show that has caught my attention like this since the "Phantom" show. The musical selection and the visual design seem to be perfectly made for each other. The drill has alot more difficulty than BD and is more comparable for a Division I corps of SCV and BD's caliber. I really hope that they do well at Championships and...dare I say...bring the trophy back to California.

Won't make it to Denver myself, but I can't wait to see the results! To all drum corps members....regardless of where you end up....remember, held held high always!

Edited by Who's Got The FEVER?

I like the train concept that BlueDevils has for their show...also not sure about the ending. Just seems to soft and not to BD level to end like that.

Me and the BDB leads decided it would rock, if after the drum line goes into the "station" at the end of the show, if the hornline trunned around and did a train like "WOOWOO!!!" you know, just to give fans the BD-esque loud, brassy ending b**bs ^0^ :worthy: B)

The show has a lot going for it, especially for this 2nd year corps who looks to make big waves if and when they go to finals.

Fever is doing a 2-3 week tour (I don't remember exactly how long) culminating in Denver. So yes, they will be at Championships. Watch out for them. Go Fever!

• 2 weeks later...