Belated Old Bridge and Allentown Review

Hi Folks,

He is a review of what I saw and heard at the Old Bridge NJ and Allentown PA shows…….and here’s the review……..

Raiders: Performing some really difficult arrangements (More about this later) of Adams in a show titled “Adams a Sound Journey” The corps had a pretty rough start with some bad timing……once they locked in the beat the opener became smoother. For a smallish sized corps they sport a good-sized pit that played pretty well along with the rest of the drumline. The color guard jumps out at you with Florissant colors in the uniform and on the guard equipment. The color guard is the best section of the corps right now. The hornline played really well in a few spots with a good overall sound.The hornline is having a really tough time with the music though. Some horn players are sticking out in spots and my suspicion is that it is due to the difficulty of the charts.

Summary: The kids are really giving it they’re all and the staff needs a good talking to. This show is WAY too difficult for this corps. Full size division I corps would have trouble performing it. The members are doing a good job and deserve a lot of credit.

Lehigh Valley Knights: This was the first time I have ever seen Lehigh and I must say I was pretty impressed with them. Their hornline has a pretty nice sound and experienced some minor early season phasing issues. The drumline is probably their strongest section and in the opener they play some nice parts in little pods (Along with the horns). The rifles and sabers did well on most of their tosses and the whole corps is marching well.

Summary: Nice corps that is playing multi-meter segments, which clearly shows off the corps talent. The Drum Major was very sharp.

Jersey Surf: First thing I noticed about this corps is that they are pretty big and confident. The drum major gives the crowd a unique salute and a way we go with some GREAT familiar music arranged in a pleasing way. The hornline was real solid in the opening statement and aside from the contras being a bit blatty in spots this line has a good overall sound. The mellos have a real nice sound. The color guard is wearing some nice flashy read outfits (They remind me of something that the Dutch Boy color guard might have worn) and pop right out at you. The corps finished the opener strong and the marching is pretty darn good for early July. The next part of Surfs show is as crowd appealing as you can get. Just about the whole corps gets behind these huge red curtains and change the top part of their uniform from blue to white. As they are revealed the guard sports huge silver and gold shiny flags and the corps plays Elvis’s famous introduction music. The crowd went nuts in both Old Bridge and Allentown. They play Jailhouse rock (Which did rock) and I could not help but notice how great the color guard was doing during this tune. Some good tosses and execution. The drumline is pretty solid and I think that the snares are a little loose and will tighten up a bit as the season goes on.

Summary: A GREAT show with a lot of fun tunes arranged in a pleasing way. The Elvis material is a HIT and I hope I get the chance to see them again….great show.

Carolina Crown: What a nice big punch of sound from this very nice sounding hornline right out of the gate. The color guard is rock solid and I can’t believe how well this corps is performing right now. In Old Bridge I noticed a few brass players sticking out a little bit here and there but not much. I am sure that most of you who will read this have already seen some comments regarding Crowns ballad, which includes some amplified singing. Let me just put it this way……IT IS NOT NEEDED and IT IS DISTRACTING. AND it does not ruin or add anything to the show. If you do not like the singing (Include me) it comes to an end fairly quickly. BUT, in Allentown there was a major issue regarding static……not good. For some reason the corps seemed to be more on the ball and “really” performing in Allentown……maybe it was my vantagepoint but they really seemed to kick it up a notch in J Birney Crum stadium. The show has so many nice parts and the drumline is CROWN solid. There is a pretty cool drill form the corps makes of a Crown. Try to get to see this show….I think you will like it.

Summary: This corps can really go places this year. They are better than they were last season and it should be very interesting to see where they place. I like the show and look forward to another viewing…..and hopefully after the static problems the corps had with their sound system the staff will think long and hard about getting rid of it.

Glassmen: This years Glassmen are bringing us a show that is typical Glassmen. Lots of unusual music played in a unique and disjointed kind of way. I like the way the corps starts the show. The corps starts the show laying on the ground and slowly little by little get up and make their way to the 50 for the first big musical impact. Keep an eye on the color guard because they do some very interesting things with their uniforms. Reminds me a little of the Crossmens guard last year during the hit in Over the Rainbow. The hornline has a nice overall strong sound but in a few spots some individual players stick out. Drumline seemed to play pretty well during their features. Marching is a bit sloppy…..but they are doing some difficult stuff.

Summary: If you are a Glassmen fan this show won’t disappoint you. I personally am not a big Glassmen fan but I did enjoy the opening and final minutes of their show. The kids are great……..and the staff….well….you have probably seen stuff I have written before about their choices. Let me just say that the last minute or so of this years show is more exciting and entertaining than the previous 10 or so minutes put together.

Spirit: Spirit is strong again this year and the biggest problem that I think they may be having is marching. The brass has a nice sound but don’t push your face back like I think they should. Hopefully the staff will open them up more as the season progresses. The pit plays really well in the opening moments of the show and the drumline is coming along. The guard is pretty solid and the rifles are paticualary strong. Spirit has what maybe my favorite ballad of the season from the juniors. The hornline is in a wedge off to the right a little and do a slow 360 and get louder with a nice lush chord….(Cavies 2001) At this moment the guard runs in front of the hornline with nice rainbow colored flags. Again……I really think the brass staff needs to open this lines sound up more. Spirit should peel ones skin off with their brass sound. The 3rd tune really features their 12 tubas and the drumline. The Tubas are cool. A Cavalier like chord and style ends the 3rd number.

Summary: I like the show and again the ballad will probably be one of my favorites of the season. I think Spirit has made some staff changes in 2004……and you can see Cavalier like trademarks a few times during the show. Spirit needs to be Spirit….more aggressive and the show they are presenting has the opportunity for it. Staff….add a little more SPIRIT….to this show.

Crossmen: Well the Crossmen are getting better little by little. The corps has been doing great with the opening impact and color guard just pops being that they are on all flags. In Allentown the drumline had some major timing issues after the first big hit that was just short of a complete breakdown. I was a bit surprised. They finally got back in the grove to finish out the opener strong. The 2nd number is by far the nicest number they play (IMHO). The hornline is getting better and better projecting a nice full sound during the 2nd number. Another item in their show I should mention is that the soloists all did a fine job and at several points during the show there are some section features.

Summary: I consider myself to be a big Crossmen fan (Since 1987). This years darker Crossmen doesn’t excite me as much as the last few seasons have. The drumline is good in spots…..but believe it or not I think they are probably the weakest section of the corps right now.

Boston Crusaders: Boston either performs a show that just screams out to the crowd or a show that is much more abstract and artistic. This year is one of those artistic years with an all-original show. Still Boston is pretty strong right now in all captions. I really like the dual colored flags in the beginning. One side of the flag is colored two different gray tones and the other side is gray and yellow. The flags are swung in way where you see the colors switch back and forth. There is narration throughout the show (Mostly in the beginning and the end) I like the variety of the sticks the snareline is using and they (Along with the rest of the drumline) are fairly tight. Towards the end the narrator introduces each color (About 6 of them) and they are represented by different colored tops on the color guard members. Maybe I don’t understand what this color theme is all about but I would have thought that during the introduction of each color the brasslines tone color would change. Guess not……. At the end of the show the guard surrounds the corps in a diamond shape with blue flags and then whole corps disappears behind huge cubes for a silent ending.

Summary: Similar to the Crossmen…….I don’t like Bostons show this season as much as I did last seasons. The narration is unnecessary and probably overdone. I would like to see Crown beat them when its all said and done in August.

Cadets: This show is coming along nicely. They have made several changes since the last time I saw them about a month ago. The beginning is still the same. I really wish they would change it a bit. Maybe a quicker tempo or more movement. This corps doesn’t really have any weaknesses that stand out and I think they have the drumline to beat again this season. The real drop-dead tune in their show is Bouree. The color guard is real strong throughout and do some neat stuff with their shirts.

Summary: Really solid corps right now that can definitely compete for the 2004 title. The show has classical, jazz, rock and swing music throughout. Great variety and a great show.

Sorry for any typos :worthy:

Cheers,

Triple Forte

Triple Forte wrote regarding Boston;

<<<Maybe I don’t understand what this color theme is all about but I would have thought that during the introduction of each color the brasslines tone color would change. Guess not……. >>>

But, that would be truly creative, within the established, successful paramters of what drum corps is......shocking , isn't it ??

~G~

:) Hey Thanks for the review....

Come and watch the Raiders grow as the membership rises with passion to meet the challenges placed before them.

Our members have coined a new phrase...."Challenge & Excellence are our fun!"

:)

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. One comment:

Regarding your "Summary" about the Crossmen drumline; obviously you haven't been looking at the Recaps. Also, they were missing a snare Saturday night, which may have made them look off.

Triple Forte wrote regarding Boston;

<<<Maybe I don’t understand what this color theme is all about but I would have thought that during the introduction of each color the brasslines tone color would change. Guess not……. >>>

But, that would be truly creative, within the established, successful paramters of what drum corps is......shocking , isn't it ??

~G~

What a concept, eh, ~G~?

B)

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. One comment:

Regarding your "Summary" about the Crossmen drumline; obviously you haven't been looking at the Recaps. Also, they were missing a snare Saturday night, which may have made them look off.

Missing a snare can shake things up a bit. I really don't make it a habit to look at recaps.....unless something really unusual happens. The Crossmen's D line just doesn't seem to be in that Crossmen GROOVE that I am use to hearing....at some points they do sound GOOD !!!

Triple Forte