my god my mouth is dry!!!!!

cabsbaritone

I always like sucking candy before getting to the gate. It seems to take the nerves away because all I can think about is how good it tastes... oh I also picture the crowd having mass orgies.(blocking out the bad lookers like that little blurred spot you see on Howard Stern's show)

Edited by RCRchartersop

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dry up so bad that it becomes impossible to play.I have tried lemons and these only proved not to work long enough to get me through the show.

I think,for me the dryness is all caused by nerves.

I can play all day during practice.but come time for the show and three seconds after stepping off,it's cotton mouth time.

I've resorted to keeping a piece of gum tucked away between my cheek and gum.

Another one of the sopranos has a water bottle attached to his horn with a bite tip on it. I've thought about trying it.

Edited by JCSeymour

I always like sucking candy before getting to the gate. It seems to take the nerves away because all I can think about is how good it tastes...  oh  I also picture the crowd having mass orgies.(blocking out the bad lookers like that little blurred spot you see on  Howard Stern's show)

We're not allowed anything sugary before we play -- not good for the horns. If we do have bug juice or iced tea, we have to rinse our mouth out.

But I think the lemons might work. And the H2O bottle is an awesome idea, but probablly not allowed either in our corps.

Edited by CabsMello03

Maybe it's due to the lack of rain this year LOL! I think our bodies got used to being waterlogged on a daily basis last year!

I have had this problem preshow before, but only on days when I don't drink enough water. Staying hydrated not only the day of the show, but the day before the show is very important. If you are up drinking sodas (the adult variety or the normal variety) it's going to dry you out. If you ahve a show on Saturday and are driking sodas all day friday, you are going to be naturally dry all day. Same thing is especially true if your corps rehearses on Friday Nights.

Another thing, gatorade, powerade, and that sort of thing is not always the best for you. It can provide a quick fix to staying hydrated at practice and carry it to your muscles faster, but good old fashioned water is still the best answer. I tend to drink it before practice and after practice, usually afterwards I water it down.

So there you have it, stay hydrated! Not only on the show days, but also the day or days leading up to the show.

I always like sucking candy before getting to the gate. It seems to take the nerves away because all I can think about is how good it tastes...  oh  I also picture the crowd having mass orgies.(blocking out the bad lookers like that little blurred spot you see on  Howard Stern's show)

We're not allowed anything sugary before we play -- not good for the horns. If we do have bug juice or iced tea, we have to rinse our mouth out.

But I think the lemons might work. And the H2O bottle is an awesome idea, but probablly not allowed either in our corps.

I'm pretty sure the guy using the water bottle said the judges never said anything. I believe he also used it when he was with Empire.

It's not real big in diameter and it fits in a way that it's kind of hidden.

Edited by JCSeymour

Soak one of your gloves in water. It wont stain and when you dry out just quickly suck on part of the glove to get some moisture back into your mouth. only works with soft absorbant material.

I'm pretty sure the guy using the water bottle said the judges never said anything. I believe he also used it when he was with Empire.

It's not real big in diameter and it fits in a way that it's kind of hidden.

It's not about the judges, it's about corps policy. But thanks.

When I marched Vk we would get lemon juice and get a couple of squirts before the show always worked.

In a word: Anxiety.

Sympathetic "Fight-or-Flight" autonomic response is responsible for the little/no salivary production. Couple that with the drying effect of heavily breathing/blowing through the mouth to accelerate the drying.

For many people, performance (drum corps) can invoke strong emotional/anxieties - both good and bad, it doesn't matter. With the amount of time, effort and sacrifice invested in the drum corps activity, it’s no surprise that when it comes in contact with a pressured, competitive and public performance, the result is an extreme sympathetic (non-parasympathetic) experience.

I'm not convinced that there is a specific remedy - but your may raise your baseline resistance by making sure at least your Na, K, Ca, Cl ions are not out-of-whack. Relaxation techniques may be effective for some people. Slowed breathing, closed eyes, thoughts of pleasant places, focusing on a single thought. etc. etc.

In a word: Relax

:P