my god my mouth is dry!!!!!

cabsbaritone

Ok... so some of us Baritones have been talking this year and for some reason during shows we have been getting rediculous cases of Dry mouth (and throat) It's driving me crazy and I want to know #1 ... why???? and #2... how can I possibly fix it. this has never happened any other year I've been in corps just this year...

can anyone help me out?!?!?!?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from my director that Phantom Regiment provided lemons for all brass to suck on before a show to prevent dry mouth...

I don't know if they do that anymore.

As to why it's happening now, I have no clue. Dry mouth was probably a cause for my fair audition in a high school band...

I don't like it at all...

I heard from my director that Phantom Regiment provided lemons for all brass to suck on before a show to prevent dry mouth.

Back when I marched in Phantom Regiment, we did suck on lemon quarters before every show. It seemed to help. Whether it was dry or not, it became one of our pre-performance rituals.

I'm a professional singer and from time to time I have suffered your fate (and yes, it STINKS)..

It could be any number of things.. are you taking any allergy medicine (over the counter or prescription?) or any medication regularly? Are you getting at least 80oz of water in a day? Are you perspiring more for any reason (hmmm.. a tough one, right? lol)?

If you can rule all these things out, keep examining.. are you eating more salt? (sodas count!)..

Now.. for the remedies I have a couple that I use:

It's BEST overall to stay away from sugar if you can avoid it.. so sucking on a candy will not necessarily help.. but it can be a quick, immediate fix..

If that's the route you choose to take, I recommend Altoids curiously strong citrus.. they are like concentrated lemon juice in an altoid sized candy. They aren't too sweet.. they are VERY TART.. be careful you don't give yourself a taste bud pimple..

Aside from that, I use a product called "Vocal Rescue" (I'll dig out the 800 number when I get home tonight). It comes in a little spray bottle and I get it at health food stores (though lately, I've had to have my mom send it from the west coast).. I will swear by this stuff.. it's basically a vocal moisturizer.. it helps get stuff moving again.. it's all natural.. it tastes sort of like tea.. it's not "tasty" so you won't over use it.. but it does the trick!

When neither of those two are available, I just rely on the old stand by.. lemon juice and honey.. at room temp.. tart as you can stand it.. it makes my mouth water just to think about it.. (heavy on the lemon.. light on the honey.. again, staying away from any sugar.. it dries you out)

If none of these remedies work.. or your dry mouth continues for more than about a week straight.. call your doctor. Could be something else going on.

Stay hydrated and good luck!!

I heard from my director that Phantom Regiment provided lemons for all brass to suck on before a show to prevent dry mouth...

I used to do that and I can state that It works!

A few Baritones in our line have been noticing the same thing this season. This last weekend I made sure to drink plenty of water all day and especially just prior to performing. Also, something I used to use to keep my mouth and throat lubed when I was performing as a singer was Ricola Cough Drops. (The ones in the yellow package) I swear by them. That seemed to do the trick. I will have to try it again on our next show day.

If you come up with another solution please share. :D

Originally I was going to blame it on the 'bad air' you are experiencing in the north - overexposure to some biproducts of combustion (lingering smoke from the canadian forest fires) over a long period of time will cause some of these symptoms - but I think that might be a big stretch, since I haven't heard of this from other corps in your area. I do know, however, that the medical community is seeing a much higher number of these and other respiratory cases in the northeast this year.

Here's something else you might try,especially if it happens during competion: think about something sour, picturing it and repeating it's name in your mind several times (lemons, pickles, etc.). Just like the old psychology experiment with the salivating dog and the bell (Jung??), associating the thought with the taste will get the saliva rolling. works in seconds.

You also may have noticed while just reading about some of these remedies, including LEMONS, that your mouth is watering.

I do agree that if it continues, you may want to see your MD.