Birmingham?

So, then, all - why not weigh in on if it's correct and "cool" to yell "Vanguard" at the correct moment, or "SUTA" or whatever it is that certain people think are cool but others don't.

Whether it be a for instance Rebecca, or it be Vanguard, it's still distracting....can anyone say one is classy and the other isn't? Which is it? I've read many times how "way cool" it is, and where and when do we yell "Vanguard' or whatever...where is the line drawn? I say everyone should keep quiet!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to "lighten" it up when I made mention of the "Go Rebecca" incident, I have not "felt the love" from alot of people for a while now, especially when they decide to bash corps on here, how is that any different then yelling at a show?

As for another thing, I think barijazz missed the fact that you were talking about some jerk yelling out a girl's name during a performance by an all-guy corps. :lol:

Tracey, you got it just about right. Hecklers are just ignorant, low class people. They should be ashamed. There should be no support for hecklers. Otherwise, some day they just could be heckling during your favorite corps favorite moments. As for lumping all people together, most reasonable people can separate out those who are imbeciles and are overbearing in their positions, and those who bring to the table legitimate criticism and a request for change in an appropriate fashion. Hecklers tend to be intolerant people by nature. It's a sign of immaturity as well, no matter the hecklers age. But you can't go to any sporting event in America, and not see significant groups of hecklers in attendance. But heckling kids in drum Corps is certainly a little different than heckling millionaire Pro players too.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

Amen Tracey!! Keep on preaching.........the kids deserve better than people screaming at them about things that are out of their control. If you don't like the shows with amps, go visit the souvie table during them, then do something PRODUCTIVE to try to affect change in the activity.

~ginger

So, then, all - why not weigh in on if it's correct and "cool" to yell "Vanguard" at the correct moment, or "SUTA" or whatever it is that certain people think are cool but others don't.

Whether it be a for instance Rebecca, or it be Vanguard, it's still distracting....can anyone say one is classy and the other isn't?  Which is it?  I've read many times how "way cool" it is, and where and when do we yell "Vanguard' or whatever...where is the line drawn?  I say everyone should keep quiet!

i somehow feel like i should put my $0.02 in here:

IMHO, i think it is quite ok for the crowd to yell "VANGUARD" at that spot in the show. i have had former corpsmates and friends who have marched scv and just about all of them say it is a HUGE hype when a ton of people yell "VANGUARD!!!!" at that right spot in the show. maybe not as effective with just a few people yelling, but still a cool feeling none-the-less for the members. and i, for one, am all about adding to a corps member's hype during/before a show.

that being said, i am also for yelling "go ______" BEFORE or AFTER a show. i think it is rude to do it during a show, especially during a quiet moment - prime example: "CRYSTAL!!" in scv '00 - totally ruined the transition from adagio to the closer. THAT is what i am against when it comes to yelling.

i will be there yelling for my past corpsmates and friends marching in various corps this summer, but i will NOT yell anything during a performance; except at any, and ALL, applicable baby-throwing moments! :P b**bs

and shouting anything rude or demeaning during a corps performance should be reason to be removed from the stands. <**> no doubt. i agree with tracey's original post about that part.

see you all in murray on the 28th and murfreesboro on the 29th and then at finals!

-matt dudek

rochester patriots - 1998 drum major

allegheny nightstorm - 2000 founding member/baritone

music city legend - 2004

Whether it be a for instance Rebecca, or it be Vanguard, it's still distracting....can anyone say one is classy and the other isn't?  Which is it?  I've read many times how "way cool" it is, and where and when do we yell "Vanguard' or whatever...where is the line drawn?  I say everyone should keep quiet!

Might wanna check your haircut on this one, cause the discussion went just over your head. The whole point is disruptive comments during shows. Screaming out your opinions on drum corps IN THE MIDDLE OF A SHOW is not proper etiquette. I'm pretty sure if you went to a performance of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and shouted to the conductor "HEY! TCHAIKOVSKY IS PLAYED OUT, GIMME SOME JOHN CAGE!!", you'd have a lot of glares in your direction if not be thrown out entirely. Which parallels the whole <insert female name> during Cavies/Madison shows - it's disrespectful to the corps on the field and you deserve to have your ### chucked out of the stadium for screaming that.

The difference with SUTA and VANGUARD being yelled is that they are hype-ups for the performers. Heck, I don't know how SCV designs their shows, but it seems that they have those pauses in there explicitly as a point to scream "VANGUARD!!!", and if they do, the kids know to expect people to do it. It's like BAC with the Conquest shots, there is a vocal part that when I would hear the crowd do it got me going. I don't pretend to know what SUTA means, but for the people at Phantom it's a hype-up and I'm pretty sure that alumni are apt to scream it at appropriate times, ie just before the corps begins performing. Or Cadets alumni shouting "Whatta maneuvaah!" after a difficult drill maneuver. They are all things that are about the actual corps on the field and are all corps specific, involving some of the lore of the corps.

Not some d###### voicing his disagreement with the show design.

Disrespectful vs. Hype-up, and you missed it.

Might wanna check your haircut on this one, cause the discussion went just over your head. The whole point is disruptive comments during shows. Screaming out your opinions on drum corps IN THE MIDDLE OF A SHOW is not proper etiquette. I'm pretty sure if you went to a performance of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and shouted to the conductor "HEY!  TCHAIKOVSKY IS PLAYED OUT, GIMME SOME JOHN CAGE!!", you'd have a lot of glares in your direction if not be thrown out entirely. Which parallels the whole <insert female name> during Cavies/Madison shows - it's disrespectful to the corps on the field and you deserve to have your ### chucked out of the stadium for screaming that.

The difference with SUTA and VANGUARD being yelled is that they are hype-ups for the performers.  Heck, I don't know how SCV designs their shows, but it seems that they have those pauses in there explicitly as a point to scream "VANGUARD!!!", and if they do, the kids know to expect people to do it.  It's like BAC with the Conquest shots, there is a vocal part that when I would hear the crowd do it got me going. I don't pretend to know what SUTA means, but for the people at Phantom it's a hype-up and I'm pretty sure that alumni are apt to scream it at appropriate times, ie just before the corps begins performing.  Or Cadets alumni shouting "Whatta maneuvaah!" after a difficult drill maneuver.  They are all things that are about the actual corps on the field and are all corps specific, involving some of the lore of the corps.

Not some d###### voicing his disagreement with the show design.

Disrespectful vs. Hype-up, and you missed it.

I think it all boils down to proper and appropriate behavior. Cheering on your favorite corps = OK, yelling inappropriate remarks before, during or after the corps performance = not OK, yelling anything during the BSO performance = not OK, yelling anything during the Outkast concert = OK (within reason, but I don't know the reason). It just takes a little thought and common sense.

People yelling anything at any corps during a performance is completely inappropriate. The people on the field put in numerous hours, blood, sweat, tears and a ton of money for an 11 minute performance. The people in the stands bought tickets to enjoy the performances on the field. They have gone to work, made money, paid taxes, bought tickets, paid for gas, incurred some additional expense (depreciation of the car's value, wear and tear, etc.) and spent time making arrangements to hook up with their friends at the show. They have earned the right to a good recording of the performances on ther field - please don't ruin it.

There are respectful ways in which you can show support for your corps. Applause and appreciation for the performance is appropriate. Showing your excitement about a performance is also appropriate. If Vanguard invites you to be a part of a performance at one moment of their show, that's what the written silence is for, then do you part and yell Vanguard at that moment. You should just avoid hampering others in the stands from enjoying what is happening on the field.

Most of the "yellers" are extremely selfish and rude. Yelling an inappropriate statement is completely disrespectful to the performers, it's disrespectful to their supporters, it's disrespectful to the other fans and it's disrespectful to the activity. Unfortunately I don't think DCI is capable of enforcing polite behavior at drum corps shows. Until your name is on the play bill or you are a member of a performing corps, you're an audience member. Be respectful of the performers and other audience members around you. Put aggressively, keep your yapper shut.