Birmingham?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it time :) People are still at work and haven't had time since last night to write. Looking forward to reading them though.

Guest mafields627

Here goes. Sorry if you're offended, but I tell it like it is.

Corpsvets -- Compared with past years, I was let down a bit. They didn't seem to have the numbers or volume that they have in past years. I noticed some interval problems in the drill. I was really expecting some balls-to-the-wall throwdown in Big Noise and just didn't get it. I hope this is just an "off year" and not a new direction for them.

Court of Honor -- Was pleasantly surprised. Much better than the other DIII corps I have seen. The platforms were well used although the trumpet move leaving the left platform seemed awkward. The music was good, although the brass seemed tired by the end of it. I hope this corps makes it to DI level one year. Props to the trumpet soloist.

Cap Regiment -- Their show left me a little flat and the programming didn't make sense. Doxology with random Holsinger tunes? Scootin' on the Hardrock was dirty. I'd say that they are a solid young corps.

Glassmen -- The guard work at the beginning was very nice with the dresses. Very classy and elegant, and then the spandex comes out. The stuff was well played, but I just don't remember any of it. The Appalachian Spring/Copland stuff was good, but I wish that they would have just played the Shaker Hymn outright. All of these little hints and snippets doesn't cut it. I had them coming in below Spirit.

Spirit -- first corps of the evening with amps. I could tell a difference and that difference was that the pit was too loud. I was sitting on row K, right in front of their amps, and the pit was covering the hornline at times. Their backward marching technique was pretty sloppy -- no one was doing the same thing. The music left me kinda flat, although it had some good moments. I had them coming in above Glassmen, but apparently a contra got some grass time toward the end and I missed that. So, Spirit, please quit doing the Cavies Jr. thing. And, get some navy pants...it's distracting seeing navy shakos and black pants on the corps and then all navy on the drum majors.

Boston -- Was a good show, except for the poetry reading. I agreed with the fan that yelled out "Turn off the amps!" It was distracting and obliterated some solos at times. The generater or whatever they had was distracting. They've got a sop player with some good chops. Overall, I liked the show but the voice over took away from it. I don't like angry poetry being shouted at me.

BD -- All I'm really going to say is that their show was good. Very entertaining and it flows much better than, say, two years ago. They had the best handle on the use of amps. The doppler effect with the cones and mellos was lost on me as I was sitting fairly low.

Spain Park HS is a great place to have a show, but there are a few things I don't like. The home stands face into the sun, so you'll have a headache by the end of the first corps. Also, they got some kid from the local band to play the national anthem on trumpet. Please don't do that again. I heard snickering from behind me, and I was embarassed for him. Great parking and really friendly staff.

Edit: I was PM'ed by a Corpsvets member who told me they were missing quite a few members last night. This definitely makes me feel more confident about their show. I can't wait to see them at JSU this weekend when they'll have the full compliment there.

Edited by mafields627

Here goes.  Sorry if you're offended, but I tell it like it is.

Corpsvets -- Compared with past years, I was let down a bit.  They didn't seem to have the numbers or volume that they have in past years.  I noticed some interval problems in the drill.  I was really expecting some balls-to-the-wall throwdown in Big Noise and just didn't get it.  I hope this is just an "off year" and not a new direction for them.

Edit:  I was PM'ed by a Corpsvets member who told me they were missing quite a few members last night.  This definitely makes me feel more confident about their show.  I can't wait to see them at JSU this weekend when they'll have the full compliment there.

We've had a busy past few days. A show in Rockmart, GA on Saturday, a show in Winston Salem, NC on Sunday, and a show in Birmingham on Tuesday (we also have a mini corps gig on Wednesday). Many of our members couldn't afford to miss more work, so we were down many members in all sections.

Wait for JSU. I promise we won't let you down !!!

Well here goes, folks, I'll pitch this into the melee and all pundits, critics and experts can pound me.

I love that there is a show and event reviews thread and I think it is gutsy to post critical feedback rather than sugar-coat it.

But in all my 29 years of loving drum corps, I cannot for the life of me abide rude jeers, heckling and laughing at kids doing their best to perform what designers give them...as if they have a choice.

It is great to have a forum where we can debate narration, singing, amps, etc., and it is okay that some don't like Boston or Crown, but I will go down swinging at those who make the kids pay for their foul moods by heckling.

To yell "unplug the amps" during Boston's show was one of the lowest things I have witnessed and the no-class who yelled it should be ashamed. I was there, heard it too, and was furious. I would now no more support any anti-amp sentiment than slap my mother, just because of the rotten behavior

If you want to express your opinion, go for change a different way. Sign the petition. Write the staffs. Write DCI. Vent and rage here. Build your skills, go join a staff and outlaw once you're king. Boycott shows. Go tell the judges. But leave the performing kids alone and don't be disrespectful during their shows.

A fundamental principle of art is the critical consumer who can view or not view, listen or not listen, and buy or not buy. Let it fly here, but when you're at a show, be a fan or be gone. Let the rest of us fans, friends and family of drum corps express our appreciation without having to put up with you.

Well here goes, folks, I'll pitch this into the melee and all pundits, critics and experts can pound me.

I love that there is a show and event reviews thread and I think it is gutsy to post critical feedback rather than sugar-coat it.

But in all my 29 years of loving drum corps, I cannot for the life of me abide rude jeers, heckling and laughing at kids doing their best to perform what designers give them...as if they have a choice.

It is great to have a forum where we can debate narration, singing, amps, etc., and it is okay that some don't like Boston or Crown, but I will go down swinging at those who make the kids pay for their foul moods by heckling. 

To yell "unplug the amps" during Boston's show was one of the lowest things I have witnessed and the no-class who yelled it should be ashamed.  I was there, heard it too, and was furious.  I would now no more support any anti-amp sentiment than slap my mother, just because of the rotten behavior

If you want to express your opinion, go for change a different way.  Sign the petition.  Write the staffs.  Write DCI.  Vent and rage here.  Build your skills, go join a staff and outlaw once you're king.  Boycott shows.  Go tell the judges.  But leave the performing kids alone and don't be disrespectful during their shows.

A fundamental principle of art is the critical consumer who can view or not view, listen or not listen, and buy or not buy.  Let it fly here, but when you're at a show, be a fan or be gone.  Let the rest of us fans, friends and family of drum corps express our appreciation without having to put up with you.

Very succinctly stated. Well done Tracey.

"Edit:  I was PM'ed by a Corpsvets member who told me they were missing quite a few members last night.  This definitely makes me feel more confident about their show.  I can't wait to see them at JSU this weekend when they'll have the full compliment there."

Please come check us out again at JSU. Keep in mind that we have some open spots in the hornline.

+1 Tracey. I am no fan of the amped shows that I have heard on the APDs, but I will withold judgement until I see them live. And if I am sitting anywhere near a bozo who decides to vent his displeasure with them DURING a show, someone's getting popped. My APD of Cadets in Louisville has some knucklehead yelling (at least it's between songs, but it's still there and it pisses me off) and I hope no one in Orlando or especially Denver pulls a stunt like that.