Birmingham?

Well here goes, folks, I'll pitch this into the melee and all pundits, critics and experts can pound me.

I love that there is a show and event reviews thread and I think it is gutsy to post critical feedback rather than sugar-coat it.

But in all my 29 years of loving drum corps, I cannot for the life of me abide rude jeers, heckling and laughing at kids doing their best to perform what designers give them...as if they have a choice.

It is great to have a forum where we can debate narration, singing, amps, etc., and it is okay that some don't like Boston or Crown, but I will go down swinging at those who make the kids pay for their foul moods by heckling. 

To yell "unplug the amps" during Boston's show was one of the lowest things I have witnessed and the no-class who yelled it should be ashamed.  I was there, heard it too, and was furious.  I would now no more support any anti-amp sentiment than slap my mother, just because of the rotten behavior

If you want to express your opinion, go for change a different way.  Sign the petition.  Write the staffs.  Write DCI.  Vent and rage here.  Build your skills, go join a staff and outlaw once you're king.  Boycott shows.  Go tell the judges.  But leave the performing kids alone and don't be disrespectful during their shows.

A fundamental principle of art is the critical consumer who can view or not view, listen or not listen, and buy or not buy.  Let it fly here, but when you're at a show, be a fan or be gone.  Let the rest of us fans, friends and family of drum corps express our appreciation without having to put up with you.

There should not be any heckling of any kind, regardless of your dissatisfaction for whats happening on the field..on that same token, there should be no screaming or any other type of vocal outburst or intrusion of any kind during a corps performance.

Which is more rude??

"Un-plug the amps" or "oh my god, the baby's burning" or "Can of corn Cavies" or "Go (insert name)"...or what about "We love you Mellisa, best Crossmen ever" ...my point ? Rudeness is rudeness, wether done for a positive aspect or a negative aspect.

After the Crossmen plane incident....how many came on the boards and defended the parents for their actions ??? They were just as rude as the person yelling out "un-plug the amps" yet its ok because its not such a negative thing ?? Its just as rude and disrespectful......

I guess thats the point I was trying to make.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, but what about the idiots who yell stuff like "Go Rebecca" while Madison Scouts are playing, should they be removed as well?

Oh yeah, it has happened....

Guest mafields627
Interesting, but what about the idiots who yell stuff like  "Go Rebecca" while Madison Scouts are playing, should they be removed as well?

Oh yeah, it has happened....

Especially those people!!! :P

Oh yeah and Tracey, try not to allow what one person's action did at a show, put those of us whom are against the amps in one category. I think you know what I'm trying to say. Just because one guy offended you doesn't mean the rest of us who are against the amps will.

I can understand you being angry at that person for doing that but it's not right to make it seem like the rest of us who are protesting act that way. I hope you get where I'm coming from....

And what sins do YOU commit behind YOUR doors ?? You arent my preacher, dont preach to me. I didnt sign up for your class, dont try and teach me.

And for the record.......while you are trying to be high and mighty and tussle your opinion or pseudo-wrath on others....worry about your own back yard.

And..what makes you thin that everyone or anyone who attends a show, shouts out at a show, or loves/hates a certain corp(s) reads DCP.......

Plenty of people who dont log onto DCP have opinions and feelings too...imagine that ????

I expect youto next grab one of them Crown mikes and scold or discipline them next or youa re just a hypocrite who found a soap box to stand on and feel like using it to your own advantage.

How unbelievable .. and while Im not for shouting out anything at a performance pro or con, I'll be dammned if Im gonna get up and judge someone else for expressing themselves over something they feel so strongly about..........

:ramd:

~G~

I think you just entirely missed the point of his post, although considering your recent rants I can't say I'm entirely surprised. He never claimed that the guy who DID yell looks at DCP, but he is saying that those who DO read on this forum should be aware of how insulting it is to the performers themselves when things like that are yelled. The person yelling may THINK he/she is directing the comment toward the visual staff or program coordinators, etc., but it is, in fact, the kids out on the field who have to look at the audience members yelling that comment TOWARDS THEM and the people who train them. As the poster so wisely stated, disagreeing with amps is not a bad thing, but there are proper channels for pursuing the discontinuation of amps, and yelling things during the middle of a performance is not one of them.

The poster is also not talking about anyone commiting sins behind any doors, so I feel you are entirely out of line by making it seem like he's offering a condemnation of any individual. He is commenting about a way of expressing an opinion. I doubt very much that if a person were to yell "you suck" during any performance that the person would be looked highly upon. Yet somehow, when the person insults the performers and professional staff by yelling about amps DURING A SHOW, it becomes a noble cause?? I feel the person should be ashamed...no matter how strongly you feel about what a corps is doing, ruining their performance by shouting unfruitful and discouraging remarks during the show should never be defended, no matter what cause they are promoting.

And what sins do YOU commit behind YOUR doors ?? You arent my preacher, dont preach to me. I didnt sign up for your class, dont try and teach me.

And for the record.......while you are trying to be high and mighty and tussle your opinion or pseudo-wrath on others....worry about your own back yard.

And..what makes you thin that everyone or anyone who attends a show, shouts out at a show, or loves/hates a certain corp(s) reads DCP.......

Plenty of people who dont log onto DCP have opinions and feelings too...imagine that ????

I expect youto next grab one of them Crown mikes and scold or discipline them next or youa re just a hypocrite who found a soap box to stand on and feel like using it to your own advantage.

How unbelievable .. and while Im not for shouting out anything at a performance pro or con, I'll be dammned if Im gonna get up and judge someone else for expressing themselves over something they feel so strongly about..........

So are you saying that you think it's basically okay if someone actively and purposely disrupts a performance? That's what it sounds like.

I am just not feeling the love here. :lol: Basically, I agree that while you may not support something a corps is doing, like using amps, it should not be yelled at the performers. As if they can control the matter. Start a petition, boycott shows, call DCI anything but disrupt a show. Yelling at these kids is an extremely improper behavior. What does yelling "turn off the amps" accomplish? Nothing!!!!!!!!! Absolutely nothing.

About yelling "Go Rebecca" or whatever the name would be is in my opinion something entirely different. I am there not only to watch the corps but to well let's just say that some people call it...hmmm.... SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These people have worked hard on their show and it behooves me to let them know. Yes, I also stand, clap and yell for them as well.

Now for what I originally signed on for.

The corps in B'ham played really well. You know playing in that kind of heat has to be hard. Even the corps from around here who are used to this type of heat can find it difficult at best. Court of Honor had a good show. There were a few rough spots but overall were very good. I heard them in Kennesaw and their standstill was great. Marching puts its own demands on good playing. Guys keep up the good work for this small but competitive corps.

Capital Regiment was sharp. I was happily suprised by their show.

Glassmen were really classy. Guard in the beginning was holding my attention but then somewhere during the show lost it. They have a good sound and I know as the season pushes forward so will they.

This is was the first time for me to see Spirit in competition. While not impressed much by the music I was by their drill. Extremely visual. Guard is great. Hated for the contra who found the grass and also for the corps to have to march around the shako until a judge decided it needed to be moved.

Boston Crusaders marched clean and enjoyed the music. I was not however impressed with the end of their show. I just knew their was going to be something else to end with but alas, not.

Blue Devils.....really enjoyed their music selection. Summertime and Boogie Woogie were hyping me up. Sound effects for the train were great. Like B.C. though I was unimpressed with the ending of their show. Just ending up in the endzone was not a way to end an astounding show.

I know the CorpsVets were first but I have saved them for last in my review. You know for these guys, who by the way work for a living, to have had their first competition last Saturday and then leave out for N.C. on Sunday, compete that very day, head back home for some sleep, albeit not much, and then come back to Spain Park for exhibition on Tues. has to be exhausting. I admire these people who love drum corps so much that they want to continue on and share it with the fans. If it weren't for these advanced corps people who never had the opportunity to be in a junior corp the experience would be lost forever for them.

CorpsVets your uniforms rock. Miss seeing the gauntlets though. I know since you guys were so tired from your recent travels and that friggin heat had to be hard to play through I thought you were great. DCI scoring is tough. I do not agree with that score though. It should have been much higher.

Having seen this corps perform before Tues., I knew what to expect. Johnny One Note starts the event off with excitement. Slowing things down a bit with Naima to get you ready for Big Noise. I was with you guys until this selection. Contras were sluggish as they have been. Hope contras and percussion improve before Jacksonville. Also, the drill could be cleaner. I am always sad when you guys don't play Georgia. Your sop. soloist does a great job and the way you guys hold that last note very impressive. Sends chills everytime I hear it. Maybe you will think about adding that in. Jazz is your heritage and Georgia embodies that. When A Man Loves a Woman rounds out the night. The solo player needs more control. Sounds a bit shaky.

Remember I am not doggin' you guys. I do believe in constructive criticism and I know you guys will take it to heart. Can't wait to see you in J'Ville and hope you will have had some time to rest since Tues. Good Luck!!!! I know the more shows you march gives you the chance to polish up things. See ya Sunday. :lol:

I was trying to "lighten" it up when I made mention of the "Go Rebecca" incident, I have not "felt the love" from alot of people for a while now, especially when they decide to bash corps on here, how is that any different then yelling at a show?

I was trying to "lighten" it up when I made mention of the "Go Rebecca" incident, I have not "felt the love" from alot of people for a while now, especially when they decide to bash corps on here, how is that any different then yelling at a show?

For starters, it doesn't interrupt a show or distract the performers during a show.