South Milwaukee, 7/25/04

I didn't take copious notes last night, but here are some overall impressions from the South Milwaukee Spectacle City show. I don't remember the exact order of performance, and it's not in the program, but here's my best shot:

Joliet Kingsmen (53.1): Guard show now looks complete and they add a lot to the show. Nice uni's, complement the corps well (sadly, this is an exception these days). Brass line continuing to improve. Closer particularly strong. Still very confused on the intro to "I Believe I Can Fly" but they get stronger when the melody hits. Not sure why this part continues to be such a problem. Marimbas are a real highlight, as always.

Chops (64.1): As always, entertaining bordering on comical. Repeated problems in the refrain of "Simple Gifts" have been resolved for the most part. Fun show to watch.

Bandettes (65.3): Brass now playing with a level of confidence approaching that of the last couple of years. Good balance, projection, etc. No obvious problems. Good, solid show all around. Guard still a bit out of sync in spots.

Govenaires (69.1): Very entertaining. I don't usually focus much on the color guard, but this guard really captivated me. It's an all-female guard except for one guy. They're all good, but he's really something. Very fun to watch - talented but obviously not taking himself too seriously. Kind of a motto for the whole corps. Good brass sound.

Kilties (69.55): Continued improvement. Brass very musical. Some guard problems yet, but it's now a complete show. Percussion excellent. Very entertaining show, the crowd really loved it.

Blue Stars (76.74 - that's what I have written; not sure how that happened): No obvious weaknesses. Strong all through - musically and drill-wise. They take advantage of their larger size this year well. Brass particularly noticeable.

Minnesota Brass (85.65): May contend for DCA championship this year - they're that good. Loud, in sync, musical - everything you want in a show. Crowd was on its feet well before this one ended. Good support for the "moon" theme throughout the show.

Royal Airs: Another great exhibition. They play really well and the drill - though not complex - is fun to watch.

Show overall: This show has a "neighborhood get-together" feel more than a polished production. The similarities to Kilties Klassic a couple of weeks ago are scary, right down to trying to find the street I parked on after the show. Stands were not large (it's a middle school, after all). Good attendance, though. Needed more port-a-johns (read, desperately needed). Concessions limited but OK. Parking non-existent - they reserved it all for the corps (hence me trying to find my car after the show...). Lots of little "glitches", but overall a very fun evening - one I'd do again.

We were all told Friday that everyone would be judged on DCA sheets. At least on Saturday night.

Who knows?

I heard from somewhere that this show was judged on DCA sheets.  Is that right?  The scores seem to justify that.  Blue Stars went from a 65 to a 76.  Should be interesting to see where they are on 2/3 sheets on Tuesday.

Fischer

We were all told Friday that everyone would be judged on DCA sheets.  At least on Saturday night. 

Who knows?

Much as Id like to think we could have jumped 13 pts in DCI sheets Terri, we didnt. Those were DCA sheets last night. Now finally we have a read on where we stand vs the rest of the senior world. MBI clearly is going to contend for the title.

Edited by dans24103

Show overall:  This show has a "neighborhood get-together" feel more than a polished production.  The similarities to Kilties Klassic a couple of weeks ago are scary, right down to trying to find the street I parked on after the show.  Stands were not large (it's a middle school, after all).  Good attendance, though.  Needed more port-a-johns (read, desperately needed).  Concessions limited but OK.  Parking non-existent - they reserved it all for the corps (hence me trying to find my car after the show...).  Lots of little "glitches", but overall a very fun evening - one I'd do again.

This stadium was formerly the one for So Milwaukee Sr HS and then it became a junior high and now it is a middle school. SM has now built a new HS this year includng a stadium so its not known if that was the last drum corps show there or not.

Its a historic setting, having been the site of the Spectacle of Music for decades. The Spectacle used to have over 30 corps and 20 bands competing in field, concert and inspection categories For years there were also drill teams, This show used to be the biggest contest in the midwest.