Murray, Ky. Review

This is just going to be a quick review. (Not trying to win any contest here.)

Music City Legend, Nashville, Tn. (My first viewing) - This is a new senior corps from just down the road from Murray. They opened the competition with the National Anthem and did quite well. Then they did their own show. Just 15 horns, 6 percussion and no guard. Only the hornline marched while the drums were on the sideline. I was VERY impressed with the amount of sound they produce with such a small hornline. Nice quality and pretty well centered pitch. The show was fun. It was nice to see the "old guys" doing it again.

Southwind, Lexington, Ky. - Sorry to say I missed them. Just before they started I got an emergency call from a client and had to get out of the stands to give some tech support over the phone. What I did hear from SW was good... for what it's worth.

Colts, Dubuque, Ia. - Sorry, still on the phone with this client trying to fix a technical problem. (24 hr call sux)

Seattle Cascades, Wa. (My first viewing) - I hadn't seen Cascades at a live show since 2002. I didn't know what to expect. All I knew was that they were hovering around 15th place in the standings. Brass is definitely their strength. Hornline is good enough to get into top 12 but the rest of the corps needs to catch up. I really enjoyed this show. Well paced and beautifully written music. Enjoyed the drill. Great sound in many of the impact points. Exciting finish. I surprised even myself and gave them a standing "O" along with a few other people in the stands.

Magic of Orlando, Fl. (My first viewing) - From the start I could tell they weren't as strong as Cascades. The beginning of the show needs something more to catch my interest. It really gets interesting in the middle with the use of planks by the guard, which got a very positive response from the audience. The pirate and the girl on the plank as it's being held by the guard was really cool... and the water splash was even cooler! "WHERE'S THE RUM?!" Great! So much fun! All the "rum" splashing everywhere. Don't remember much else about the show. Planks and "rum" were the best.

Spirit, Jacksonville, Al. (My second viewing) - Music! Wow! Great musical ensemble sound. Brass and percussion are very strong. I think the hornline isn't getting as much credit from the judges as they deserve. Although I really enjoy hearing quality the show is missing something.

Crossmen, announced as "Sponsored by Y.E.A. New Jersey" (My first viewing) - Very energetic show. Fun. More entertaining than Spirit but not as clean. I liked this show.

Boston Crusaders, Ma. (My second viewing) - I would really like to see some different visual ideas from them for a change. They are using a different show concept with the colors = emotions theme but they're still doing the same drill moves they have been since '99 and '00. Obviously they have a fantastic hornline, drumline and guard from a performance standpoint and I do enjoy that aspect of their show. But the G.E. isn't there and it's apparent from the luke-warm response from the audience. The narration has been cut WAY down and does seem to fit a little better. Not quite as irritating... but still irritating nonetheless. I could really enjoy this show more if they would rely on the music and visual to tell the story and if they would do something new and exciting visually. What's the point of the boxes? The corps appears on the wite side stage right and finishes the show hiding in the boxes on statge left. Ooooh, they dissapeared... oooh! I don't get it and niether did most of the audience. I'm sorry, BAC... I appreciate and enjoy they quality and energy you have in your performance but you have been given a bad show to perform by your staff.

Santa Clara Vanguard, Ca. (My first viewing) - Sheherezade is one of my all time favorite symphonies. I've been listening to it a lot lately in anticipation of SCV's show. SCV does a fantastic job with it. Surely their strongest hornline since '99 and maybe even better. Percussion was super clean. Wicked writing in the drum featur in the closer. Best guard costumes I've seen out of ANY corps in years. The show seems to just end but I can tell their waiting to add something more. I suspect thres going to be a "down" ending added the way the original symphony ends. It would be perfect and true to SCV's style in the past. The show needs someting more and that would do it. I can see why they are finally in the thick of the top 4 but they need more to catapult them to #1.

Murray puts on a very good show. They have a whopper of a stadium with great viewing from every seat in the house. I think it holds bout 17,000 on concert side so they could really host a big show. I reccomend this show to anyone in the region next year.

AND SO WE'RE OFF TO MURFREESBORO!!! (Are we?)

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.000

2 Boston Crusaders 89.600

3 Crossmen 87.850

4 Spirit from JSU 85.800

5 Seattle Cascades 82.600

6 Colts 80.650

7 Magic of Orlando 77.550

8 Southwind 75.950

I dont generally post on such topics but I totally disagree with the scores.

I would have put Boston on top and Magic in somewhere around 4th.

Edited by camel lips

3 Crossmen 87.850

4 Spirit from JSU 85.800

6 Colts 80.650

8 Southwind 75.950

Boston over SCV? Let us know what you are smoking because i want some.

3 Crossmen 87.850

4 Spirit from JSU 85.800

6 Colts 80.650

8 Southwind 75.950

so all total, youd have about an 11 point grievance in the scores. eek.

Thanks for the positive comments. Come visit us in Murfreesboro. We'll be all around the place with our burugndy t-shirts and black ball caps.

This is just going to be a quick review. (Not trying to win any contest here.)

Music City Legend, Nashville, Tn. (My first viewing) - This is a new senior corps from just down the road from Murray. They opened the competition with the National Anthem and did quite well. Then they did their own show. Just 15 horns, 6 percussion and no guard. Only the hornline marched while the drums were on the sideline. I was VERY impressed with the amount of sound they produce with such a small hornline. Nice quality and pretty well centered pitch. The show was fun. It was nice to see the "old guys" doing it again.

3 Crossmen 87.850

4 Spirit from JSU 85.800

6 Colts 80.650

8 Southwind 75.950

hehe

um

no :P

Camel, did you watch the same Magic show I did? You would have put them fourth? Why? I think that the score that they got was accurate. The review above is right on in saying that the only part to remember was the rum and the plank. They didn't do anything else. Just my opinion. Above the Crossmen and Spirit who are both working really hard at their shows and do a much better job?

Hey guys.Its just my opinion and it counts for nothing in the world of Drum corps.

I loved all the corps shows.It was a great evening to be in the stands.I guess I gauge shows a bit differently than the hard core drum corps guys do.

To me GE and the complexity of the show means a lot.

I thought that Magic had a very complex show and pulled it off rather cleanly.As far as GE is concerned I don't think anyone will raise a lot of stink if I say their show was extremely entertaining.

As far as the BC vs SCV goes,no doubt SCV had a clean show.Probably the cleanest of the evening.It seems like the BC had a much more complex drill and they did it VERY cleanly.Also their drill was not only complex but very original.VERY entertaining.

Hornline was very solid with both BC and SCV but I felt moved by BC music and the roundness off the sound.I did not feel that way about SCV.

I agree with what was said earlier about the narration.It was very distracting and took away from the whole GE.

Camel, did you watch the same Magic show I did? You would have put them fourth? Why? I think that the score that they got was accurate. The review above is right on in saying that the only part to remember was the rum and the plank. They didn't do anything else. Just my opinion. Above the Crossmen and Spirit who are both working really hard at their shows and do a much better job?

This is just going to be a quick review.  (Not trying to win any contest here.)

Music City Legend, Nashville, Tn.  (My first viewing) -  This is a new senior corps from just down the road from Murray.  They opened the competition with the National Anthem and did quite well.  Then they did their own show.  Just 15 horns, 6 percussion and no guard.  Only the hornline marched while the drums were on the sideline.  I was VERY impressed with the amount of sound they produce with such a small horn line.  Nice quality and pretty well centered pitch.  The show was fun.  It was nice to see the "old guys" doing it again. 

Almost forgot to say THANKS for the glowing review.Its folks like you that keep us motivated and progressive.

We put together the drill rather quickly and from what I saw it looked like we pulled it off cleanly.The crowd sure seams to like our congo line in RIO.

I was very pleased with the way we sounded last night and want to give my fellow corps members a pat on the back for such a great effort and musical performance.I really felt like we were on our game last night.I feel very strongly that with some cleaning and polishing with the drill that we will have a very strong performance at Scranton that will hopefully surprise a lot of folks.