Quarterfinals Quickie

These are just my quick 2 cents worth....

Magic - FUN! Keep all those kids next year, work on the hornline (or get a new brass staff) and do another fun show next year.

Colts - Very well written music. Don't remember much else. Can someone remind me of highlights?

Cascades - Another very well written show. Excellent hornline!

Cap Reg - Get new uniforms, please. Another excellent hornline and a very good drumline as well.

Spirit - Love the music. Great horns. Need work on the drums. Emotion is flat especially at the end. Clean up those little mistakes in drill.

Glassmen - Enjoyed this show much better than the last few years. I'd put it up there with '98 and '99 in terms of enjoyability. Excellent visual. Brass lost steam at the end.

Blue Knights - WOW! You guys were on FIRE! Very well performed and a well designed show. Very nice hornline. You are definitely in for finals.

Crossmen - Another fun, crowd appealing show. Like the new unis. Don't remember a lot of it.

Scouts - Didn't get exciting till Malaga. If the rest of the show had that much excitement it would be like '95 all over again. Drill isn't as hard as Boston... or is Boston's drill not as hard as it looks? Hmmm. Pivoting company front was finally cleaner than last time I saw you. Very end rocked. Guard is getting better and better.

Boston - I finally was able to enjoy most of your show a lot more because you took out most of the narration. The bit at the end I can almost tolerate. That aside, strong performance. Get off the yard lines and hash marks for a change and do some challenging drill. What's the point of all the boxes? Great guard!!!! Excellent drums. So-so hornline.

Crown - FANTASTIC! (despite the amped vocals) Superb hornline!!! Wodnerfully written music and visual. The tipped crown towards the end would have had me out of my seat if I weren't in a movie theater. I hope you stay ahead of Boston at finals. Congrats on your finest corps ever. Onward and upward!

Bluecoats - Very enjoyable show. Gorgeous horns. Great musical ensemble. Excellent guard. Can't remember much else. Didn't affect me as much as Crown.

Phantom - Love the music more than last year. BEST MELLOPHONE LINE OF THE YEAR! To move up with Cadets, SCV, BD and Cavies you need a harder or more effective drill. Standing still too much during difficult passages. The wedge was great! Can you do something to surprise us? Spice it up a little?

Cadets - I really appreciate how well your musicians play and march. The design of the show is strange especially that thing towards the end where you start marching towards the backfield then turn back around for a pit feature and the twirler comes back out. Just didn't work for me.

Vanguard - Holy drumsticks, Batman! Incredible drummers! Friggin tasty charts! Hornline is the loudest but needs to darken up the tone a lot more especially in high brass. Players aren't listening enough. They're just blasting as loud as they can with not enough thought about quality. LOVE THIS MUISIC! Like the new ending but it's predictable.

Blue Devils - I enjoy every bit of this show from beginning to end. A perfect score in horns is a bit much because from what I heard you're hornline was not perfect tonight. There were some players sticking out a bit in the beginning. Soloist were almost dead on! WOW! Very cool train sound effects. And the ending is cool but you need to do something to whop the audience over the head at the last moment.

Cavaliers - Hornline aint as good as BD but drums were better than BD. Teriffic show. Loved the whistling. Again, the best drill of any other corps out there. The horns and guard in the triangle / rifle stunt was almost dead on! The ending drill was insane! I kept waiting to see someone crash.

My favorites in order....

1. Cavies

2. BD

3. SCV

4. Phantom

5. Crown

6. Bluecoats

7. Scouts

8. Crossmen

9. Cadets

10. Blue Knights

11. Spirit

12. Glassmen

13. Cascades

14. Magic

15. Cap Reg

16. Colts

17. Boston

"Glassmen - Enjoyed this show much better than the last few years. I'd put it up there with '98 and '99 in terms of enjoyability. Excellent visual. Brass lost steam at the end."

I'd agree with this whole heartedly with one thing to add. Their brass soloists had major problems last night, too. Having heard what they played, played correctly, there were cracks in every performance. That, coupled with running out of gas at the end probably stopped them from scoring as much as a point and a half to two points higher in my estimation.

The design of the show is strange especially that thing towards the end where you start marching towards the backfield then turn back around for a pit feature and the twirler comes back out. Just didn't work for me.

The way I heard this explained, was that the turn to back was the end of the rock concert, and everything after that was the encore.

"Glassmen - Enjoyed this show much better than the last few years. I'd put it up there with '98 and '99 in terms of enjoyability. Excellent visual. Brass lost steam at the end."

I'd agree with this whole heartedly with one thing to add.  Their brass soloists had major problems last night, too.  Having heard what they played, played correctly, there were cracks in every performance.  That, coupled with running out of gas at the end probably stopped them from scoring as much as a point and a half to two points higher in my estimation.

I didn't like the camera angles at all during the Glassmen performance. Now, there's no Glassmen APD on the dci site. As a parent, I'm really disappointed in the lopsided coverage. :whistle:

I didn't like the camera angles at all during the Glassmen performance.  Now, there's no Glassmen APD on the dci site.  As a parent, I'm really disappointed in the lopsided coverage.  :whistle:

And a plane flew buy!! (same for BC) what's with that?? Boooo