The Greatest INDY Review PART 1 of 2

First off let me start by saying why does everyone reffer to the show as the INDY show. I think it's the fact that most of us drum corps nuckle heads can't spell a darn thing. This is a review of an adventure and a drumcorps show all wrapped into one, so lets get started.

FRIDAY

7:30pm I depart Syracuse New York with my car loaded to the brim. I am hoping to make it to Columbus Ohio before going to sleep in my car for the night.

SATURDAY

12:02 AM I am pulled over on the side of the highway in the lovely state of Ohio. Only here can you get pulled over for 76 in a 65. Unbelievable. 110 dollars wasted.

5:45 AM Pull into the RCA dome parking lot, first car there. Couldn't get to sleep after that Police incident, so I just drove through.

8:30 AM Awakened by the sweet sound of Doc Beat in the parking lot maybe 30 yards from my car. I get up, put on some sandals and begin one LONG day of drum corps. I watch the drumline march some boxes and do some basic warmups (8's, triplet rolls, etc.) I am surprised to see Madison marching only 5 bass drums. And the cymbal line isn't with the drumline, they're over by the pit... something odd is going on.

9:20 Madison assembles as a complete corps dor ensemble. They run the entrance (Pretty neat) then the opener right off the bat. After the opener:

MY REACTION: Flags are REALLY dirty, I'm a drummer... I shouldn't notice that!"

2 GUYS NEXT TO ME: "They've (Guard) gotten worse since we saw them in Toledo!"

Guard Caption Head: "Guard, not bad for a cold run guys."

(TWO GUYS and I Gawk at eachother in disbelief)

Now more people start showing up and as often is the case so do some pretty STUPID comments, ones such as...

"Glassmen, I mean I don't like their music, but it does something for me."

IN RESPONSE:

"Yeah, but Phantom is getting louder."

I continue to watch as Madison runs through its show chunks at a time. After close inspection I honestly feel that if Madison DOESN'T play Saturday night in Madison they will be my favorite 13th place finisher ever. Guard is holding them back. If they had Southwind's guard (*HINT HINT*) they'd be a solid 10th. After meeting up with a guy I used to march with who just left his DIV 2 corps of 4 years to march MADISON this year (What a year to go to Scouts Tim...) I head to the stadium. First I meet up with the PR souvie ladies and inform them that they are the hit of the internet with their bobble heads and other knick knacks. Then I head to the DVD display that is being set up. The following is my exchange with the person setting up the display:

Me: 40 dollars each?

Him: Yup. We have 99 down to 84 and 81 in stock here.

Me: So the question everyone is dying to know is, last 2 years, top 12 coming out on DVD?

Him: Eventually, a few years in the future.

Me: This year's top 12?

Him: Yes, we're trying to compress it on to a reasonable number of discs.

Me: Like 4?

Him: Actually 3. 2 for the top six with all the judges commentaries and features from the past 2 years and bottom 6 on disc 3 with high view and multi view, no judges tracks.

Then I go to take my seat and wait for the action to begin....

Tease!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see that you have Part II up!

(Yeah, what a tease)

Like the comments from others that you posted. They are a bit...er...funny.

(The plight with Madison's guard reminds me of my freshman marching season. The guard had to rework everything and it was very frustrating. Maybe I'll see them, maybe I won't at finals!)