mellophone mouthpieces

mellopet

The Benge (UMI) Mello 6 has been the standard. I spent many year with one on my lips. This past year I purchased a Kanstul F mello with a Kanstul 6 mouthpiece. It is pretty much indentical cup and rim wise to the Mello 6.

I recently have been experimenting with a Curry 3TF trumpet piece. It has a very unique and deep cup. It is really a trumpet piece but has a shorter shank that makes it only sightly longer then the Mello 6. Tuning has not been an issue. I really like the much larger cup then the mello 6. Very promising.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best mello mouthpiece: UMI mello 6, hands down...

The Wayne Downey MD1 is a decent mello mouthpiece (and hasn't been mentioned yet). It is made by DEG and it tends to play a little more bright than the old Mello 6's did, but it's not an offensive sound in the right hands (or on the right lips, I guess). The Mello 6 was a great mouthpiece, but it isn't manufactured anymore. You might be able to find one on Ebay if you are lucky, but good luck finding enough to outfit an entire section. Several manufacturers claim to have copied the Mello 6, but I haven't found one that was exactly like it. Good luck finding the mouthpiece that works best for you.

JM

does anyone know anythign about the yamaha 14F4 mouthpiece? is it similar to the umi one?

i got to try the umi m6 and you all are right, thats a pretty sweet moutpiece and i was really sad to switch back to my 3C. i felt like volume was x3 and suddenly pitch and tone were totally centered, for once.

Well the one year I did march mello.... I played on mello6v, Bach3c, Bac 1 1/4.

3C doesnt' give you that round dark soudn you want for mello, but it works okay

Mello6v standard... decent... worked for everyone but me,.... just didn't feel right

And then I played on a Bach 1 1/4 and there it was.... Gave me everthign i wanted, for G horn at least.

well on a F Horn I played onteh Kelly 6V plastic , and I those are even better. I think that's a mouthpiece for mellos.

And here's a question, How come Drum Corps dont' march French Horns... I love the sound and the good sound in all ranges on the marching french horn. In 2002 we had a frech horn part written in the score but never got enough int ehmello line to march french horns... but i really wanna march a french horn in corps.

And here's a question, How come Drum Corps dont' march French Horns... I love the sound and the good sound in all ranges on the marching french horn. In 2002 we had a frech horn part written in the score but never got enough int ehmello line to march french horns... but i really wanna march a french horn in corps.

1. Intonation--The frenchies are harder to play in tune than an F mello

2. Timbre--Many arrangers write for the sound quality and projection you can get out of the mellophone, rather than the sound that is produced by a Horn section

3. Mouthpiece--It is easier to march with a mellophone mouthpiece than a horn mouthpiece. Notice I didn't say it is impossible to march with a horn mouthpiece, however, higher drill/visual demands of modern day drum corps turn people away from the logistics of marching with a horn mouthpiece.

Just a few things that corps take into consideration...there are more, but that's a good start.

JM

Experimented with the 7c, 10c, 13A4A yamaha,.......went back to the 6V that came with the Getzen titleist. It was the only way I could produce the Color that was intended. All others, while range was greater, made it sound like a sop. more or less.

does anyone know anythign about the yamaha 14F4 mouthpiece? is it similar to the umi one?

The Yamaha 14F4 has a fairly deep cup and is noticably larger in diameter then the Mello6. It has a trumpet length shank. I believe it is the mouthpiece that ships with the current Yama mellos which are designed for the trumpet shank. At least that is where I played on one. Liked the cup diameter, though the cup wasn't quiet the combo V & Bowl of the Mello 6. Pretty close.