Isn't it time for a Gus Barbaro thread?

Hey Jagoff!!!

Go to the "1981 Cavaliers" thread in Historical, and this was JUST started yesterday!!

Synchronicity?? :angry:

--Z

Hey Cliff!

Scott here... lemme refresh your memory if you don't recall-

Meadville HS band... we taught the dl in 1983 right before you left for Cali.

Also, I studied with Mark M., Brad A. and Tom N..... as well as Cosmo.

My memorable Cosmo moment was at my '82 audition for a scholorship at Edinboro...

Played some Marimba piece for Cosmo, was nervous as sh*& and Gus was sitting there chain smoking those skanky More cigarettes (the ones that were micro thin and wrapped in brown paper)...

He'd lit one while he still had one going in his ashtray and he was popping chocolates in between tokes... I said I was nervous and Gus looked up at me holding one cigarette in each hand and smiled while saying, "Trust me, I'm more nervous listenin' to ya"

:angry: :(

Alternate Cosmo moment....

He showed a guy standing next to me in a snareline a part 3 times and then asked the guy to play it for him... the guy got halfway through it before he couldn't remember anymore of it and then he kinda just smiled at Gus with this stupid looking blank expression. Gus glared at him and said, "You're about as intense as Gnat."

You could almost see the air go out of the kids whole body.

:P

Alternate Cosmo moment....

He showed a guy standing next to me in a snareline a part 3 times and then asked the guy to play it for him...

Do you mean to say he played the part on the snare, or just fingered the part on top of his gut??

:angry:

--This happened in 1981 all of the time--Gus would play a snare part on his belly with his fingers, some snare player would invariably start laughing, and then Gus would grab some sticks from Bob Niedrich and throw them at the offending snare player!!!! :D

LOL, Gus is an Original!!

Cliff, I'm in NYC now... have been for like 10, 11 years now. Had to leave Philly once my account with King Gong got soooo huge I couldn't possibly repay it! :music::blink::music:

You ever hear from Bill Barbour? I had one email with him a bit back and that was all... I think he's teaching elementary kids(??).

Last you and me spoke was via tele about some CD's of the Monkey Chant... it's been a minute for sure.

How about the Edinboro/Erie Crew... Brad, Mark & Tom (who I think is now a lawyer?!)?

Shoot me your mailing address via a PM and I'll send you out some stuff I've done and a release of mine on CMP out of Cologne, Germany.

BTW, for the sake of my acid-soaked brain cells... do you recall Kenny Brooks and Mark Botti?? If so, any 411's on them and what they've been up to?

Hey Cliff!

Scott here...

Scott C? Hey, long time no see! Still in Philly?

At least he was listening to you. He spent one of my juries inspecting drum shells. That finger rolls on the belly thing was too much. Could have used it for a practice pad.

Mostly I remember "constructive" comments like...

Play it right!

and...

Face it, you suck!

but, the best advice of all...

######! Play it more MUSICAL!... meatball...

We love ya Gus! :music:

Did you guys ever meet Gertrude, Gus's deaf boxer dog? What a pair.

Gus: GERTRUDE!!!

Gertrude: ...

Gus: GERTRUDE!!! Get away from the goddam door! (she used to sit on the porch and lean on the screen door so it couldn't open)

Gus: GERTRUDE!!!

Charlotte: Gus, she can't hear you...

Gus: She can hear me... She's just not trying! GERTRUDE!!!

Gus: GODDAMMIT! SHE FARTED!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Too much.

But, I must say... I needed a good kick in the butt sometimes and he was always there to do it.

don't remember if it was '75 or '76, but...............

GE Percussion tape:

(in a "sexy' sort of way) "Go Blue Devils, Go" (it almost seemed like the "climax")