Braces

liebot

so yeah, i'd had braces for like 3 years, and had adjusted to playing with them, and was excited because my chops had significantly increased over tour... only to come back and take my braces off, only to have my range go down the crapper... i'm sure other people have struggled with this, anyone have any suggestions as to what they did or what i could do to get back to how i was with braces?

I feel your pain. Got mine off about three years ago and I'm just now getting the range back. If you practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more, then you'll be fine for next season. I haven't been too serious about playing until recently so that's why it took me so long. Play in the low tones a lot and the range will come back better than it used to be.

practice and blow with full air.. doesn't mean loud. But its gets your lips used to the air pressure faster without braces. everything that brass lines learn in corps, use that to its maximum potential and you'll get it eventually. But there is no "quick fix" in brass for anything. There are temporary changes that can be made but almost all damage you in the long run.

I.E. f you want your range back ASAP. just start pushing hard and blowing even harder.. its a quick fix, but bad for the long run. (Except for you "hard corps" players out there.. :P )

Hey -- a question right up my alley. :P

I too was a brass player (trumpet) that dealt with having no braces, then braces for 20 months and then getting them off. It's killer on the embrasure. Your muscles have adapted to having braces and now with them off you're now having to strengthen once again to get your chops back.

Keep at it though, I was still able to keep my 1st part position. I was able to help regain my ranges with arpeggio runs when I practiced -- lots of air too. It's not gonna be a quick fix by no means -- tons of practice is needed like the other posters have said.

Edited by CorpsFanDentist

(I am a mello player)

I got mine off on August 11th. I could play low range, and up to A on staff without difficulty. I simply practiced a lot (buzzing, long tones, etc.) and switched from my Kelly to a metal mouthpiece. I did work, playing my entire show an octave down. I did a lot of screaming (on horn and off horn). After a while it just seems to magically work.

Now, August 24th, I can get to E on staff without difficulty, and get up to G right above with a deep breath 2 seconds before. My quality has improved to the point that I am able to play a mello solo in our show better than my section leader (again).